Finished the Christmas book tree and an easy day of cyber school

This morning my daughter forgot her lunch so while my son started his online History class I ran her lunch up to the school. In History the students were taught about Food Production in PA and the reason PA is called the Snack Food Capital of the world. They learned of many popular brands that originated in PA : Musselman's, Utz, Gertrude Hawk, Hershey's, TastyKake, Heinz Ketchup, and A Treat Soda. I have been to the Gertrude Hawk factory and Hershey's factory. There was a 40 minute break until Math where the students took a test and then had 20 minute break until ELA. In ELA they went over comparing and contrasting. The students got put in seperate online rooms where they worked with a partner creating venn diagrams about each others hobbies and lives. It was fun for the kids. There was a 45 minute break for lunch followed by Math Progress PLT. Some students were doing testing while others like my son got an arcade day where they played online math games for an hour. The only homework was three short assignments : spelling, vocab and writing skills. The school day was entirely finished by 3:30. During the many breaks today I worked on the Christmas book tree. It was a lot of work and is leaning a bit as you can see in the photo.. but it is done. It is 3 feet wide at the bottom and only 3 1/2 feet tall.
The Christmas book tree is beautiful =) I don't have that many books to make a tree.
I have enough I could have made it twice as tall but I think then it would have tipped over for sure. My kids have enough books I could make them one as well.
@shaggin Wow thats amazing :) Like an at home library :)
@infatuatedbby Yes except I do not keep them. When I am finished I donate them.
@hereandthere (25131)
ah, so a christmas book tree is a christmas tree made of books. it's colorful. i guess you can also insert small christmas balls in the spaces. hershey's and heinz are the only brands familiar to me, but i'm sure it provided livelihood to a lot of people there. i'm glad your daughter's school is nearby. food from home saves money and you're sure it's healthier and safe like if she has food restrictions.
My daughter can get free lunches at school but she is very picky so she won't eat what thet serve. It would save me money if she are there but instead I pack her a lunch so she won't go hungry. I tried putting decorations every few levels but they fell back out even when I used duct tape.
@shaggin maybe you sandwich the string/loop of the christmas balls in between books?
@hereandthere I did that and taped them with masking tape but the thread is so fine they still fell down. Maybe next time if I close the string inside the book and shut it that will work. I will try that if I ever make one in the future.
@ms1864 (6947)
• Bangalore, India
wow! you have a lot of books!
I have too many but I can't ever say no to free books!
I quite like your book Christmas tree but I don't think I'll bother making my own. I don't fancy putting all those books away again.
I always organize my books by genre and then author and then by the series number. I have completely undone all the organization of my books! I dread putting them away too lol. I may just try to read a lot more and take it down and donate the books one by one as I read them. I fear it will be there years and years if I do that though.
TYour book ] christmas tree looks good
Thank you. I wish it wasn't leaning though.
The tree turned out great. Cyber school does sound interesting. When I first quit teaching full time and started subbing, I thought I would enjoy teaching cyber school. But I have come to enjoy subbing quite well, and now I wouldn't want to be full time anymore.
The teachers who my son had are very nice. It appears that like us they are actually teaching from their homes.
@shaggin Teaching from home is what I thought would be enjoyable at one time, but now I think it might be difficult. You are there to help your son keep focused, I wonder if other students have that kind of support.
@paigea He has a tendency to talk a lot and then we miss what the teacher is saying. I think this is a good way of teaching him to listen better. At first he would get mad when I would tell him to be quiet. Now he is accepting when the teacher talks and I hush him.
Looks great. It was a lot of work but the end result is awesome!!!
It was a lot of work and is leaning but it was okay for my first attempt. Thank you :-)
@Tina30219 (27287)
• Onaway, Michigan
@shaggin I agree for a first time it is good.
@Tina30219 aww thank you!
@Tina30219 (27287)
• Onaway, Michigan
Looks good.
Thank you very much!
@Tina30219 (27287)
• Onaway, Michigan
@shaggin Welcome
• Trinidad And Tobago
Wow..I love it. It really looks impressive. Maybe I'll take a leaf out of your book and start a trend here (^_^)
That would be really cool to see. If you do be sure to tag me!
• Trinidad And Tobago
@shaggin But not this Christmas. I am busy building so no time. But i do say it still looks impressive. I wonder how long it will take you to put them back?
@PainsOnSlate (19678)
I love your tree. My children are adults and I'm fascinated to hear about on line learning. Of course when mine were young there was no internet... Very strange to even think about that. All of my adult kids use the internet now and one is a University teacher and marks her students tests on line and much much more at the University level.
I do know people can take online college courses so I assume it must be similar to how my son does his cyber schooling at home. I love learning things along with him. A lot of the things I had no interest in learning when I was in scho but now in my 30s I am fascinated.
@shaggin you and your son are lucky to have each other. You will both learn more easily...being two of you.
Your book tree looks very nice, but I am not going to do all the work to put the books back in place later.
I had all my books organized by genre and then author and then by number in the series. I will have to reorganize hundreds of books when I put these al back. I do not look forward to it at all.
@shaggin My husband organized all the books in the library, I know he would never let me do this.
@stbrians (11835)
• Kakamega, Kenya
How are things now
Yesterday I took my kids shopping for groceries and we stopped at Chuck E Cheese's before we came home. As soon as we pulled in my boyfriend pulled in behind us so it was perfect timing. We watched a movie called Sisters and he spent the night and left about an hour ago. Now I need to get cleaning my house.
@CRK109 (14293)
The tree looks great! I think you did a great job!
That you very much!
@topffer (31218)
• France
Your alternative Christmas tree is as nice as original. The school day of your son was an interesting reading. How old is he ?
I have an artifical tree as well but thought making this would be fun. My son is 9.
@stbrians (11835)
• Kakamega, Kenya
And learning has to continue
Yep another day of cyber school today.