To those that are S.A.D.D. in the darkness . . .

I am here to offer you a different perspective about declining the darkness and NOT making it the worst thing that is happening to you ! That is correct as the lack of sunshine can make one cold, miserable or even down right depressed it can also be looked at as a wonderful time to embrace because it is down time. The simple solution is perspective, which is meant to be altered so one can actually enjoy themselves almost every day of the year, without meds or gadgets. There is the vitamin D3 that can be taken in a capsule form if some doctor has told you it would help with the diagnosis of Seasonal Affective Dysfunctional Disorder, a condition that affects quite a few people of all cultural influences. Instead of giving into the diagnosis, change it ! Begin by accepting that not everyday is the sun going to be exposed cause there are clouds that cover it as well as pollution; however when it is dreary out you don't have t be dreary in. This means that if you are already depressed, the weather has little to do with it, you have to decide after some soul-searching what it is that really made you feel and sense depression. Once noted, YOU have the ability to over come, really you do and a special light bulb or lamp or even pill, is NOT the only way to do this. Here is a little exercise for those that just want to crawl in a hole when darkness engulfs their world . . . Imagine a warm beam of light, even a fireplace log can give you an aura of alivedness BUT that's right imagine it, concentrate strongly on what light is: warmth-- and surround yourself. Rather bathe yourself in it (and if an actual lamp helps, go and buy one) and then look into the gloom with a smile beating it at its own game . . . the reward is absolutely freeing ! So how many of you are affected by the lack of light and what do you do for it ? **Image is mine and is a fireplace log burning that was digitally enhanced to produce an effective illumination !
Vince did a bit wave effect a bit like your image with his photo of Uluru. It's very effective. I love yours.
Oooh could you share it here somehow, love to see it . . . @JudyEv ?
@enlightenedpsych2 Here it is.
@Dena91 (4858)
I don't believe this is something that affects me however I know some whose mood is much more sad and depressed at this time of the year. I think because part of my working is outside from March to Oct. I look forward to some quiet time inside. I agree with you whole heartily that we can imagine a sunny place and it can lift our moods.
Well you sound more balanced then the ones who really truly are affected by that lack of sunshine and dreading the dark kind of feeling. Thanks for visiting and keep maintenance up that 'sunny place' lifting up your mood @Dena91
I am not affected by the lack of light, we have many sunny days even during the cold winter. The image is very nice. We are going to light the fireplace the next 6th of December, to respect the tradition of the night of Saint Nicholas.
Ooooh what is the tradition of Saint Nicholas, I do not know anything about it . . . thanks @LadyDuck
@enlightenedpsych2 For most children in The Netherlands and in some European northern countries, the most important day during December is the 6th of December, when Sinterklaas (St. Nicholas - or Santa Claus) brings them their present. Here in the south of Switzerland we light the fireplace, if the logs catch up quickly without smoke, it will be a good and lucky winter. I have already placed the logs in the fireplace to be sure they will be dry.
@LadyDuck oooh I love to hear about different cultural traditions and the fireplace wood one was good to know. I learned from you, I think, about putting a lemon over a doorway on the 1st of the month to bring in opportunities, so far that trick has worked !
@simone10 (21646)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I am fortunate that I don't get like this when the sun isn't out. I love the rain as it really seems to soothe me. I know that there are a lot of people who are affected by it and you gave them some really great advice.
Oh I am glad you see the positive fall of rain drops cooling, calming and so soothing so that the visuals people with this disorder can begin to heal, one image at a time. Thanks for your continued appreciation of the post and my work @simone10
@simone10 (21646)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes, I can definitely see the positive effect of the rain. I just love it and I think it could rain for days and I wouldn't be bothered by it.
@simone10 as long as it does not freeze, right ?
I like it when it is gloomy , because the weather gets cold . I still feel happy despite the gloomy weather . Though, a sunny day can really make me feel happy too , though , i hate it because it makes the environment outside , so hot , that it triggers my hot flushes . But gloomy or sunny , i feel always alive because it was given to me by God to live another day again.
