From the top of the fridge to that dark place, The Underbeds!

Pixabay free image
Eugene, Oregon
I wrote recently about the dusty, dirty tops of refrigerators and how they can be out of sight and our of mind. Many myLot writers responded and agreed that it was hard to get to the fridge tops mostly because they are out of reach. With some of Anne's art quilting friends coming over tomorrow, weather permitting, this morning was spent doing a major house cleaning. When I say major, that includes under the beds, though presumably, none of these ladies will be looking there. Dust accumulates fast and grows into bunnies, then rabbits and on to kangaroo size if not apprehended and disposed of. Since Anne has some back problems, I have spent the morning helping to vacuum, mop and, yes, invade the forbidding darkness of the Underbeds armed a flashlight and a dust mops of various calibers. I can report that it is once more safe to enter the bedrooms. I will wager that many myLotters clean under beds every week. Are you one of those neat people?
If you want to get a real shock, then check *behind* the fridge and the stove!
Now you're talking. I did that I believe a year ago and I cannot bring myself to do it again but soon it will have to be done @MALUSE
@MALUSE The stove is the worst, because it's even more greasy.
@dragon54u (31617)
@LadyDuck I have found that the "magic eraser" by Mr. Clean--or the generic equivalent--is ideal for easily cleaning greasy stoves. I tried everything and usually the grease just moved around and it was so hard to clean. For some reason I tried the magic eraser and it works like a charm!
I dont have any under beds at my house. My kids have a tendency to break bed frames and scoot all of their mess under them when told to clean, so we are now down to boxsprings on the floor with the mattresses on top.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is good way to eliminate the Underbeds.
• Eugene, Oregon
@thehousewife Thanks for commenting!
we not clean every year under the bed.The worst part is behind the fridge,and under the stove.Which is very nasty.
• Eugene, Oregon
I was amazed that @LadyDuck cleans under beds daily!
@JamesHxstatic Try for a few days to do this every day and you can see how much dust there is every single day.
• Eugene, Oregon
@LadyDuck I may try to do that next week.
No James, under the bed not every week, but every day. It is incredible how much dust there is every day under the bad and my husband is allergic to the dust.
• Eugene, Oregon
@LadyDuck, Anna, I had a feeling that you would be among the most conscientious Underbed dust foes, but this is amazing! If a prize were offered, you would win it! I am afraid to look now, since you said so much accumulates daily.
@JamesHxstatic Yes, it is incredible, I clean every day and every morning I find new dust. I wonder where it comes from.
• Eugene, Oregon
@LadyDuck I suspect that there are aliens from outer space bringing in their dust from whatever power source they use and storing it on Earth in the Underbeds.
@Sasquatchy (1115)
Actually my wife has all these storage bags under the bed so there isn't any room for bunnies to hatch.
• Eugene, Oregon
They may be hard to see, but they are there, lurking.
@JamesHxstatic hah! I'm imagining an army brewing that will come out and strike one night!
• Eugene, Oregon
@Sasquatchy Listen carefully as you go to sleep. See if you can hear them plotting.
I don't have the time to clean under the beds each week. Lol. I wish I did! Now that we are moving this weekend I'm scared for the beds to be moved.
• Eugene, Oregon
That could be scary, but at least you get a fresh start at the new place.
@JamesHxstatic Yeah it will be scary I'm sure. Lol. The kids are getting trundle beds at the new house so I won't have to worry about the scary things under beds. Lol
• Eugene, Oregon
@LovingMyBabies That is a great idea!
@Bluedoll (17069)
I try but its an old rented house. The duck tubes are rusty and full of dust and small crawling creatures. Maybe that is why those bunnies actually move if you look close enough.
• Eugene, Oregon
Those creepy crawlies are the worst!
@Bluedoll (17069)
@JamesHxstatic you know I've talking about the microscopic ones, actually they are magnifying glass size
• Eugene, Oregon
@Bluedoll Yes, but all the more menacing, no?
I have a housekeeping programme in that once every week tops fridges and tops of everything else get a proper dusting.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is the way to go!
@JamesHxstatic Unless there is a schedule housekeeping can go haywire
• Eugene, Oregon
@allknowing That is a good way to describe my method.
@jamesHxStatic I don't clean i have a cleaning service come every other week. I do the dishes and laundry because LOVE TO DO BOTH!
• Eugene, Oregon
We both do laundry, but dishes are a chore even with a dishwasher. A cleaning service would be a good thing.
