Making Life More Complicated

Winston Salem, North Carolina
I am surrounded by technology that is supposed to make my life easier to manage. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way. Usually text messages come through in a timely manner regardless of whether they were sent directly from phone to phone or via a messaging service. Annoyingly there have been times when the message gremlins have decided to play games with me. A few weeks ago @Morleyhunt was due to arrive at my house on a Thursday evening. At 4:33 PM that Thursday I received a message stating that she had her coffee in hand and was on her way. I figured I must have misunderstood the original plan and that Friday was the day she would arrive. She and her husband were at my door sometime after 7 that Thursday evening. It turns out she had sent the message at 4:30 AM and for some unknown reason my smart phone decided to not deliver it until 4:30 PM. This morning I was tackling a mountain of schoolwork with my youngest daughter when my smart phone announced that I had a message. It was from my older daughter and stated “Can you come get me, please.” I wasn’t expecting her to finish work for another hour, but every now and again when McDonald’s is overstaffed they send her home early so I texted that I was on my way and hopped into my car. I pulled into the parking lot expecting my daughter to pop out immediately. She didn’t. A few minutes later she came out “Mom, I TOLD you I work until TEN this morning.” She had sent the text at 11:00 AM yesterday...I received it at 8:50 this morning. I don’t have a smart phone; I have an idiot phone!
That phone is sn*ggering up its sleeve!! Sorry - bad word error!
That phone has betrayed my trust...I'm going to be second guessing the timing of all my messages now! The bad word filter gets me in trouble sometimes too, and NOT because I'm actually using a bad word .
@Platespinner I didn't use a bad word here either until I dissected it. It is really on the ball. It is like a elderly, maidenly aunt who tut tutts at anything slightly 'off'.
Oh my! We have had that happen. Also had mike miss reading a certain message. And he was wondering why I was upset that he was dawdling on his way home from doing inventory that Sunday. It was the day grandma passed away and he somehow missed reading the 'she's gone text.
We've become so dependent on instant communication that when it's not instant things can quickly go awry!
• Eugene, Oregon
Mine switched from phone to text in the middle of a conversation today. Seems like a plot to drive us all mad.
If there is such a plot it seems to be working! I felt really stupid this morning .
• Eugene, Oregon
@Platespinner I resemble that feeling.
food heavens it needs to be ducated that silly smart phone
I think I'm going to start calling it a stupid phone .
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I have had a fair number of delayed messages myself, but none that have caused me any inconvenience.
I can understand the short delays that are pretty common, but the 12-24 hour delays don't make any sense to me at all.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@Platespinner That is a fair point and it would become confusing with delays of that magnitude.
That happens with my phone too. I don't have a smartphone either. But I might get one in the next month or so.
I've had a smartphone for a couple of years now, but didn't text much with my old flip phone. Now it seems that most of my phone communication is in the form of texts.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
In future if I send you a message I will add a time and date. That way it won't matter what the time stamp says....you'll know when I sent it.
I'm thinking of making my beloved offspring do the same thing...either that or I'll start calling after each text to verify whether or not I really need to go pick someone up.
@UncleJoe (9947)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
My phone knows it's smarter than I am so it likes to mess with me.
oh dear :( i don't text myself, but used to get 'em from folks back when i'd my ol' nokia flip phone (i miss 't horribly!). the interestin' thingy bein' that someone could've sent me a text 3 weeks prior but such'd not get 'delivered' to me 'til they actually called. yepperz, the moment i'd hang'p, 't'd show! with no date/time. sometimes t'was most confusin' 'n i'd wonder why they'd not jest told me whilst we were talkin'. i did send the state police out once due to one'f those...that t'was purty embarrassin' 'n i really disliked wastin' their time.
Yikes! How awful to receive messages so late. That has never happened to me - yet!
@mom210 (6761)
• Atlanta, Georgia
So your phone has a sense of humor huh? It is messing with your mind and sitting back and laughing.
I suspect that when there are a lot of messages, many are delayed. It happened to us too.