Christmas Alphabet - D

Green Bay, Wisconsin
D is for Donkey, Decorations We all know the Christmas story of Jesus' birth would not be complete without the donkey who took Mary to Bethlehem. It has been suggested and no way proven, and not mentioned in the Bible, that Mary rode or did not ride the donkey. If you consider the gait of the donkey and Mary's advance stage of pregnancy, there is every chance that had she ridden the donkey the gait alone would have put her in labor long before they reached Bethlehem. Like I said, there is no evidence to the contrary. It just seems more appropriate that the donkey was used to carry their supplies. Just something to think about. Decorations is another tradition at Christmas time as houses are lit up by lights inside and out and garlands grace mantles, trees are decorated with all kinds of ornaments, and our houses are bright with the joy of the season. Thanks for reading.
Surely for our culture is not believable that a pregnant woman rides a donkey, but even in our days in some countries donkeys are used as "ambulance" to bring pregnant women to the hospital. As you can see from the attached photo taken in Afghanistan @DeborahDiane
That is interesting.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck That is an amazing picture! Thanks for sharing it.
@DeborahDiane (20868)
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - You make a good point about riding a donkey just prior to giving birth! Of course, walking is something women are often encouraged to do in order to stimulate labor. It is hard to know either way, but I'm sure the donkey was needed to carry their supplies on a long trip.
Since walking was the mode of the day, and considering the tax was called for with plenty of time for Mary and Joseph to walk to Jerusalem, I'm thinking it was healthier for her to walk than to ride.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - Yes, that makes sense to me.
@SophieY (857)
• South Africa
Oops it seems I am lagging, I need to get to my C rhyming today sometime later
I'm lagging too. I missed a day.
Great definition of the letter D and, yes that would be a rough ride on a Donkey.
Yes it would. Thank you.
drums, decking halls, decorations, and Dancer!
I had decorations. I figured that decking halls went along with decorations, so didn't put that one in. Forgot about drums, especially when Little Drummer Boy is one of my favorite Christmas songs, and didn't think of dancer, but it is part of the 12 Days of Christmas song. Silly me.
@just4him lol, yeah decorations is kinda decking the halls.
@Jessicalynnt Yeah it is.
Good point about the donkey.
Thank you.
@just4him you are most welcome.
One of the words beginning with the letter D related to Christmas is : donations. That is probably the time of the year when the charities get the most donations.
Yes it is. Thank you for that suggestion.
I think Mary rode on that Donkey who no one mentioned. The donkey was important to.
We will never know for certain. Yes, the donkey is important.
@Platespinner (16510)
Lots of decorations around here this time of year . I think you meant to use gait rather than gate.
Thank you. I'll change that.