Why not just write 'Q' rather than Queue

The letter Q sounds just perfect when we write about standing in line. Why write it as 'queue'? OK if 'Q' looks odd then atleast just write it as 'que' But no. It has to be written as 'queue'. Whoever originated this must have had strong reasons. Anyone knows what those reasons were?
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Because of the rule that a Q must always be followed by a U in English :). Why not just call it "a line", as in "waiting in line"?
I seriously think when this language was created all was not well
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@allknowing Some languages use the Q to signify a glottal stop, like Luqa, the airport on the island of Malta. Native speakers of English have a very hard time with that one.
@pgntwo I have not heard about it but yes other languages do have issues but nothing compared to English. You have to agree with me on that one
@xFiacre (10461)
@allknowing The strange spelling was introduced to annoy and frustrate children who were learning to write.
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Yes. I much preferred "dire rear" to the proper spelling of that particular condition in dictation classes at school.
Then there are words where 't' is silent e.g.bouquet It could have been easier if it was written like bukay. I tend to agree with you (lol)
@xFiacre (10461)
@allknowing However there is an elegance to these eccentric spellings that I enjoy.
@Asylum (47121)
• Manchester, England
If you just use the letter Q it will be indistinguishable from CUE or KEW
If I say I am standing in a Q surely it would not confuse anyone - Would it? Just asking. Anyway why queue? (lol)
@Asylum (47121)
• Manchester, England
@allknowing If you say that you are standing in a queue then nobody would see the spelling. Words are often understood better in context than otherwise, so even if you write "stung by a b" it will be understood. We still need spellings to differentiate words, such as sow a seed or sew a dress.
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Asylum So hard, especially as sow is also a female pig. Standing in a row can be confused (or confounded?) with row a boat or row and fight. I think "set" is the word with the most different meanings in English.
@Stessia (197)
• Abuja, Nigeria
Queueing..... It suggest a never ending ... Its like a running tap... But while trying to figure it out, why don't you kill two birds with one stone by figuring out why "bee" wasn't just left at "B" but had to be accompanied by a double "e".
Bee is written as b these days in the world of mobile phones By giving this example you have confused me more (lol)
Likewise y instead of why? Queueing is a good word to use in scrabble if you're stuck with a load of vowels and that damn Q.
@Orson_Kart That is already used in mobile messaging (lol)
Queue is a French word.
I did not know queue is a French word.
@Beatburn (3995)
@allknowing Neither did I. We learn something new everyday.
All I could find was: "French, literally, tail, from Old French cue, coe, Latin cauda, coda is from where queque came,: I like your idea of using "que." Glad in the USA we call it a "line." That's easier.
It is difficult to find any logic with this language (lol)
@allknowing Yes, and why or why cannot knife be spelled nife, since the k is useless due to being silent.
@Corbin5 And yet @Koalemos thinks everything is justified. (lol)
Good point! I simple never use that word.
Abd poor us were taught to use that word (lol)
@allknowing We don't use it here, thank goodness. Years ago I had to look for the meaning of it.
@DianneN This language is such that I think till the dying day we will have to refer to dictionaries - even the native speakers (lol)
@ms1864 (7002)
• Bangalore, India
I have no idea...but i like your logic of just writing it as Q....sounds the same anyway. Now that you have mentioned it...the 'e' is not even relevant..
You remember Amitabh Bachhans lines in namak hallal? " I can talk english, I can walk english, I can laugh english, because english is a funny language" .
@ms1864 (7002)
• Bangalore, India
@egdcltd (5858)
It's English. No logical reasons are required. (I think US English doesn't use the word, but uses line-up instead.)
I do, I do Star Trek copped that letter for one of their characters