Another Quilt Top is Completed

@Morleyhunt (17255)
November 1st I began embroidering squares ( all attached in a large piece of fabric) for a child's crib quilt.....okay, maybe a toddler bed. All week long I have been cutting and piecing, then assembling the squares. Last night I started to add the pieced borders. This morning I was detemined to finish so I could tackle some other work that needs doing. Tonight I have a couple of grandchildren coming for a visit. Sewing supplies need to be put away.
Very lovely work! I like the design very much especially the little toy animals.
@Morleyhunt (17255)
The toys were fun to embroider. I've been quilting for 37 years......the first quilt I ever made was embroidered. This is only the second one with embroidery.
@Morleyhunt wow! 37 years is a long time! You must be real good at it!
@Morleyhunt (17255)
@allen0187 there are many who are far better than I am.
This one is lovely, very nice the inserts with the cute little animals.
@Morleyhunt (17255)
I'm quite pleased with it. An error ( reading the instruction probably would have helped) meant an artistic design change....
@Morleyhunt It is very nice.
@IreneVincent (15868)
I've always wanted to make a quilt. I have some quilt tops that my grandmother made. They are very old. I have thought about taking a quilting class just so I can complete one quilt. My mother-in-law made a quilt for each of my children. She made many quilts. I LOVE your quilt. Very nice!
@Morleyhunt I really think that I would. Thanks for the encouragement.
@Platespinner (19117)
Ooooh, very pretty!
@Morleyhunt (17255)
You watched me embroider. Now you can see what it was intended for.
Another adorable quilt you have created. This one is a big favorite for me!!!
@Morleyhunt (17255)
Thank you. One of these days I really need to sit down and start quilting some of these tops.
@valmnz (13123)
• New Zealand
That is a pretty quilt. I admire people who have the patience to do quilting!
@Morleyhunt (17255)
Thank you. I enjoy relaxing while working on a quilt.
@valmnz (13123)
• New Zealand
@Morleyhunt I'm all fingers and thumbs when it comes to something like that!
@Morleyhunt (17255)
@valmnz my grade nine hone economics teacher would probably have predicted that I would never sew another stitch after completing my sewing project. She would be amazed at what I have accomplished since that time.
That is very pretty, you've got talent ...... do you sing too? ok, just kidding.
@Morleyhunt (17255)
When I don't have a cold.....this running nose...sneezing....coughing has to stop.
Oh no, dadgum fall cold got ya down, what a bummer @Morleyhunt hope you'll get well before Christmas
@Morleyhunt (17255)
@rebelann this one has been playing peekaboo since the last week in October. Enough already.
that's beautiful work! whome'er receives such's gonna be plum tickled 'n hopefully such'll 'come a keepsake. yepperz, if'n ya don't put the sewin' schtuff 'way, thingies tend to come'p missin'. 't least that's how't used to go 'round here.
@Morleyhunt (17255)
If they don't go missing....those scissors could be used on hair, curtains or (gasp) paper. Thread can be wound around anything, including the dog....and the couch will eat anything.
@Morleyhunt i'd the need to giggle coz yer most correct! i recall when the granddaughter decided she needed a haircut...'n her baby brother, too! thankfully such didn't occur'n my watch, lol. 've 'd many pups/cats wrapped'n spools 'f thread 'round here - most unpleasant to get 'em free. oh that couch...i wonder if'n that's where my stapler disappeared to? hmm, now i need to go'n check!
@Morleyhunt (17255)
@crazyhorseladycx oh, you made me laugh. The visit went well. They didn't find my scissors, needles or thread. Now once I've vacuumed up all the spilled popcorn, the house will be back to normal.
@epiffanie (8326)
oh that is awesome quilt!! ... perfect for a baby boy
@Morleyhunt (17255)
I've had the pattern with hopes of making it for many years. Now I need to sandwich and quilt it.
@epiffanie (8326)
@Morleyhunt it's a lovely pattern .. looks very fiddly .. how long did it take you to make that quilt? ..
