Autistic boy, 9, disqualified from Special Olympics swimming final 'for going TOO fast'

United Kingdom
i had to really google swimming and really need to make sure that i understood the basic rules in joining a swimming competition. obviously it is a sport. a RELAY that involves butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle, and individual medley in the water. Relay-- does it also involves SPEED?! how unfortunate for an Autistic boy that these officials just decided that he is disqualified for being TOO FAST!?! these adults is making the 9 year old feel that it is WRONG to be FAST- TOO FAST. his Mum said that her son is very Competitive. He Loves swimming. (maybe) one of the very few things that he loves to do and which i believe that he does really well with is the only thing that cause him disappointment and upsets him. i feel really sad for him. Link: https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/33349795/boy-with-autism-disqualified-from-competition-for-swimming-too-fast/
Rory Logan may miss out on a place in the All Ireland Special Olympics because of the bizarre ruling, his mum Briony said
@Therrealmaryyy I think this is pathetic of the specialOlympics I was very sad for him too!He did win fair and square and deserves a public apology!
the officials needs to check their ground rules. he didn't even do anything. he didn't violate anything.
@therealmaryyy He broke a rule, a silly rule I may say. More or less the article says: You can't cheat by swimming at a slower pace during the heating sessions in order to be placed in a lower division during the qualifications. The officials think this was one of those cases. Then the article continues. Rory swam 15.8% faster than his heat but someone please explain to me how a nine-year-old child would think of doing that or being that calculating. And I do agree with it.
@sabtraversa yes it was stated in the article and the officials told his mum about that rule that they called.. i mean- still i feel that there is something is not right.. :(
That is really sad. He gets punished for exceeding at something he is passionate about. That just isn't fair.
it is very unfair to just disqualify him for an unacceptable reason.
@therealmaryyy Oh I agree! They should be encouraging him and not punishing him
@Orson_Kart (4032)
It seems very oxymoronish to be the fastest/fittest disabled athlete. Unlike able-bodied athletes, they have to be categorised, and that must be difficult.
I was going to write that too, not all disabilities are the same so one gets an advantage over another. It is more about individuality than competing.
They really did take an opportunity away from this child! Not right at all.
he will never forget this :( not right at all :(
@akalinus (12447)
Excuse the language, but it sounds like a load of crap.
i totally agree
This is absolutely crazy. What are these people thinking?
the officials were not thinking of the negative impact that they caused for this young boy
• Rochester, New York
How sad! My sister does Special Olympics. She participates in the bowling and golf events.
ohh nice! i miss playing bowling but never played gold. how is your sister?