The Ruins of Whitesnake

@CRK109 (14435)
Back in the 80s, I loved the music of Whitesnake. David Coverdale wasn't the best singer by any stretch of the imagination, but he knew how to get a crowd excited. And his music videos on MTV had already excited a couple of generations of fans. Their concerts were fun. Yesterday, I happened to find a Whitesnake concert on TV, and I thought I'd take a peek. I wanted to hear the music and see how Coverdale was aging. Well, I know what it looks like when I look into the mirror. I realize we're all aging. But I don't get up on stage and try to convince everyone that I'm still who I used to be. David Coverdale is 65 now. His face shows every line of his age. I can't imagine his hair is real anymore, although I do know a couple of guys in their 60s who still have a great head of hair, so who knows. But his voice has had it. He can still hit the high notes, but now he screeches. It's just not pretty. Thankfully, his fans love him anyway. His bandmates are now half his age and while they have a lot of energy to play their instruments and get the job done, Coverdale continuously made the audience sing the songs (giving his voice a rest), and he often turned the stage over to one of his bandmates to do a solo, so he could go to the back of the stage and catch his breath. It was very sad. I don't think I'll ever be able to hear their music in the same way again. -Claudia- image from pixabay
That's sad.
@CRK109 (14435)
Sure is!
@CRK109 By the way, I started reading that book you reviewed - Discovery of Witches, it's a great read.
Back in the 70's I loved the music of Whitesnake. Most of the older guys can't sing like they did back then. Robert Plant is the perfect example. By the way, did you know Coverdale sang for Deep Purple for a few years before forming Whitesnake with a few other members from there?
@CRK109 (14435)
I only just recently learned about Coverdale and Deep Purple! I'd never known that before. And yes, I agree about Robert Plant. Sad. But then there's Mick Jagger who's in his 70s and still going like a ball of fire!
@CRK109 I've been a fan of Purple since the early 70's and quite naturally followed Rainbow and Whitesnake
Coverdale is 65? That's a grim reminder of our own age!
@CRK109 (14435)
No kidding. But when I think of all the aging rockers, Mick Jagger at 73 or so, really is the Energizer Bunny of the bunch! I saw the Stones in concert when Mick was about 65 and the man never stopped dancing through the entire concert! He puts all the others to shame! lol
@Morleyhunt (20383)
Time passes. We can't go back. Often trying to sneak a peek at the past is almost scarring.
@CRK109 (14435)
Yes, that's so true. I can only imagine that Coverdale really needs the money.
I always liked Whitesnake too, haven't seen them in a long time and, that is sad, prayers to him.
@CRK109 (14435)
I can't imagine he'll be hitting the road too much longer!
It's sad when the idols of yesteryear don't recognise that they are past their best.