... and the Festivities Begin

End of year celebrations for the ladies and their partners
By Val
@valmnz (12772)
New Zealand
Where has the year gone? It just seems like the other day when my sister and I went off on an Australian cruise this time two years ago. And it certainly doesn't seem like a year since the above photograph was taken. These wonderful people are associated with the local Altrusa women's service group, to which I belong. I belong to a number of small groups, related to local history, writing and the above service group thrown in for good measure. They each take up a little time each month and collectively are enough to stop me from having too much free time. I love them all. This week sees the beginning of the festive season, with each group having their own little end of year celebration as New Zealand heads toward the summer holidays. So, it's time to stop worrying about weight and start worrying about money, as each group holds its own little gathering, some extracting more from the bank account than others. But I wouldn't miss any of them. For me, they're all about friendship and sharing common interests with wonderful people. How about you, are you ready to face the festive season?
@Inlemay (16489)
• South Africa
How jolly that seems - enjoy all your festivities - we start with Carols tonight at the Cricket Stadium in Potchefstroom - Its BIG and all toys and foods go to underprivileged.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
that sounds like a very worthwhile event.
@Inlemay (16489)
• South Africa
@valmnz its the start of everything here - then all the other dinners get on the way - next Monday I have a hubby Corporate one - Black Dress kind of event
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
@Inlemay oh wow, go girl! I don't own a black dress. My husband does own a tie though
@Valmnz My festive thing is a luncheon for Christmas Dec 17 with my book club! I am so excited. IN a while I may volunteer to teach people to read at the library!
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
I can imagne you'll have a lot of fun with your book club.
@valmnz Our head of it told us to read December's book in case we run out if things to talk but she VERY much doubts that as we talk about other books we have read and everything under the sun. They are al bigger talkers than me I know that is hard to believe!
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
@Marty1 and what is December's book?
@silvermist (20108)
@valmnz That is a wonderful photo.I can imagine this year too all of you getting together happily.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
We're having a pot luck dinner this year, tomorrow night, at one of the members homes.
@silvermist (20108)
@valmnz That is good.And what is it that you are taking to the dinner?
We have a few of these sorts of get-togethers to go to. They will all be very enjoyable I'm sure.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
Unfortunately most of mine are in the first week of December, then it goes quiet!
@valmnz It seems to me that, because the period immediately before Christmas used to get so busy, celebrations began being scheduled earlier and earlier. The wheel always seems to swing from one extreme to the next.
Lovely photo Val, I spotted you in the back on the left. We are invited the 8th of December to the annual "senior" banquet offered by our Mayor. This is the official start of the Christmas festivities. We went last year, if it's not too cold, we are going this year too. It's not far from our house and there are limited parking spaces, so we should walk there.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
Good spotting Anna. It's fun to gather together with groups like that isn't it.
@valmnz Yes, it's wonderful to meet at least once a year.
@xFiacre (4391)
@valmnz The only seasonal diner I attend is that laid on by my favourite undertaker and it really is a hoot and a half. Seriously! Moreover they pick up the tab - they can well afford it. But do tell me, how did men slip into that women's group in the photo?
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
Husbands and partners are allowed at social functions - and if you're calling them old men you'll have to call me an old woman!
@xFiacre (4391)
@valmnz And a happy crowd you all seem to be too.
@Jackalyn (6657)
• Oxford, England
It is great you keep so occupied. I do not feel ready at all. I guess I will make plans this week. I want at least to hold a party.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
Time tends to slip by without noticing at this time of the year, so I try and stay organised.
@Jackalyn (6657)
• Oxford, England
@valmnz I usually try and fail to be organised!
• New Delhi, India
Life is to be enjoyed.... No matter what..
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
Especially at this time of the year :-)
• New Delhi, India
@valmnz yes..opportunities should not be missed
My kids and I have decorated inside out home for Christmas but that is as far as I am ready for the holidays. I procrastinate terribly.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
Unlike you, I don't decorate until much closer to the event. This year it will be minimal, as we're going away.
@MGjhaud (20742)
I wish i have one. The only festive day im looking forward to is on the 24th -- Noche Buena. I'll be going home and celebrate it with my family.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
That is nice. My family is small so I enjoy these group occasions.
Good for you !You enjoy a full life after retirement and has been in great demand.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
It's not really rtirement is it, but a change of direction and renewed energy.
@AutumnSnow (4585)
Sounds like a wonderful time, I love christmas and especially New Years Eve.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
I find it rather expensive though ...
I am ready for the season of Christmas to begin and than for New Years to begin.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
It's all going too quickly for me!
@skysnap (17819)
this year passed pretty quickly
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
I agree. Is that a sign of getting older?
I am ready.
@Inlemay (16489)
• South Africa
Great photo!
I am and I am not, this has been both an amazing and awful year. depending on when.
how wonderful to've so many connections with the diff'rent groups, hon. looks like a lovely group 'f folks there'n the pic :) there aint much festivity goin' 'round here, aint been fer some years. the hubs, who's mr. congeniality, dislikes such 'n through the years i've given 'p'n the whole idea.
@Meramar (2344)
We already started as I did all my shoppings already and we just put the Christmas tree and all ornaments. This year, a great part of my family will be present and we will pass these special days together. Besides, there will be only one dinner outside with my collegues of the company where I work.
@SophieY (857)
• South Africa
Oh you are lucky - so many dinners, I just have ONE!