What Special Dessert Did Your Mom Make For Christmas Dinner??

@Hate2Iron (7968)
I have to really think back, but I'm pretty sure that it was fruitcake. I don't remember any other dessert, so it had to be fruit cake. On the other hand, my mom loved making pies, but it is the fruitcake that keeps reaching out to me. I should ask her tomorrow if I can get a free line. I can't imagine Christmas without fruitcake! It's odd though that she didn't make the same cake that Nanny made each year. Mom was all about traditions and fruitcake was never a part of it! Just hope that the lines are up tomorrow! This storm has really done a number on our area. Do you remember if there was a special dessert that your mom made??
My mom always made fruitcake. It was so good but for dessert after Christmas dinner it was always coconut cream pie and banana cream pie. They were so good and a family favorite. Nobody makes them quite like mom did.
@Hate2Iron (7968)
Coconut cream pie was a favorite of my moms... now that would be a nice tradition to start wouldn't... a sampling of all the family favorites from years gone by!!
@Hate2Iron Yes it certainly would.
@Tina30219 (35142)
• Onaway, Michigan
I agree nobody makes them like mom. My ex- mother in law made the best pies my mom always buys store bought but the good ones those Marie colanders one sorry about the spelling not sure on how to spell it.
I was born in Milan (Italy) and for the Christmas dinner we always ate the traditional cake, that everyone buys because it is too long and difficult to make at home. The name of the cake is Panettone, only good if bought in a good pastry shop.
@Hate2Iron (7968)
There was a huge number of Italians living in our last town, and I saw that cake for sale everywhere!! Must be good.
@Hate2Iron The commercial ones are not too bad, but nothing compared to those you buy fresh from a bakery. I have ordered mine, the next Sunday we go to get it.
We usually had home-made fruit salad but it would have tinned pineapple in it. Trifle would also be on the table. Our Christmases could be very hot so we didn't always have plum pudding and custard.
@Hate2Iron (7968)
I like the idea of fruit salad especially when the temps are soaring. Hubby's family (from England) introduced trifle and that was really good. He just came home from shopping with plum pudding... I think that I know what we are having this year!!
@Hate2Iron Plum pudding and custard is just what you need when the weather is cold. Did you used to have it with coins in it when you were a child?
My mom makes banana cake its my favorite :)
@Hate2Iron (7968)
Darling daughter makes a killer banana bread... with a ton of chocolate chips. That would be nice for after Christmas dinner!! Hope that your mom makes you another one this year!!
@Hate2Iron yum with chocolate chip is a nice treat My moms been lazy to bake lol and hasn't baked in years lol persuading her would be hard maybe my dad will
@Julie555 (2549)
My mum always used to treat us with her delicious cakes.One of my favourite is Winnie the pooh
@Hate2Iron (7968)
A Winnie the Pooh cake... now that is something that I should know about now that we live so close to Winnipeg!! lol
@Julie555 (2549)
Our mother would make leche flan , buko (flesh of young coconut) salad and other sweet desserts . I love them all . Though she would every now and then makes leche flan , even if it's not Christmas .
@Hate2Iron (7968)
I think that I have a recipe for the flan.. I had it once on vacation and loved it. Must see if I can make it!!
@Hate2Iron Really , you can cook it too! It's just easy actually . It's just through steaming .
@1creekgirl (11343)
My mother made date nut bars and pecan shortbread balls.
@Hate2Iron (7968)
I don't think that I have ever made anything with dates in them... hmmm, maybe I should give it a try. Now the pecan shortbread balls have to be a favorite!!
@1creekgirl (11343)
@Hate2Iron Those pecan balls are called all sorts of things. The date nut bars are made with flour, butter, sugar,chopped dates and chopped walnuts, kind of the texture of a brownie.
@rina110383 (24074)
Her special fruit salad. I hope she'll try potato salad this coming Christmas.
@Hate2Iron (7968)
sounds good!! A nice light dessert!!
It's always salad. When I was younger Buko (coconut) was cheap. She used to make Buko salad. Now, she makes Macaroni salad because it is cheaper. hehehe . And that's the only dessert that she can make :)
@Hate2Iron (7968)
I think that my brother-in-laws family always made a macaroni dessert... I will have to check!!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
My mom didn't and to the best of my knowledge still doesn't cook or bake. So anything she had for deserts or stuff like that was always store bought.
@Hate2Iron (7968)
LOL... sometimes, that is the easiest way. My mom took years before she could turn out anything edible lol... and then she was awesome!!
@Tina30219 (35142)
• Onaway, Michigan
I don't really remember her really making anything special except her Christmas cookies and fudge. She don't really do it much no more getting to old and not a lot of us around to eat it anymore.