Taking a Look at Fidel Castro

Riga, Latvia
His full name was Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz and he was a Cuban politician and revolutionary who governed Cuba for 47 years. First as Prime Minister then as the President until 2006. When he passed away he was 90 years old. Here are some interesting facts about him. • Castro was the leader in Cuba for five decades and therefore counts as the world’s third longest-ruling head of state, after Queen Elizabeth and the King of Thailand. • Even though he faces assassination plots, an invasion and five decades of economic sanctions, Fidel Castro, was able to outlast nine U.S. presidents, from Eisenhower to Clinton. • This is one fact that I don’t really understand but the CIA had a plot to use a depilatory chemical on Castro so that his beard would fall out. I don’t think a clean shaven leader would be bad but Castro was best recognized for his bearded face. • He holds the record for delivering the longest speech at the United Nations on September 26, 1960, lasting 4 hours and 29 minutes. Absolutely amazing except if I were there listening I probably would have fallen asleep. • I am sure that there are other people with such a birthday too but it is interesting to note that Fidel Castro was born on Friday the 13th. • Another interesting fact is that when he was 12 years old he wrote to President F. Roosevelt and asked him to send him a ten dollar bill because he had never seen one. • They dubbed the CIA operation to invade Cuba and take down Castro as “Operation Castration”. • Fidel Castro said that he saved ten working days a year just by not shaving. • The CIA released documents in 2007 that revealed that the agency had collaborated with the Italian mafia in a failed attempt to assassinate Fidel Castro in 1960. • In Cuba there is only one kosher butcher who was allowed to stay and serve 1,500 people who practiced Judaism. • Three of Castro’s sons were named after Alexander the Great – Alexis, Alejandro and Alexander. • When Fidel Castro took over power in Cuba he ordered all Monopoly games to be destroyed. • He co-authored a book with Nelson Mandela titled “How Far We Slaves Have Come!” • Because Fidel Castro chose not to create a cult of personality there are no streets, buildings, institutions or localities named after him.
Did you know that... Fidel Castro led Cuba for five decades and was the world's third longest-serving head of state, after Britain's Queen Elizabeth and the King of Thailand?
You come up with the most interesting stuff, Rasma. Thanks for this. I found it really interesting. I wouldn't have thought Mandela would have collaborated with him.
• Eugene, Oregon
Castro opposed Apartheid in South Africa and Mandela was inspired by Castro's successful revolution. Faced with forming a rebel army in South Africa, Mandela read of Castro's methods.
@JamesHxstatic Yes, I can now see that they would have had some common goals.
@Mike197602 (13399)
• Worcester, England
Not many on here have been to cuba. I lived there for a short while and can honestly say the people I met admired him.
@franxav (3470)
The last fact about him I liked most.
Thanks for your informative discussion. I didn't know much about him.
• Eugene, Oregon
He leaves a mixed legacy for sure, with great strides in education and medical care and still a ruthless dictatorship.
• Riga, Latvia
I'm sure they're building the monument as we speak @JamesHxstatic
• Eugene, Oregon
@RasmaSandra No doubt.
The Monopoly games were all destroyed, this I didn't know. Thanks.
• Riga, Latvia
I suppose the Monopoly games might have given people ideas about making money and that was what Castro didn't want @marlina he wanted all the power
@RasmaSandra And he got all the power all right!