Why Police Shoot "Center Of Mass" As Opposed To At Appendages

In an earlier post I wrote about the recent events of the Ohio State University, The Tacoma, Washington officer shooting and Kieth Lamont Scott decision by prosecutors not to charge an officer. Why am I now talking about the "Center Of Mass" topic? Because it is hard for some to understand why you would not shoot at a leg or arm. I was trained in firearms for the purpose of a job in Michigan's Department Of Corrections and as a result learned the why of it. Let me describe 2 situations and share a video with you to explain. Then you be the judge. Situation 1: While in a public place I am placed in danger by an assailant. I decide it requires me to use my weapon and shoot at the assailant's arm. I miss and a child 300 yards away is killed. The assailant shoots me and escapes. Am I responsible for killing the child? Yes because I shot the child. The assailant now can harm others and is a danger to the community. I may have died but if I didn't I could face years in Prison for my actions. Situation 2: I am attacked by an assailant and shoot the person. They die and people are accusing me of being a murderer. am I responsible? Yes but I acted in self defense and will not likely be charged. The individual was stopped which protects the safety of others and I am still alive. Your turn. What do you think?
http://www.detroitccw.com - In this video clip, Chief Firearms Instructor Rick Ector teaches on the subject of shooting at a target's center-of-mass. While i...
@nanette64 (18208)
• Fairfield, Texas
My choice? #2 @Berniezeitler . The possibility of #1 is likely unless you are an expert marksman and that still may not apply in that type of situation.
@nanette64 In a stressful situation others are in danger if you miss. I agree With your assessment of going for #2
@topffer (36680)
• Bandar Lampung, Indonesia
It looks a bit theoretical. A handgun is not a very accurate weapon, at least if you put it in my hands. I think that I would target the center of mass to have a chance to shoot an arm. I have been to a shooting club when I was a teen. It is very easy to do a good score on a fixed paper target. It is more difficult when you have to shoot on a moving target. And it would be certainly something else if the target was human and moving. I think that the gunner has to be a specialist to take the risk to shoot at an arm or a leg...
It is in deed difficult being a law enforcement officer.
@Kandae11 What bothers me most is that so many are ready to accuse the officer without all the facts that officers are opting not to shoot at all in situations where they are in danger.
You have courage and the training, which is a good combination especially in the line of work you were in . . .
OI understandc the reasoning in those cases and its pure logiv it is right