My blood pressure rises when I am at my appointment.

Dallas, Texas
My blood pressure has always been a problem. It runs high in my family. No way to stop drinking Dr. Pepper and no way to lose those extra pounds. I take blood pressure pills but even after a few years of getting it down by taking a pill I do realize how I manged to get to this point in my life. The thing is, I eat like an American. The only way I can get my blood pressure to go back down and keep it down in addition to medications for now, is to adopt a new kind of diet but what kind? I have tried fasting but that never worked. I even tried to keep sugar and salt out of my diet but I began to crave both.
@Mike197602 (13379)
• Worcester, England
Blood pressure rise during a doctors appointment used to be known as white coat hypertension. As regards a diet your best bet would be to ask your doctor to refer you to a good dietitian and they'll help you with healthy eating and balanced meal plans. Fasting is not the way to go at all.
• Dallas, Texas
I think I will do just that, find a good dietitian to help me work up a better eating and exercise program. I know that walking comes natural to me but I need to find a way to walk in a safer area of town. This area is too dangerous from stray dogs to drive by shooters. lol
@Mike197602 (13379)
• Worcester, England
@lookatdesktop you could even get yourself a treadmill for your house.
@inertia4 (26995)
Sorry to hear that. I have high blood pressure also. But I also smoke still. I need to eliminate that. And yes the diet makes a difference. Stop using salt on meat. Stay away from red meat as much as possible. Eat more chicken, pork and fish. You can have diet soda, but keep it to maybe one a day. No sweets either. Losing weight has a lot to do with carbs, that means sugar and pasta and breads, even serial. Potatoes and corn as well. I know, sounds crazy. But it is what it is. Walking more, staying active. It will never happen right away, give it time. I hope you can accomplish your goals.
• Dallas, Texas
Thanks, I am really hoping for a positive change in my weight as well as in my general outlook.
@inertia4 (26995)
@lookatdesktop Tell me about it. So am I. I have been eating things I shouldn't be. And my sugar has not been good either. I need to get back to where I was. And now with the holidays coming up it is not helping.
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
A crushed garlic supplement, should help to lower the blood pressure, and improve cholesterol as well. Plus works good for a blood thinner too. Were you nervous, or perhaps you had coffee before you went to see the doc?
• Dallas, Texas
I was in fact, very nervous. The traffic in our car to the doctor's office is such that I sometimes have flash backs from a few car accidents I survived in the past.
My father has high blood pressure. I hope I never develop it. I eat terribly. Why is there no way for you to stop drinking Dr. Pepper? I can't stop drinking coffee. I wish I could I would be a lot healthier.
Have you tried decaf? It is the caffeine in coffee which affects blood pressure.
@Kandae11 My dad had to switch to more decaff over the years. I do not have high blood pressure and hopefully never will. Mine as a teen and early adult was so low I would black out a lot.
@shaggin To high or to low -- both a problem.
@Tina30219 (28362)
• Onaway, Michigan
Never been through this except for when I was pregnant with my kids
• Dallas, Texas
Well, as I was once explained about this there might be a temporary rise from fluid retention as a side effect of a normal pregnancy and I am happy for you that your pressure went back to normal afterward.
I had a problem with pressure until I changed my diet. I am a semi vegetarian and I don't drink soft drinks. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables and lost all my extra weight. This is it however, you don't have to give up your favorite stuff completely, you cut down on the amount and instead of having something you're guilty about every other day, instead have it once per week or per month, after awhile you won't crave it so much.
• Dallas, Texas
You have provided me with some good ideas here. Thanks. I will try to stop eating red meats but I still enjoy pork and chicken and fish. But, I think that cutting back gradually on guilty foods like the ones I know in fact are unhealthy. This is one good idea and maybe go for more fresh fruit and veggies as much as I can afford.
I read that one should sit for 5 minutes before blood pressure is taken and never cross the legs during the process to get a lower reading. Not sure if that works, but I never go to the doctor unless I am in dire straits. I am a vegetarian, but I doubt if that helps. Organic apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon a day, is touted as something that lowers blood pressure.
• Dallas, Texas
Actually you have given me some good information. I will work with it.
Fasting is not a solution.