Worn Out Before Stepping Out the Door

With today's temperature being a frigid 15 F (-9 C), one has to bundle-up big time before venturing outdoors. Our pup Molly, a frigid-weather-loving dog, has no need to bundle-up due to that double coat she sports. I have to wear so many items to endure a long walk with Molly when temperatures are below freezing. Putting on all the gear I must wear to protect myself from the cold and from slipping on the ice, I am worn out before I head out the door. 1. Boots- Warm, clunky ones with good tread are a must. 2. Traction Spikes- No boot will, even those with good tread, prevent a slip on the ice every time. Traction cleats are spikes embedded in rubber that are placed over the bottom of each boot. I lost one of the traction spikes yesterday in deep snow, but Molly and I found it on today's walk. 3. Hat- A really warm one with faux fur looks OK, but it is hidden under the hood of the coat, so looks really do not matter. 4. Mittens- Thick, warm-as-can-be mittens work best for me. 5. Sweatshirt- The sweatshirt goes over the shirt and under the coat for added protection. 6. Scarf- The scarf is necessary to cover the bottom half of the face to protect tender facial skin from the blowing snow and gusts of wind. 7. Coat- A wool coat with a large hood trimmed in faux fur goes over the knitted hat to protect the sides of the face from the blowing snow and chilling wind. Whew!
-19°C, goodness gracious! I've just checked a city in Central Siberia from where I know someone. It's just as cold there. Where in the USA do you live?
My error. -9 C is the correct temp. On Sunday, however, we will have -5 F which, according to the calculator, is -20 C, if the calculator is correct. Sunday will be a brutal day. Northern Illinois is our area and we have gotten to -15 F, and years ago, -26.
@Morleyhunt (19145)
@Corbin5 I don't use the calculator...I look at my thermometer. It shows both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
@Morleyhunt I need one of those. Last winter we had a -15 F, and as a kid, a -26 F. Amazing how we make it through those temps.
That does it, I'm under the covers ...... boy, all that just to go out, I'd be miserable.
Well, the sun is out, so it was nice and bright out there. Sigh!
Yeah but sunshine doesn't always mean warm @Corbin5 I still gots people bumps. bbbuuuurrrr
@rebelann It just brightens the mood a bit.
Whew is right! Its very cold there today, its cold here too, but not quite that cold. I bundle up when I go outside also. I don't have any spikes, I am just too afraid of walking on ice, with or without spikes because I have severe osteoporosis and I don't have to fall to fracture my spine, so I am very careful and often stay indoors if ice is present.
A fall is really scary for me too, but out we go. I also ordered traction cleats which have even better gripping power. I made an error, and we are -9C, and not -19C, thank goodness.
@Corbin5 Okay, that sounds a lot better. I was starting to think that a certain hot place might freeze over with those temperatures!
@Juliaacv We will have -5 F ( -20 C), on Sunday. If the Celsius is not correct this time around, I am giving up on the online calculator and using only Farenheit.
@kevinakash (1949)
• Sri Lanka
you may not believe that i have never faced a temperature less than 15 C
It would be quite a surprise for you if you came to visit here!
• Sri Lanka
@Corbin5 yeah so true. i'm not sure would i be able to bear that low temperature
You are ready for the cold - and Molly too of course. They say today is in the low 70s for us . . . while being out and about, I actually had to take my jacket off!
You have some lovely weather!!! -5 on Sunday here. Yikes!
@Corbin5 Wow! Well, it's starting to get grayer and colder now . . . hopefully we will get some kind of rain!
@topffer (32884)
• France
Brrr, I feel the cold only by seeing all the clothing you need for a walk. I really dislike when it is freezing.
We will be at -5 on Sunday. Not looking forward to that. Wish I had a dog that had no fur!!! If Molly does not get her walk, she stares at me for 35 minutes until I get ready and go! Her stare-downs are unnerving.
@topffer (32884)
• France
@Corbin5 Yes, she is waiting for you. She would learn to do her walk in the garden without me if she was my dog. Joking. A dog needs more involvement than a cat.
@FayeHazel (15107)
Unforunately I know the feeling... getting ready is a workout in itself
The snow has melted and it sure is less tiring when I do not have to wear those clunky boots. Whew.
• Trinidad And Tobago
You sound so fully prepared. I supposed that's long experience. I would have been lost. We have no winter here. Only heavy rains or blistering heat.
It is rather hard to move with all that on, but sure do need it all.
@Inlemay (16470)
• South Africa
it looks like a check list my friend will soon have as he arrives in CANADA - they have told him not to bring anything from SA as we have no idea what kind of cold to carter for - so he will buy new there
So important for him to be prepared. Canada does have some of the coldest temps coming its way.
@PatZAnthony (12245)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
By the time I get everything on, I can't turn around!
I know! I cannot move my head at all. After I put the ice cleats on, found the lost one a few blocks away, I have to stand on a towel and slide to the door since the cleats will ruin the floors.
Wow! I have to go out tommorrow and it will be fairly cold as well. I have a coat that is doubled lined..that with a hat and gloves should do the trick.I do have a scarf I might put on for show. We have no snow.
So good to hear you have all the equipment needed to ward off the cold!!! Today's walk wasn't band due to very little wind.
@UncleJoe (9292)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
That's one of the things I hate about winter. I have to dress to the hilt just to walk 10 yards to the mailbox.
I fear the slip and fall. Could take a person out of commission for a long time. Waiting for ice cleats for my boots to arrive.
I understand perfectly well what you are saying here.
Frigid again today. Will have to bundle up once again. Such is winter.
@Morleyhunt (19145)
I pulled my winter coat out of the closet. The temperature was -9C (10 F) . Luckily my fuzzy mittens and my knit cap were in the pockets of my coat. The sun was shining, which gave the illusion of warmth. Now the wind is howling....the snow is blowing...it's downright nasty out there. I'll bet Fifi does not want to go out at supper time.
I fixed my error thanks to @MALUSE, and we are at -9 C also. Sunday will be brutal even worse.
Wow, that's cold - it's pretty mild here. I find that if I covering my chin with a scarf, as you do, helps a lot in really cold weather.
@LoriAMoore (4897)
Same temps here but I only wore a scarf and hoodie because I figured I'd only be exposed from car door to gym door.
@hostessman (8527)
• Tucson, Arizona
it is worth every effort you have to go through to keep Molly happy and for her to have her walk
@quantum2020 (8574)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
Those are all good clothes for the cold weather ouside. You must feel warm under all that cold gear. I hope you and Molly have a wonderful and enjoying walk at the park
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
And with all that on I can't bend my arms lol. Whew is right I got tired just reading it lol
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
Phew -19 or -9 it makes me feel cold just reading your list of things needed for the cold weather. The traction spikes are a must for me as I am scared of falling. Luckily they are not needed here too much.