Well weather permitting, you seem adaptable to either and that my friend is good balance @SIMPLYD
@enlightenedpsych2 THank you for saying that .
@SIMPLYD my pleasure and have a good rest of your day, I am off to sleep
We just had a bunch of gray days and today the snow came again, I find it helps me to keep busy with housework and at the PC. Also listening to some favorite music and I'm beginning to watch Christmas movies.
Ah see so doing fun things that create peace n calm on the inside makes for repelling grief and depression from the outside, thanks @RasmaSandra quite the better excuse to actually enjoy cleaning and housework, huh ?
@enlightenedpsych2 it certainly helps. I was even laughing along with a musical version of Scrooge. So I know my formula works and i'll be able to get the house ready for Christmas.
@RasmaSandra Scrooge has been re-done in a few creative ways and it is always a tradition to see the black and white original. Have you seen that one ?
@quantum2020 (10157)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I feel sometimes affected by the lack of light; however, it´s a roler coaster that I´m used to. I just let the light come to me whenever I need it.
and how do you 'let the light come to you' @quantum2020 ?
@quantum2020 (10157)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
@enlightenedpsych2 I open my senses to the wisdom that is there for us who seek for it. The environment is permeated with all kinds of things; some good some bad, I search for those that are the good ones
@quantum2020 an excellent way to go through lifes challenges, thanks for sharing that
i'd ne'er suffered through such 'til i went to alaska. that first winter t'was a killer! i found the 'key' t'was to keep busy 'n not fret o'er the massive darkness 's the 'shortest day' t'was only 'bout 1 hour 'f daylight. i focused'n the moon dancin' off all that snow 'n kept busy. that'n the joy 'f sittin' 'top the roof watchin' the northern lights 's they swept 'cross the sky. magical schtuff.
Ahh the wonderful moonlight @crazyhorseladycx is equally beneficial if people were not so fearful of the dark . . .
@UncleJoe (11388)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
When life was so much tougher in the days when providing for my family that I couldn't get to sleep unless I "day-dreamed" of a happier place.
Apparently that practice worked right @UncleJoe ? Times are easier I hope for you now
I am fine with the lack of light, but the time change has me waking at 4 a.m. Not a lot to do at 4 a.m.
I so MUCH wish the eastern part of the United States would stop the fall-back, spring-forward routine and just get back to standard time SO all the people who have had their Circadian Rhythm compromised, ca naturally be restored to their best sleep-induced health ! Thanks for sharing @Corbin5
@sabtraversa (13356)
I stay awake during most of the night, so sunlight is surely something I miss, especially in this season. I meditate whenever I feel down, I listen to guided meditation for "cleansing my mind and aura". The image is very nice, by the way. My two favorite colors are there, shape aside!
I find meditation to be quite effective in retrieving the best coping mechanism if something should try and sway me into a depressive state of being, such as lack of sunshine or light, might. Thanks for stopping by @sabtraversa and hope your illumination is spirit-refreshing !
The only thing I'm affected by the darkness is my current non ability to drive in it due to my cataracts. Otherwise I'm not bothered by it.
I have to honestly say that wintering in Florida makes this a non-issue. Last winter was the best winter of my life, even though we get rainy days n Florida the ability to get sunshine so often was very uplifting to the spirit.
@PainsOnSlate (20820)
Not a problem with me but my daughter dropped a wonderful man she was dating for years because he had it and winter in Canada was unbearable for her with him around. They both have different lives now, years ago and they are still friends. Buts that it...
@acelawrites (12719)
We have lots of sunshine here in the Philippines and all year round; so SAD not so much a concern of many people here. But your suggestion could be very helpful for people affected by it.
@CRK109 (14381)
I suffer depression and I used to sleep all day and be awake all night. No sunshine at all. But I've worked very hard to turn that all around. Now that we have so much less sunshine, I find myself sitting by the windows once the sun comes around to my side of the building to get the most I can. It's amazing to me the difference in how I've been feeling since I've turned my life around. I do have a friend affected by the lack of sunlight and she's already suffering quite a bit from it. But she did finally buy a light and I'm hoping that will help her going forward.
The lack of sunlight does not brother me at all.l