A Nice Surprise But Aiming Higher

By Val
@valmnz (12595)
New Zealand
I quite enjoy receiving pleasant news when I've long since forgotten something. I learned the other day that I had been one of 22 long listed out of 92 entries in a short story writing competition I entered a few months ago. I'm quite pleased about that, as I haven't written much fiction in the last three years. However, there's room for improvement. Maybe I can get in the top 10 next year. Photo is of one of our nearby wind farm windmills.
• Peoria, Arizona
That is so awesome! I am not a short story writer at all, but I enjoy them a lot! Great job!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Thank you. I was up against some experienced writers.
• Peoria, Arizona
@valmnz You still did pretty well, perhaps practice a bit more until next time!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@DesirousDreamer writing competitions here always attract strong competition. es, I am pretty pleased with how I did.
Congratulations. I should send some of my writing out at some point. I write for a group of sites on line, or used to,and make quite a bit. I have quit them though because they changed their guidelines a lot and some closed that I enjoyed writing for.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Most writing competitions won't except material that has been online, so be careful what you use there.
@valmnz .....Yes, most want original material. Thank you for the reminder.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@celticeagle hopefully mot point this out in their conditions of entry.
Congratulations, being in the top 22 of 92 is very good. Of course there is always room for improvement, but you should be proud of yourself.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
I am actually, thanks Anna. It's always a strong competition.
@valmnz I am sure it is, I imagine there were many very good writers in competition.
• Portland, Connecticut
Congratulations on making it to the top 22, that is impressive. I am sure you will place even better next year.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
And I've just learned another writing friend made the cut that far as well.
• Portland, Connecticut
@valmnz It is wonderful that you can share that together. Other writing friends understand better what this kind of things means to a writer.
@moffittjc (31847)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think the day we stop trying to improve is the day we should call it quits and lay down in our grave! We should always be trying to improve each and every day of our lives!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
But at my age you have to wonder what fresh ideas I can come up with
@moffittjc (31847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@valmnz It doesn't matter whether you come up with fresh ideas or not, it matters that you continually try! And it doesn't matter what age you are!
Good for you. Writing competitions are a bit like that aren't they? And if you're in the 'long list' isn't it possible to move up or has the competition been judged now?
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
No, the competition has been judged.
@valmnz Since I've been on BB and here I've pretty much stopped entering competitions. I really should start again. Too much lethargy and procrastination!! :)
This has served as an impetus for you to do better and I am sure you will.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Thank you, I seem to have wandered away from the fiction writing path in the last three years,
@valmnz Just a bit of recognition is enough sometimes to bring out the best in us.
Congratulations that is a great accomplishment. Best of luck on making the top 10 next year.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Thank you. I'll probably start earlier before the competition next time!
@valmnz Well I wish you luck. You can do it!
@Plethos (4853)
thats a great start ! you should write again, maybe even post a paragraph on here for some feedback or as practice. good luck !
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
You can't enter material that has been published online in writing competitions.
@Plethos (4853)
@valmnz - i see . . . well thats a bit of a bummer.
That's good placement. I hope you will do much better next year. That would be great.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Coming up with a good story is the challenging part one that has something new to impress the judges,
@valmnz I agree. I know every story I start I hope will be a good one. I hope you are able to impress those judges next year.
There is always room for improvement for all of us in everything we do.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Definitely and I'm always up for a challenge.
@valmnz Then you will succeed!
• Preston, England
well done for getting so far - your work was considered better than 72 other entries so that in itself is a great achievement
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Yes, I'm quite pleased about that. Thank you.
Good news ! One of 22 long listed out of 92 entries is no mean feat! Congratulations!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Thank you. I do feel proud of myself.
@Platespinner (16766)
Congratulations! I have more luck at contests with my sewing than with my writing .
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
I've had a few small successes in the past, but this is the first I've entered for about three years
@suziecat7 (3444)
• Asheville, North Carolina
Congratulations - that's awesome!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Thank you.
@xFiacre (9841)
@valmnz I still haven't got round to entering anything. Maybe some time. But congratulations to you.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Thank you. The only way I get fiction written these days, or poetry, is to enter competitions. But we don't have many in New Zealand.
You should be quite pleased. I am impressed. Shooting for the top 10 next year is a wonderful goal!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Thank you, yes, but I'm realistic enough to know I'm up against some talented writers.
• Denmark
Are the people nearby in favour of the wind farm? In Germany, there are always heated discussions. People want clean electricity but not near their homes.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Exactly the same here! There's divided opinion about them. They can be quite noisy for nearby residents on the life style blocks in the hills
That is really good and quite high on the list.
well grats, that's pretty good either way!