I met an old friend of mine on holiday!

@garymarsh6 (14556)
United Kingdom
One of the places we visited on out cruise was Gibraltar. It is a lovely place and I am very fond of it. It is like a small town in the UK about 40 years ago but with the added bonus of a bit of sun thrown in. Gibraltar commonly referred to as the rock is near Spain and opposite Morroco. On the upper reaches of the Rock is a nature reserve which is home to a couple of packs of Barbary macaques. They originated from North Africa.They have been there long before the British settled on the Rock in 1704. It is against the law to feed or pet the apes. They are quite naughty and will grap people hats, sunglasses or ruck sacks as I witnessed at the top. A man put his rucksack on the floor while he took a photo and in a flash of light one of the apes had the bag and opened it looking for food and something to eat. Luckily for the man one of the people who worked in the cafe came out with a long stick and got the bag back for him! Strategically it is a very useful place for monitoring the shipping going in and out of the Mediterranean sea. Deep inside the rock are war tunnels dug out during the war. Here the armed forces operated during the war. Planning and monitoring shipping movements. Deep inside the Rock are some caves where they hold concerts. There are stalactites and stalagmites that are lit up with colourful lights giving a beautiful appearance. The town is quite quaint and it is a duty-free port so many things are cheaper there than on Mainland Europe. We had around 7 hours to wander around the town. We went to the top of the rock in a cable car much faster than walking up I can tell you. We had a fantastic time there as usual.
What a shame you are already back, the next Friday (December 2) Barry is going to Gibraltar.
@Asylum (48223)
• Manchester, England
I deliberately waited until Gary had left before deciding to visit there myself.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
He is trying to muscle in on my friend Anna! He knows the coast is clear!
@garymarsh6 (14556)
@Asylum She won't succumb to your northern charms Barry
@Asylum (48223)
• Manchester, England
I noticed on Facebook that you had been chatting up that female ape again. Sadly she did not appear to be very interested.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
Playing hard to get in my opinion! That's the third time I have chatted her up!
@Asylum (48223)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 She will no doubt regret it if you do not return.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
@Asylum It is a must but as you are nearer no sneaking over there and trying your old charm on her!
It does sound like a pleasant place to visit.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
It is very nice there I think you would like it too!
@garymarsh6 ......Probably. Wish I could travel.
@Lucky15 (33687)
hmm,i haven't get the chance to see one..yet. and i am glad you had a nice "reunion"lol
@garymarsh6 (14556)
She was playing hard to get. Showed me complete disinterest.
@Lucky15 (33687)
@garymarsh6 hahahah
Sounds like an interesting place to visit. I've learned not to stare at gorillas the hard way.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
On your next cruise through Europe I would highly recommend it DianneN. It has a very unusual airport. The runway goes over the road so when a plane is landing or taking off they put barriers up to stop the traffic from driving over the runway! You would think it quite quaint.
@garymarsh6 I would love to visit there. The highway in Fort Lauderdale, Florida is so close to the runway, that the planes skim the top of the cars as they land. Always a thrill!
The Barbary macaque in the picture is so leisurely and carefree,who is watching the world go by .
@garymarsh6 (14556)
They pretend they are all relaxed but really they are eyeing up the tourists to see who is careless enough to leave their bags open so they can pinch food!
@garymarsh6 Oh,they try to appear nonchalant,in fact they are looking for the targets.
@PainsOnSlate (20662)
That is a wonderful photo. It sounds like a beautiful place to visit. Thanks for the tour.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
I am very fond of the place.
• Midland, Michigan
So, did your friend happen to be on the same cruise that you took and that's how you met up, or did you run into them on land instead? THat's a lot of info about that area. I believe that's near where Barry went although I know he wasn't on that cruise. sounds like you had a fun time.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
It is a quaint piece of 'Olde England' that seems around 30-40 years behind the UK. It is a little like a time warp. Yes Barry visited Gibraltar trying to muscle in on my girl friend! She turned down his charms. The old boy just can not cut it!
@LoriAMoore (4686)
Sounds lovely. I'm going to Morocco in April.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
Not too far away then. You might be able to go there on a day trip!
Sounds like a very beautiful and interesting place. Great picture.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
Thank you. Yes it is very interesting to visit.
@topffer (36380)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
I went twice to Gibraltar to see the monkeys. The first time when I was a kid, and then when I went to the Universal Exposition in Seville in 1992. In my memories Gibraltar is a strange place : there is a border, which is something that had already disappeared in continental Europe in 1992. People were speaking a bizarre Spanish (was it really Spanish ?), and, yes, the town was looking like an old English town. I would like to go there again.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
It is quite quaint a bit of ' olde England' but with sun!
I remember reading Paul Gallico's Scruffy about a soldier stationed there and a particular monkey. I've forgotten the rest so need to reread it. They give concerts in some of the caves here too but I've never been lucky enough to get to one.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
I think you will find the acoustics are quite interesting!
You had seven hours.Plenty to do there to kill time
@garymarsh6 (14556)
Yes plenty of time to explore and see the sights. It is about a mile from where the ship moors and quite a pleasant walk into the town.
@PatZAnthony (13117)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is good that is against the law-imagine how it would be there is these creatures became too friendly.
@garymarsh6 (14556)
Absolutely. Sometimes humans are too stupid of their own good!
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
It sounds like such a lovely and interesting place to visit, especially the caves and knowing the military history behind the rock.
It sounds like a fascinating place
@Inlemay (17141)
• South Africa
I could be the gatekeeper at the top of the ROCK and count the ships in and out the MED - imagine how far one could see on a clear day - this I shall see one day . . . . and what are the odds that you meet a friend there?
I thought with the title , you really have met someone you are a friend with . That's scary , because the ape can ruin the bag and not give it back anymore .
@Fleura (7360)
Funnily enough I recently came across a letter written home by my Uncle when he was posted to Gibraltar during the war. He complains it's just a boring bare rock!
It sounds wonderful. I would not enjoy those thieving macaques coming near me. Seeing them through the window of the cafe would be close enough!