@Morleyhunt (17255)
@epiffanie the embroidery I did over the course of a month (visiting my sister) and working on it for a few minutes at a time. The piecing I started on Tuesday and finished Friday morning. A couple if hours each day. The quilting will take longer....I hand quilt.
Your quilt is exquisite! Enjoy your grandchildren!!!!!
@Morleyhunt (17255)
Just two for a sleepover. The three year old and the almost five year old.
@Morleyhunt Great ages! Don't you just love to have them to yourself?
@Morleyhunt (17255)
@DianneN they are such cuties.
@PainsOnSlate (19652)
Its lovely. you are making me wish I still sewed but not, I paint instead. But I can't sleep with my paintings. I have to buy my quilts.
@Morleyhunt (17255)
My painting skills, other than walls is none existent. We must learn to be content with out talents.
@Morleyhunt you are right!
@dodo19 (28439)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I love the quilt. It's really well done. It's something that I'd like to learn to do. I have a book that I've started to read for beginners. Something that I'd love to do.
@Morleyhunt (17255)
I decided once (many, many years ago) that I wanted to make a quilt. My first baby quilt was made that summer, with minimal instruction.
@dodo19 (28439)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Morleyhunt That's a nice quilt as well. I'm glad that you were able to do it. Hopefully, I can make one as well with little instructions.
I love blue and white together. It always looks so fresh. Who is the lucky recipient for this one?
@Morleyhunt (17255)
I don't know yet. First it must be quilted...then entered in the fair....then we'll see who has a baby boy.
@Morleyhunt What a shame I'm too old!! lol
You are such a talented lady, this is beautiful. I'm sure that your family loves these pieces which I'm sure that you share with them. Enjoy your time with the grandkids!
@Morleyhunt (17255)
My immediate family (children and grandchildren) treasure them....some of the others (nieces and nephew and spouses) also appreciate them. Then some, I never even receive a thank you for. The one I made for my nephew and his wife with the square my mother had embroidered....zip....nada. In some ways that one hurts the most. It would have been so easy to keep that one (my mother never made one for me) but I thought it might mean a lot to them as they got married just a week before my mother passed away. It's safe to say, their children probably won't be getting one.
@Morleyhunt Oh just to read that, I know that your Mom is gone now, and before you even mentioned that they married a week before she passed, that hurt me. I have to think that those that have no appreciation for these types of things also have no idea of the love, patience and work put into them.
@Telynor (1124)
That is adorable! I know that I can piece together blocks, but the idea of adding backing and batten scares the willies out of me. Is it very difficult?
@Morleyhunt (17255)
The first quilt I made (37 years ago) scared me as well. Once I discovered mistakes are allowed I was fine. . Go ahead....give it a try. One suggestion....start with a smaller project.....a king size quilt is still intimidating to me.
@Telynor (1124)
@Morleyhunt I've decided that next year it's either going to be a quilt (yes, I will start small!) or learn how to do a granny square -- Ican't for the life of me figure out the instructions, so I need to find someone to teach me how to do it. In any case, I want to have something to curl up in on the couch.
@sishy7 (27749)
Aww... too cute! I love the color too... perfect for my boys...
@Morleyhunt (17255)
Blue is my favourite colour. The quilting book showed this quilt in red and white....I said, nah....I'm making it in blue and white. I'm very pleased with the result.
@sishy7 (27749)
@Morleyhunt great choice!
@SophieY (865)
• South Africa
I love blues, so this quilt is one I would pick out for any of my children one day
@Morleyhunt (17255)
Blue is my favourite colour. My wardrobe consists mostly of blues and blacks...the odd magenta or teal thrown in to provide a change.
This is so beautiful! You did an amazing job on it. What will you do with it?
@Morleyhunt (17255)
When it is quilted, I hope to enter it in our local fair. Then it will likely become a gift for someone who is blessed with a baby boy.