Frozen, and They Seem So Happy!

I just looked outside at our koi pond. It has ice on it, which developed overnight. We have a bubbler on so it never freezes completely over, and this allows the fish to get some oxygen. But it froze quickly and that makes for clear ice. And I can see my little fish chasing each other around in the pond. After the warmth of the autumn but before the ice forms we see the fish go dormant and they all stay near the bottom of the pond and don't swim much. Today they have woken up from their pre-winter naps and are having a ball out there. Its nice that the ice formed so quickly so that we can still keep an eye on them. Now if the snow will just hold off, because that will cover up our view!
So lots of them survived that pesky heron!
Yes, we had to put an ugly get just under the surface of the water, but it did save a lot of lives. My hubby just removed it a couple of weeks ago because we didn't want it to freeze.
@Morleyhunt (15383)
We have snow and white out conditions. The wind is supposed to change later and then someone else gets the snow off the lake.
We get some lake effect snow here, but nothing like you would get there. I just went outside to take a picture of the full autumn moon, and I didn't put any gloves on, boy was I sorry I did that! The wind is bitterly cold tonight.
@Morleyhunt (15383)
@Juliaacv the storm seems to have moved on....the moon was spectacular.
They are really pretty! =) Glad you can see them enjoying their time.
Watching them brings us a lot of pleasure, they are pretty comical really. There is one that I've named Mazda (remember the zoom zoom zoom commercial?) he likes to race around the pond and get them all going and playing tag.
@Juliaacv Aw that is so cute! =)
guess you have to shovel off the snow?
No, we never bother shovelling the snow off of the pond because it is so much lower then the ground level and there is always an open spot. Those are just the weeks and months that we go without seeing them.
@Juliaacv I see.Thank you
@Jackalyn (6290)
• Oxford, England
Watching fish through ice sounds rathere wonderful.
Its like getting a glimpse into another world, a silent but beautiful world. A large snow globe full of fish!
@Jackalyn (6290)
• Oxford, England
@Juliaacv I love that image.
@Jackalyn Thanks!
@KristenH (19057)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Nice koi pond. They seem to have a winter ball.
They are having fun swimming all over the place and we enjoy standing inside looking out of the window and watching them.
@KristenH (19057)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Juliaacv It sure looks like it to me.
@skysnap (17578)
I love watching Koi.
Me too!
• Peoria, Arizona
they are so pretty! glad they have a little more time to play around before the snow comes in
I am finding it hard to imagine that - watching fish under ice!
Because of their bright colours you don't have any problems seeing them, its like our own live snow-globe!
@Juliaacv That would be so cool!
• Marion, Kansas
I have never heard anyone say their fish looked happy before, but I like the thought. I have always heard that they were greedy and hungry. I have fond memories of my grandmother having a fish pond. We threw oatmeal to the fish in the mornings, uncooked, of course. I am sure plenty of bugs and plant life found its way to the pond as well.
Ours are always out there playing and having fun, in the summer time they will splash the surface of the water with their tailfins, its quite comical. I've never thought about feeding our fish anything but the little pellet-like food that I get in bulk form. Our pond attracts frogs as well, and once we had a turtle wander in and stay for a few days.
@MarymargII (7963)
• Toronto, Ontario
True it must be a surprise after the snow has melted after a long time to see them alive and swimming!
It does look like they are having a good swim in there.
• Pamplona, Spain
I always thought that they sort of went to sleep too. But if they are chasing each other around they must be happy in some sort of way. Snow is on its way here that I know of.
They go dormant during the cold weather, but once it freezes they go crazy out there. Its funny to watcho
• Pamplona, Spain
@Juliaacv Do they go back to a sleepy state after that then? Or do they keep going like that now till March or so?
@lovinangelsinstead21 Its very uncommon for them to be so full of life when its this cold out, they will settle down again until spring.
@ptrikha_2 (5520)
It must be a pretty scene watching like that!
Every season, as the water changes, so do their colours and their activity levels, and it amazes us to watch them. They must love all of the weather except for the really hot weather because they are so active every time of the year except in the real heat.
@ms1864 (6978)
• Bangalore, India
they look beautiful .
Thank you.
@LoriAMoore (8833)
That's pretty cool.
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
That is so cool, I wish we had a yard big enough to have a pond like that.
They are lovely, I like to watch the fish swimming. I hope that they all will be fine during the winter.