Jingle Bells, Jingle–Wait A Minute!

Otis Orchards, Washington
Are you getting ready for Christmas? Do you have all your presents bought? Thinking about getting a Christmas tree? Got your Christmas lights up? Playing Christmas music? Yeah, I know. For some it’s a real pain to think about. For others it's a joy. But that wasn’t what I was thinking about when I conceived this post. Actually I was looking in a book titled, A Book of Days in American History, and found a couple interesting facts about Christmas Day. In 1651 the Massachusetts General Court ordered a five shilling fine for anyone caught observing Christmas. In 1831 Louisiana and Arkansas were the first states to observe Christmas as a holiday. If you hate Christmas you can blame it on Louisiana and Arkansas for being the first to observe it as a holiday. But you can only wish the 1651 Massachusetts General Court was still around to hand out fines. If you love Christmas then you can be glad the 1651 Massachusetts General Court is not still in session and you can thank Louisiana and Arkansas. Here some Christmas music:
Richard Carpenter composed the music for this song in 1966 when he was 19 years old. Frank Pooler wrote the lyrics twenty years earlier, in 1946, when he als...
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm a bit of a Grinch, as Christmas has become more commercial and less spiritual. Aren't we celebrating the birth of someone didn't advocate worshipping material objects?
@FayeHazel (15021)
I knew it @TheHorse -- you big grinch you. lol I jest... I agree, it is sort of sad that it has become so commercial
Very interesting fact. I love Christmas. The song is one of my favorites.
I do love Christmas! Thanks for sharing these facts with us. =)
• Otis Orchards, Washington
You're welcome. Thanks for reading.
I read the "history" of this song on the video link - pretty interesting - especially when the music and lyrics were written in their late teens (though in different generations). Was that just Massachusetts? Was the way Christmas celebrated not pure enough for the Puritans? I'd have to wonder if some people secretly celebrated anyway and got away with it. Oh - and I wonder if Christmas music was banned too?
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Yes, when Pooler showed Richard the song Richard liked the words but did not like the music. So he wrote new music for it. Nearly every song Richard wrote he wrote the music and someone else (usually Bettis) wrote the words. There was only a few songs that Richard wrote both the music and the words. The book did not say any more than what I've written here. It did not tell why it was banned. I'm sure some did celebrate it secretly. Were there any Christmas songs at that time?
@RichardMeister Ah, so I guess Richard wasn't into writing lyrics. Did Karen actually write any of their music or lyrics? I have no idea if there were Christmas songs back then - I assume there were at least hymns or the like. It suppose the people upstairs were sort of "party poopers" . . . perhaps celebrating was showing too much fun - perhaps it was disrespectful in their eyes - somehow "Paganism" comes to mind. By the way, I think the Carpenters are following me. The other day when I flipped the radio station to the one that plays Christmas music all day, the song playing was Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Then in the store it was that "chest nuts roasting on an open fire . . . " song.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say No, Karen never wrote any music or lyrics. She said all she did was sing the songs. Matter of fact the only song that I know of that she picked to sing was, Sweet, Sweet, Smile. Richard picked all the other songs. By the way, I heard Richard say both him and Karen hated Solitaire. He said the only reason he had Karen sing it was it showed off you singing ability. That's some good thoughts about early Christmas songs. But I'm really not sure. The Christmas album the Carpenters did was very popular back in the day and I'v been hearing they are becoming popular again.
@KristenH (22747)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks for sharing this interesting piece of holiday history. I haven't put up my faux X-mas tree yet. I'll do it soon after I do some cleaning and find a place to put it.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
You're welcome. Now get busy and put up your tree. (Only kidding.)
@KristenH (22747)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@RichardMeister I will this weekend.
@FayeHazel (15021)
I've decorated but it still feels too early for Christmas movies and songs. The trivia was good to know, thanks!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I agree, it does seem too early for Christmas movies and songs. But doesn't it always? You're welcome for the trivia and thanks for reading.
I wonder why there was a fine for celebrating Christmas.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
The book didn't tell.
@sallypup (25802)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You do find the interesting articles.