Those words that make you cry.

Chile
I just read a post written by my friend lotter Smelly. It´s called "Here's Some Sad Christmas News". It reminded of some of the conversations I had with my grandson Tomás who died from cancer less than a year after my husband died. A couple of weeks after my husband died, he asked me: Grandma, was God dead when my Grandpa died? I freaked out. I´m a non believer. Not exactly an atheist, more like an agnostic. But I won´t get into that. Suffice to say that I could not answer that sentence. Yet, I could not say either yes or no. So I said God was alive, of course. It was night, we were in a car, he was at the front seat and I was at the back. I cried. Months later, the last words he asked me were: Grandma, what is the night? I did not know then that those were going to be his last words to me, but I did know that he was asking about death. I told him that it was the moment when everyone rested to prepare for the next day. I came home that night crying all the way. One of my closest friend called me and asked me if I wanted company. I said Yes. The next day there was a phone call. Monica answered it. Then she told me: The little Prince has gone back to his planet. I am writing this and crying although 16 years have gone by.
How touching. I'm sure you cherish every memory of your grandson. The poor boy.
He was a brave little boy. And a true master for all of us while he was with us.
@DianneN He was so beautiful!
@marguicha I am sorry for your loss. I think you gave the right answers as sometimes people ask questions that are hard to answer. I can see how you would be crying as you write this as it is hard to lose a loved one. I lost my Mom nine months ago today (December 13), and it seems like it couldn't be that long ago, feels like yesterday
There are sorrows that are just too much! Children often ask impossible questions. But I never thought that a 7 year old (and a boy) would as something like that.
@marguicha When kids get an illness it seems like they gain an insight into life. Sometimes they ca teach us adults something I think it is when you know life is not going to be long it makes one think more.
@Marty1 I felt that Tomás has lived all his life in those months he was ill.
I am so sorry to hear that. Yes, it makes heart broken to hear that. I remember when my son was very little, he suddenly asked me whether I would die and I told him that I would not die now. He was still very sad and cried to hear that. I told him many times that it would take a very long time and even if I was gone, I would look at him from the heaven and I would be still around. But it didn' help so much Children will be sad to imagine one day that their parents die, but actually it is worse that children die before us. When I read your discussion, I am tearful since I know how hard it feels.
IT was very painful to part from my husband. But after all, we had lived a life together and not many people have this. But to see a child die is not fair, it is unconceivable
@marguicha Yeah, I really understand it. You know many of us have one child only, you can imagine how hard it is if we lose our child. I knew my parents' worries when I was a child. So I tried to do less risky things. Being safe for me is important for them.
@youless I know. And this child was a child that apparently was protected from everything. Yet he had a very agressive kind of cancer.
I am so sorry for your loss. How old was your grandson. I am mourning the loss of my niece 3 years ago. We miss her so much. She was 36 and she left behind a little boy.
He was 7 years old. He woul have been 23 now if he has lived. And many things of our present would be different now.
@marguicha That is so tragic. You answered his questions well. What a tough thing for a child to go through.
@paigea He was a hero!
So sorry for your loss. That is so heartbreaking. He was a brave little boy.
He was a very special child. We will always miss him.
@marguicha It is always so heartbreaking when children pass.
@Happy2BeMe It should not be so
I am so sorry you lost your grandson. That must have been so heart-wrenching. You must have found it very hard to answer his questions. I think you did very well saying the night was for 'resting'.
These are the sort of answers that come to us in those moments. I think I was inspired by love.
Hugs to you!
@silvermist (20100)
@marguicha That is definitely a heartbreaking story.Tomas would be in your thoughts always
I´m sure many of us here have one of them. That´s why I always say that cancer is not the worst thing that has happened to me.
@Sasquatchy (1115)
Sorry for the trigger! I'm a bad person!