Stars on a Cloudy Night

Winston Salem, North Carolina
The weather forecast proclaimed that we should expect rain and more rain, so when we settled into bed last night and looked out the window we were surprised to see pinpoints of light twinkling in the sky. Something seemed a little off though, one of the tiny patches of light seemed a little too large and a little too green. I pointed it out to my husband and then we each rolled to our respective night tables to grab our glasses. Equipped with the ability to actually see we perceived that there was a small spot of green light on the trunk of the tree outside our bedroom window. Phosphorescence perhaps? We scanned the world outside of our bedroom window and noticed more pinpoints of light and again noted that they all seemed to be on the branches or trunks of the trees behind our home, most of the lights were green but a few were a warm shade of red. The truth dawned on both of us at the same time and we started to laugh. Our next door neighbour had set up the same projection lights that he had bought to decorate for Christmas last year. This year, however, the projector is sitting a little further from the house and the spots of light that we were seeing were the scattered projection spilling out into the sides of the yard. While out walking this evening we noted that yes indeed the front of the neighbour’s house was speckled with the green and red lights from a projector, and the trees to both sides were dotted with tiny glimmers of light. Personally I think the lights shining in the trees look far more attractive than the ones on the front of the house!
@UncleJoe (9940)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Those lights always look better on greenery than brick or siding.
They sure do. I don't much care for the effect on the front of a house, but it sure looks pretty in the trees.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
those lights cause some confusion....my husbands comment was....those have got to be impossible to put up that neatly. Then I explained it was a projection. I'm still laughing.
That was actually my reaction the first time I saw them last year; How on earth did they manage to put up all those lights so neatly!
rhat sunds so pretty love christmas lights
I agree. They look prettier on the trees or trimming the rooftop or windows.
@ms1864 (6989)
• Bangalore, India
i was almost mesmerised by the thought of unexplained lights until you gave a rational explanation..
@CRK109 (14465)
LOL! That's too funny!
@Inlemay (16542)
• South Africa
Ahh - the earth does provide its own magic through the stars, clouds and skylight
@happyhaha (294)
• Fuzhou, China
Beautiful view, I like this.
• Eugene, Oregon
Wow, i thought you had some mutation tree frog at work or an alien presence of some kind. I have not scene a projector like that.
@dpk262006 (56170)
Shining and glittering lights always look good. Light is source of positivity and everyone love lights. We have lights on the festival of Diwali here.