Moms Losing Her Job!

Sad news we received not too long ago; the company my mom has worked for the last 30 years is going under - closing its doors for good in the end of January. It is a data entry company, business has been slowing down progressively over the years. Its a very small company, in fact my mom is the only regular employee. Now she faces a dillemma of having to apply for jobs after 30 years of working for the same one. She surprises me by not being very upset by it. Iam more upset than she is in fact. I told her I would help her in whatever way I can, so we made a resume the other day and will be applying for some jobs soon. Thirty years is such a long time! I havent had a job interview in about a year and even that feels like too long of a gap. Lol. Have you been in this position?
That is a long time to stay in one position. She has certainly been a loyal employee. I hope she is able to find another job quickly.
Thanks! I appreciate that. She has probably stuck with it too long, its gotten to the point where she works less than 20 hours per week due to business levels. I appreciate your best wishes!
@maezee Sometimes it is hard to leave a job where you are comfortable with all aspects of it.
I have been with the company that I am at now for 30 years and I can not even imagine what I would do if they were to come to me one day and say they were closing. I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for another job and to start all over again after 30 years. I wish her all the best in wherever the next chapter in her life takes her.
Thank you. Job hunting is scary! We get so used to what we do. I even feel that way after 2 shorr years. Just keeping reminding myself - when one door opens...
@maezee that is true and that is all you can really do. I hope brighter things are in store for your mom.
Good luck to your Mom!
Thank you!
@silvermist (20099)
@maezee That really is sad Will the company pay her any pension?30 years is a long time.Hope your mom gets a job soon.
Thanks! There is no pension at her job.
I am so sorry to hear this. So glad your mom has help from you. I have not experienced this, but our son, who has a B.S. in Economics and an MBA in finance/marketing has been laid off three times due to outsourcing of jobs to other countries. Hope the one he has now will not be outsourced. Wishing the best of luck to your mom!
Your mother must be somewhat relieved, maybe that is why she isn't so upset. And if she's worked there for 30 years, she has probably seen a lot of people come and go, and she's remained, so now its her time for some unemployment insurance. Hopefully the company will provide some career counselling for her, or she can get some thru unemployment. My husband's company closed the doors just months before he got 30 years in-its amazing how he was so close and yet so far from a true retirement.
Oh man what a bummer. Was he able to still retire? Since she works only part time we are worried she wont qualify for unemployment but I havent looked into it yet.
@maezee He took a year off when they closed. He's still too young to retire, but will retire before because that company was really great for giving so much into their employee's pension fund. I hope that your mother finds something else.
@shaynas (5528)
30 years is surely a long time. But surely she will find a better one, with such a nice experience :)
Yes! Thanks for the positivity. Its appreciated!
@shaynas (5528)
@averygirl72 (16620)
Sad news. Hope she'll find a replacement soon
Thank you! We are looking.
@maezee I am so sorry this happened You are a great daughter to help mom. That is a long time to be working in one job
Thanks for that. I am hoping we can find something quick.
Sorry to hear this and, hope she will find a even better job soon, my moms been at the same job about 25 years.
Wow thats a long time too!
@Meramar (2640)
After thirty years working for the same company, it won't be easy to find a new job. Nowadays, the way of looking for a new one changed, even the way to apply or to deal the interview. Hopefully, it won't affect her too much. I've never been in such a position, but I imagine that she might feel strange.
Yes! I agree. Another thing I worry about is her company is so small and their computers are sort of out of date. I hope it all works out though.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
So sad to hear about your mom! That's horrible loosing a job where you spend 30yrs of your life. Hope she finds one soon. Do let us know when she gets .
Good luck to her. I have never been in that position.