I'm all 'bout those mittens, no gloves!

winter, gloves, mittens
I cannot even count the number of times people have touched my hands and said, "Cold hands, warm heart." My hands are always cold. The circulation of blood in my hands must be below-average. My ears, nose, feet, and all my other important body parts, are warm as can be right now, but not my hands. No way can I ever wear gloves outdoors. Gloves have separate parts for each finger. Those separate parts definitely constrict the blood flow to my fingers. No matter where I go in the winter months, I have to wear mittens so that I do not end up with hands aching from the cold. The mittens that work for me are the fleece-lined, waterproof mittens. No ordinary knitted mitten will do. My husband never wears gloves due to good blood flow in his digits, but it is his feet that suffer most from the cold. The human body is one weird machine.
I rarely where gloves either, unless I have to dig in the snow, because it will burn you if you don't for long.
You probably have some good blood circulation in those hands of yours. Mine would be aching in no time.
I have cold hands all winter even if our winters are mils. I bought some time ago alpaca knitted gloves with cut fingers so that I can use them indide my house when I´m typing
I should try those gloves you wear in the house because my hands are cold as I type now.
My feet and hands are like ice blocks in the cold weather. Even with mittens I am cold. I can't even put my feet against my husband when we are in bed. He nearly jumps 3 feet in the air when I do. I don't do it on purpose, I am drawn to the warmth! LOL
You have double-trouble! Your poor feet and hands. However, making your husband jump due to your cold feet would be a bit of fun every now and then.
@Corbin5 hey, he does it to me and laughs about it! So, pay back as they say....
same here feet and my fingers.Are the coldest part.Mike wear socks in bed.LOL.Next maybe will be the head
Mike's feet must be really cold if he wears socks to bed. The ache from the cold really does hurt and sticks around a while too.
My husband has cold feet and cold hands all the time. The only part of my body that gets cold is the nose.
Yes, the nose is a common body part that suffers from the cold for many. For our son, it is his ears.
@Corbin5 My ears are covered by the hair, I have so much that it's like wearing a hat.
@topffer (34591)
• France
It is usually not cold enough in my area to need to wear gloves or mittens. I have a kind of gloves for the bicycle, not covering completely the fingers, more useful against falls than against cold, but I fear most the cold on the ears than on the hands on a bicycle.
Our son is the one who has ears that become cold before any other body part. Of course, no way would he wear a hat since he does not like the look. Silly man he is.
@topffer (34591)
• France
@Corbin5 I am not like him, and I am not afraid to wear a hat or a bonnet when my ears tell me that the weather is cold.
It can't be easy to grasp things with mittens - is it?
Yes, mittens are cumbersome, but gloves cause my hands to ache, so I will go for the mittens.
@corbin5 I wear gloves as I don't think I found mittens in the winter garment box, I brought out yesterday to go to the mall. I am like your husband my feet are ALWAYS freezing all year! I wear socks except when I am bathing year round!
So good to know you are not bathing with your socks on, my friend!!!
@Corbin5 I was thinking of washing in them with the cold weather coming up, so my feet don't get cold coming out of the tub!
@Marty1 Brilliant idea my friend!!
Yes it is. Your mittens sound nice and warm.
They really are, but it is strange that I have to walk outside with them on because if the cold air hits my hands, my hands will never warm up.
@Corbin5 Do you have a circulation problem in your hands?
@just4him I suppose I do. But, the sub-par circulation is only a problem in winter.
And people wonder why I like the desert .... I'd probably suffer frost bite where you're at
Yes, when it is below-zero here, the heavy-duty mittens come out.
you go out in that @Corbin5 ? Cheeeeeze, I'd be under 3 featherbeds til it got back up to at least 50 I'll bet Molly is lovin it though.
@rebelann Molly does love the cold and the snow. She is a hoot to watch when she plays in the snow. Molly and I walk when it is -15. I just bundle up and off we go.
@PainsOnSlate (20329)
I like gloves, my hands stay warm in them. I do have mittens and wear them with I'm going to be in the cold for a long time... like hiking and cross country skiing..
I have to have mittens on my hands before stepping out the door. If I remove the mittens outdoors, then even the mittens do not work to keep the ache away.
@Corbin5 Ouch, you must hate winter....
@PainsOnSlate Well, only my hands hate winter. As long as I have good mittens, all is well.
I can get cold hands and feet, but I don't wear gloves. I want to, but I feel like there are "things" on my fingers/hand that restrict me from doing what I need to do (I'm just not used to them). I don't think I've ever owned mittens!
I think I have 5 pairs of mittens for different temps. Gloves work if it is in the 50s, but any colder than that requires mittens for me.
@Corbin5 I suppose one could wear gloves - then mittens over them !
@much2say Worth a shot!!!
i prefer mittens myself, though when i t'was able to be outdoors such didn't work well. kinda hard to tend to critters with mittens versus gloves. my hands'n feet 've always been cold, e'en durin' the hot months they've a tendency to be that way. where's a gal find fleece-lined, waterproof mittens??
@Corbin5 hmm, i don't reckon i've seen one'f those stores 'round these parts? most interestin' that they donate such. i imagine here they hold 'nto 'em'n put 'em out fer sell the next year :)
@sallypup (27505)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I must wear gloves cause I need to be able to freely move my fingers. I have to be able to open gates and carry water buckets and feed buckets etc. I can't have my hands bound up cause when I'm cold, I want to get the job done and get out of there!
Well, I have to wear them walking Molly since we walk a mile or two. No need for picking up much, except what Molly deposits. I just slip off the mitten, grab the bag, pick up, and back on goes the mitten.
@sallypup (27505)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 That's a long walk! These days most of my walking is when I'm out doing chores and running to the warm house.
• Preston, England
having litle hair on my head it is my head and face that really get cold so hats and beanies arefrequent wear for me at this time of year
My husband also has very little hair on his head, and he always wears a hat, indoors and outdoors. The air conditioning in the summer and the cold winters here require that hat-wearing.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 I rarely wear one indoors though sometimes I should
Everyone is different aren't they? This was the first year I can ever remember having chilblains so my circulation must be getting slower too.
I do believe it has to do with blood flow. I had never heard of chilblains before until I read Frank McCourt's novel Tiz . What a painful condition chilblains happen to be. My hands will ache for 30 minutes once indoors if I forgo mittens for gloves.
@Corbin5 Years ago kids at school used to get chilblains, usually those who were poorer and didn't have the right or enough clothing.
I don't own a pair of mittens, I live in CA! Gloves I have but don't reach for them as much. My feet is ALWAYS cold.
It seems most of us have a body part that just doesn't allow good circulation of blood.
@Corbin5 hahah yes my feet! AND I hate socks.
@PatZAnthony (12772)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
For me, gloves that have the finger tips removed are great for indoors (yes, it can be that cold for me) You are right. The human body is weird!
Yes, those gloves without the fingertips do come in handy!
I don't like to wear gloves much. But then I end up using a lot of hand cream.
My husband does not wear gloves either. Yes, the hand cream is necessary in winter.
That seems odd, especially as the rest of your body is warm.
I know. Just the hands. My hands are cold as I type this. Oh well, thank goodness for mittens.