Falling off of a ladder doesn't hurt at all!

By JJ
Nope. Not one single bit. I was kind of worried earlier when I was painting and I overbalanced and fell off of a stepladder with an open bucket of paint and a brush in my hands, but the fall didn't hurt at all. It was when I hit the floor on my back that it started hurting. But at least I didn't drop the paint. Until I hit the floor. But luck was with me...the bucket landed right side up, and the paintbrush stayed in the bucket as well. Good deal, because we would have had to replace the carpeting in the hallway otherwise. But I landed wrong (I don't think there is really a 'right' way to land on your back from about 4 feet up) and I ended up taking the rest of the day off...I told the guys I was fine, but after about 2 steps after getting up I realized I did something to my back, so at lunchtime I decided to go home and eat aspirin for the rest of the day. Oh well...at least I didn't ruin the carpet.
Of course that's the most important thing - that you didn't ruin the carpet! Lol - you're right - it isn't the falling that hurts, it's the landing. Seriously, I hope you are ok.
I was trying to twist as I fell to keep the paint upright...when it popped out of my hand I was almost afraid to look. I'll be good by tomorrow, 5 years ago I probably would have just laughed.
Oh man, Scar never taught you how to land on all fours? Hope your back is ok!
One of the guys started laughing...someone asked if I was okay and I just laid there and said 'That sucks'.
@JolietJake Aw man - well at least you saved the carpet - and your front side . I was thinking if you had one of those sumo suits on, you may have been saved .
Wow!! I am sure you will feel that for quite some time. I can picture it all now as it was all happening. The paint could have spilled all over you and the bucket could have bopped you in the head. Good safe though!! Hope your back feels better soon!
It doesn't feel like anything serious, but it's hurting enough that I would probably end up falling off of the ladder a second time, so I'm done for the day.
@JolietJake good idea..best to rest up and take care of that back
Oh wow!! So glad that you are okay!! You are right though the actual fall does not hurt it is the landing that hurts the most but I must say you are pretty darn good because I know for a fact that if that was me...I would be replacing the carpet
I wasn't even thinking how much it might hurt as I was falling, all I could think was "Boss is gonna kill me if this spills".
@JolietJake My husband actually works for a construction company and I can not tell you the amount of times something has gone wrong or broken on the job so I completely understand what you mean when you say your boss would kill you!! So glad that your boss can be happy you saved the floor...and just hope that tomorrow you are still doing okay with your back because I do know how bad landing on your back can be...
@nomus24g (16053)
Oopppsss
My balance hasn't been right for over a year, ladders and I don't get along real good.
@nomus24g (16053)
@JolietJake Scar shouldn't be proud of you after this act
• Riga, Latvia
Well I sure hope you're OK. Gotta be careful with those backs. Today my hubby has a painful back and he didn't fall and my sciatica is stabbing me so be careful. Hope you'll be alright.
I should be good, just couldn't do much more today
I hope that it is just an annoying memory by tomorrow.
It should be...I ate a handful of Ibuprofen earlier, knocked it back a bit.
@crossbones27 (14883)
• Redlands, California
Did someone spike your coffee again? It was not me, glad you be OK.
I haven't been real good on ladders for a bit, balance never returned all the way after my stroke last year
@LoriAMoore (9687)
My former husband (now deceased) tore his rotator cuff as a result of a fall off of a ladder. I told him that he wasn't that far up the ladder, maybe only 3 feet, but he said, quite logically, "Yeah, but I'm 6'4" so my shoulder fell 9 feet). Ouch!
I was painting the bathroom ceiling and fell through the doorway into the hall...if I'd been over another foot or so I would have fallen back against the wall instead of off the danged thing.
You are such a big boy and you still do not know how to fall. There are books written on the art of falling
You mean like The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy trilogy?
@JolietJake I am not into science fiction. As a matter of fact I did a search to understand what you are saying. As far as astronomy goes I only know that song 'Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket and never let it fade away
Catch a falling star an' put it in your pocket, Never let it fade away! Catch a falling star an' put it in your pocket, Save it for a rainy day! For love may...
@allknowing In the Guide, Arthur Dent learned that if he fell, and he was distracted by something just before he hit, he wouldn't hit...instead he would begin to fly.
I'm sorry you fell and hurt your back. I hope you feel better soon. Be careful, we like you alive and not hurt.
I should be okay for work tomorrow, just wouldn't have been a good idea to do anything else today
@JolietJake I'm glad you didn't stick around then. You don't want to hurt yourself further.
@LovingMyBabies That depends...you can always hurt me if you want
@silvermist (15807)
@JoiletJake,Are you saying in spite of the fall you are feeling as good as new,the next day?Amazing.
Actually, I was hoping I would, but I guess I landed on one shoulder a bit hard, I had to end up taking today off.
@silvermist (15807)
@JolietJake Yes I thought so.Nobody has a fall like that and no get hurt. Hope you are feeling better . The silver lining is not having to replace the carpeting.
@louievill (16230)
Better be careful next time, at our age the healing process seem to slow down a little bit. Hope nothing more aches after you wake up, some pains appear a little bit late like a sore muscle or twisted ligament or something.
Yeh, that's why I didn't lay down, figured if I stay up and keep moving a bit it won't be so bad tomorrow.
@louievill (16230)
@JolietJake you did the right thing to keep it movin otherwise it might stiffen up and if I may suggest apply something to heat it up like a pad or liniment, good luck buddy.
I hope you're not all bruised. It sounds "bruise worthy".
I'm not as sore and stiff this morning as I thought I might be, could've been much worse
• Portland, Connecticut
Well that is looking at the positive side of a really bad situation. I hope your back isn't hurt too badly. Did you go home and put cold on it right away, and then later put heat? A soaky bath may help, good luck.
• Carriere, Mississippi
Just remember dear its not the fall that hurts you. It the landing! Sorry you got hurt. Proceed with caution. Take care of your back. And im glad you saved the carpet
I am so sorry, how is your back today? If it continues to hurt go to see a doctor. When something like this happened to me, I did not go to see the doctor and my back still hurts time by time, after several years from the event.
@Julie555 (2597)
Smooth landingTake care and don`t rush
Be thankful for big mercies. But I'm sorry about your back. During some 'young men' pranks, Vince was hoisted off the floor in a bag. Unfortunately the bag came off the hook and he dropped on his back. His back has given bigger or smaller amounts of trouble ever since.
• Denmark
Maybe you should see a physiotherapist.