Wolf.

@xFiacre (10096)
Ireland
Is it safe to put my bin out after midnight in winter? I'm not so sure. What if I meet a wolf in the snow out there, a lone, hungry wolf? White fur against miles of snow-covered pine forests, following the line of the trees until at the last moment he breaks cover and hurtles across the snow towards me - it doesn't bear thinking about, but then my wife always says I'm a hopeless awfuliser, and the last wolf in Ireland was shot in the early 1800s - I'm told.
@Mike197602 (13399)
• Worcester, England
I'd love wolves to be reintroduced here but our respective countries are just way too small and overcrowded nowadays. When they put wolves back in a few parks in Canada and the US they were shot by ranchers so it'd be sure to fail here.
@topffer (29319)
• France
You should watch a Canadian movie called "The Grey" and decide after if you still want wolves. My grandmother was telling that she had been followed once by a lone wolf when she was coming back from school in the countryside during winter, and that it has been the greatest fear she ever had. It happened circa 1900.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. Please consider expanding the lead to provide an accessible overview of all important aspects of the arti
@Mike197602 (13399)
• Worcester, England
@topffer I've seen it a few times Attacks on humans by wolves are very very rare and often triggered by walkers with dogs or people who don't know how to act if confronted by a wolf. They are very shy creatures who don't actively seek out contact with humans.
@topffer (29319)
• France
@Mike197602 For the moment I have only wild boars in the woods of my area, and I have managed to not be attacked, but I would not like to learn that they have introduced a pack of wolves. They were reintroduced in the French Alps about 20 years ago. In 2005 they killed 2500 sheep and last year 9000. There was a protest of sheep farmers today in Paris : they came with a herd of sheep that they put in the garden of Tuileries. At least these sheep are safe.
There could be that one wolf that survived and it is out there just waiting for you.
Honestly, heavy snow and pine forests?! That sounds more like Germany than Ireland. Not just an awfuliser, but a fantasist too! :)
@xFiacre (10096)
@poppylicious Well you never can be too careful, besides, even if there aren't any wolves lurking in the woods there are a few million Irishmen nearby and they can be just as scary.
@CoralLevang (36797)
And I wish I could simply remember to take the bins out to the curb! LOL
@1creekgirl (7335)
I can relate. A neighbor just told us he saw a 450 pound black bear between our house and the creek. We know there are several near the pond behind our farm, but this news sure puts a halt to any plan to go outside after dark. Your story is much more romantic than mine.
In the deepest darkness of winter who knows what exists.