Very deceptive cloud over Gibraltar

@Asylum (48283)
Manchester, England
My trip to Gibraltar yesterday turned out quite well, despite my previous fears that it would rain most of the day. The temperature was fairly cold, but since it was dry I was perfectly happy strolling along Main Street and around the square. As the coach turned off the main coast road and headed towards the access road to Gibraltar, we had a view of the Rock encompassed by some horrific black cloud lurking above reminiscent of a scene from some Bela Lugosi horror movie of the 1930s. My initial thought was “Oh no, go away naughty cloud”, yet there was no evidence of the cloud while we were on the Rock itself. The photograph above was taken directly after we had passed through customs when leaving. The cloud did not seem as dark by then, but it was still clearly present.
There is certainly a big cloud. Glad it didn't spill itself all over you.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
It was even more ominous when we were arriving. While in Gibraltar it was not even noticeable, which seems very strange.
Was this a vampire or a ghost cloud out of the Bela Lugosi movie? Those clouds love to scare tourists. I am glad it did not rain.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
It appeared much darker during our approach, yet the weather was quite decent over there. Now it is raining again over in Fuengirola, so I can consider myself to have been very fortunate.
@Asylum It's raining here too and it is so grey and dark that I am very tempted to go to bed and read a book.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck It sounds as though you have moved to England.
@Morleyhunt (19539)
Some clouds are ominous looking, but when they draw near they don't seem as threatening, the skies have looked menacing the last weeks, but all we've had are some rain showers , non of the anticipated (dreaded) snow.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Dreaded is certainly the right word for snow.
@stbrians (11790)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Nice time at Gibraulter. Thanks there was no rain or clouds
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Exactly, so it was a great day out.
@moffittjc (41092)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've always wanted to visit Gibraltar! Is that the actual rock in your photo? Is it worth the trip to visit? What country controls Gibraltar these days?
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Yes, that is the rock itself and Gibraltar is well worth a visit. I would not visit for a week because it is quite small, but it is excellent for a day trip from Spain. It qualifies as a British Dependency, which really amounts to an independent country with strong ties to Britain.
@moffittjc (41092)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Asylum The reason I was curious was because you said you had to go through Customs. I had always thought it was part of Britain, so I thought maybe control of the rock was transferred to some other country since you mentioned Customs. But, if it is under self-rule, then I can understand the need for you to go through Customs! Were you on holiday in Spain, or did you take a trip just to see the rock?
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@moffittjc Exactly, it is only a 2 hour coach trip to the border from where I am. The last time that I was here I took a day trip to Tangier.
@Gillygirl (17270)
• Sutton, England
I was visiting some friends in Gibraltar a few years ago. My flight was cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. There was a humdinger of a storm and heavy rain. I couldn't get a flight back for two days but I was happy to stay and the weather improved.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Walking from the airport to Main Street is almost like mountaineering.
@Gillygirl (17270)
• Sutton, England
@Asylum That airport is a pain although it's improved now it has a separate arrival section for those going to Spain
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@Gillygirl I have not used the airport, but have passed through the runway a few times when crossing from Spain to and from Gibraltar.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
That is an amazing shot, glad it didn't rain on you
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
So am I because Gibraltar is not very well sheltered.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@Asylum No I can't imagine it is
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@fishtiger58 As long as Gibraltar is dry it is a nice place to visit. I really like the narrow streets, reminiscent of a time long passed.
nice shot ...... I see a few trees behind the building that look like they are growing on the rock is that possible?
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Oh yes, the Rock is only a portion of Gibraltar. It is the section where the apes live.
Apes @Asylum ? I didn't know there were apes in spain.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@rebelann They are on Gibraltar and have been there since before human settlers arrived. Somehow they managed to get there from North Africa.
So glad to hear your visit was unhampered by rain. The cloud does look ominous!
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
It was not what I wanted to see on my approach, but fortunately a false alarm.
@Asylum I know, I picture you with a little thundercloud that follows above you wherever you go!
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries It is very loyal and has followed me since birth.
A cloud looming like that is a sign that it will be raining soon .
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Exactly my thoughts, but the rain did not arrive.
@Asylum What about in the evening , it still didn't rain ?
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@SIMPLYD Not that I am aware of because I went back over the border to Spain about 5 hours later.
• Portland, Connecticut
That is an awesome picture and I am very glad that the weather did not spoil the visit.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Quite a few people have commented on what a good photograph it is, whereas it was simply a convenient place to take the shot from.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum Sometimes the best shots just happen that way. It is a good shot none the less.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr I agree because this was an easy photograph to take.
• Midland, Michigan
That's probably not customs in the picture, but the way in to see the rock perhaps? Clouds can certainly be deceiving. We'll have storm looking clouds here that never produce anything and other times barely a cloud in the sky and it rains much of the day.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
It is definitely customs because I had just passed through when I took the photograph.
@garymarsh6 (13204)
Oh dear. It looks a little different to a few weeks ago when it was glorious sunshine all day!
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Oddly it was quite decent weather despite the deceptively ominous cloud above.
@cpefley (1535)
• Hemet, California
That is a great picture! I have always wanted to see Gibraltar. Maybe someday. Hope the weather behaves itself for you!
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
It did behave and I had a great day there. Gibraltar is very small so it is a wonderful place to spend a day, but a week there would be too much.
@Julie555 (2551)
Yeah,cloud seems very darkBut place is very nice
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
I agree, it is a really nice place to spend a day.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Can you climb to the top of the rock? How tall is it? Cool picture.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
There is a cable car that goes most of the way. This is where the apes are and therefore a popular attraction.
@mysdianait (64064)
So pleased that the cloud did not spoil things for you as it certainly looks very disturbing and ominous! Enjoy the rest of your holiday!
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
It was even more ominous 5 or 6 hours earlier as I approached the border, but was not noticeable once I arrived.
@hereandthere (28810)
it's a great picture, a ground view of the rock and how big it is.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Yes it is, the waiting point for the coaches is an excellent place to take a photograph of it.
@Inlemay (16484)
• South Africa
YOU were IN the Cloud on the ROCK! Oh that is a marvelous photo and Now at least I can say I have laid "secondary eyes" on Gibraltar
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
It is a very small place, but a nice place to spend a day.
@LeaPea2417 (18985)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That does look stormy.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
That was precisely my concern, but it was unfounded since the weather remained dry all day.