@JamesHxstatic Well, maybe I don't mind doing dishes because I only have my own dishes to wash. I do have a lot of laundries, though. I have to do some tomorrow! It is calming to me repetitive motion and nice warm water on the hands! Sort of lie my daily meditation
• Eugene, Oregon
@Marty1 Oh, well if it helps that way, it must be a good thing.
@Platespinner (16507)
When we lived in a house with hardwood floors I had to be diligent or those bunnies would be escaping from under the beds and scampering across the floor. We currently have carpeting so the bunnies aren't nearly as rambunctious...besides which my eyesight isn't what it once was I I'm not as quick to see them. As for quilting? A not insignificant part of my fabric stash is tucked away under my bed, so I poke around down there quite frequently.
• Eugene, Oregon
Well, be sure to be alert while poking around down there. I know with carpet that they are able to blend in more easily (according to Anne).
@JamesHxstatic Fortunately they don't bite. At least not in my experience.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Platespinner Glad to hear the dustbunnies are gentle down where you live.
@JamesHxstatic When my landlord comes I like to make sure the apartment is nice and clean.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a good idea.
@JamesHxstatic Thanks James.
We have our mattresses low so no need to clean underneath.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a good thing.
@JamesHxstatic .....Yes, it is.
I'm not that neat, but I've gotten a lot better with my housecleaning since my move. The only room in question is my office.
• Eugene, Oregon
I have never been accused of being neat.
@JamesHxstatic Neither have I, organized either.
It is easier to clean under beds when one has wooden floors, a lot easier than carpets.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes it is and we do have wooden floors, but those dark places are easy to forget.
I guess that I am the Mylot minority. I only clean under my bed once or twice a year. I do vacuum as far as I can easily reach it a few times a week though.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sounds like the majority to me. We are all over the place on this one.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is funny how we clean in places people will never look. BUT, it has to be done sooner or later, so-tag, you're it.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is the way it works alright, @PatZAnthony.
• Midland, Michigan
I used to be a lot neater than I am these days. That's mostly due to me running our business for my husband and also working full-time at my cashiering job. I used to try to do a major cleaning at least yearly if not every six months. I used to go through everyone's clothes in the closets to get rid of things not worn in a long time and switch around seasonal clothing, but I've not even done that in years. Our bed, underneath, contains storage of various types. Plus we have a king-sized bed and it's carpeted, not the bed but the floor. The best way for us to get at that space is to lift up the mattress and box springs and clean it from above. We did that over a year ago. With my bad knee and the health issues he's had in the past year, it's not been done since. Most of our fridge is covered by a cabinet, but it would probably be a good idea to clean what's sticking out. My brother will be installing a new disposal and kitchen faucet one of these weeks, and I've been busy enough dusting the living room floor, keeping up on the mopping of the kitchen floor and keeping the dishes at bay. I think those other things can wait until after my surgery. Maybe while I'm not able to work those three months I can get at some of those much-needed things.
• Eugene, Oregon
I hope that surgery goes well for you. It sounds as if you are doing all you can under the circumstances.
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
My husband had a allergy test to find out what was making him sneeze and be miserable. The two things he is allergic to are dust mites and cockroaches.... we laughed out loud when the doctor told him... there are no cockroaches in our house and never have been, probably because we are too north. However the under the bed was ignored a lot and when we got that news I started dust moping under the bed at least twice a week. His nose stopped making noises and we are glad to know, and the amount of dust under the bed was huge,,,, We bought a new bed too...
• Eugene, Oregon
I am glad to hear that you found the remedy to his allergies. I need to pay more attention to the Underbed as well.
the size 'f roos?? mercy! {gigglin'} i've only one bed that i can clean 'nder 'n do such weekly. our bed 'tis a custom made drawer thingy beneath 'n e'en though i run the vac the best i can, i'm certain there's prolly a baby woolly mammoth lurkin' right'n the middle 'f the head 'f the bed.
• Eugene, Oregon
Ohhh that is even worse than a kangaroo!
@dragon54u (31617)
I am not, sad to say! I always mean to do it and never get around to it. Conversely, I have cleaning the fridge top on my desktop mini-minder software and it reminds me ever other month to clean the top of the fridge! I will have to add the underbeds (I love that term!) to my reminders. Wish I had my mom's old dustmop, I can't find anything like that around anymore.
• Eugene, Oregon
Anne has a long handled thing you can put a Swiffer duster on an it grabbed a lot. Glad you liked my 'underbeds' term.