Dinner: Tuscan-style soup

Author's photo of Tuscan soup
@CoralLevang (39836)
Once again, it was time to make dinner. I am trying to get through the rest of the year with few purchases for food, using what I have on-hand. Soups are my go-to meal, because I seem to be able to turn anything into an edible, yet tasty soup, sometimes using the most interesting combination of ingredients most would not consider. Tonight's fare was reminiscent of a Tuscan-style soup that I have eaten at several restaurants. Here was my ingredient list: --3 slices center cut smoked bacon --a pound of lean chicken Italian sausage (hot) --onion, chopped --clove of elephant garlic, chopped fine --1 cup of chopped celery tops and leaves --1 bunch of kale, chopped --2 tsp. chicken bouillon base --1.5 quarts water --1 small pkg. organic mashed potato powder (potato and butter are its only ingredients) --1 cup of unsweetened cashew milk --black pepper and salt, to taste After browning the meats, I added the vegetables, and cooked for a bit in the meat; then added the water and bouillon base, bringing to a boil. Turning the heat source off, added the cold cashew milk, and stirred in the packet of potato. I used a couple of shakes of pepper and just a dash of salt. Now, you may be asking yourself about some of the ingredients, but I want to share that this soup is delicious! I look forward to eating the leftovers.
I loved your soup. In Winter, when I want a soup for main dish, I love the french onion and potato soup. It is easy, I use only one potato for Leticia and myself and a small onion en julienne.
@CoralLevang (39836)
I normally put in about a cup of half-and-half or cream and had none. I figured the cashew milk would give it the creaminess that I wanted. It was either that or yoghurt and the latter just didn't seem like I would enjoy it! ;-)
There are several Tuscan soups that I like, but my favorite is their classic "Ribollita", it does not contain any kind of meat, only vegetables and the white Tuscan beans (cannellini).
@CoralLevang (39836)
You know about the REAL Tuscan soups! This is simply a variation of Zuppa di Toscano from a restaurant chain here in America. The one you describe sounds delicious.
@CoralLevang I suppose the Olive Garden, we tried it once while in the United States. We never learn, never try food of your country in another country.
@CoralLevang (39836)
@LadyDuck Yes. I don't like it much, but several friends do. I have never been a chain restaurant person. BTW...some of the worst Italian food I ate was in Sweden. *laughs* My Swedish friends were in the mood for pizza. It was disgusting. But then I have eaten pizza in Naples. ;-) I don't care for American-style pizza either.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Come make me soup mommy. Lol. I made no bake cookies tonight and fully loaded mashed potatoes..
@CoralLevang (39836)
*laughs* I wish we were closer, I'd always share soup with you. I just gave a quart of split pea ham & barley to a friend.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@CoralLevang I want some of that too. That sounds so goooood
@CoralLevang (39836)
@thislittlepennyearns Move closer, and you'll always be welcome. :-)
And I bet your homemade soup was far tastier than that in restaurants.
@CoralLevang (39836)
I remember when I first ate this soup at Olive Garden, which is not a place I go often, as I don't care much for it. But I loved the soup. I did what I could to come up with my own version, using all the fresh ingredients. But this was a good substitute. If you were closer, I'd share with you.
@CoralLevang I never cared for Olive Garden but I'm not much of a restaurant eater.
@CoralLevang (39836)
@JohnRoberts I don't care for it either, but it seems to be a favorite among several of my friends. So, I will eat there occasionally, I did have their Tuscan soup one of the last times I was there (which has been only once in the last year), and I realized that I liked my homemade version better than theirs, though they inspired me to learn to make it! LOL
@Jackalyn (6644)
• Oxford, England
This sounds a very hearty soup. It us a great way to get a nourishing meal.
@CoralLevang (39836)
It's yummy. I wish I could make soups and give them all away to people who are hungry.
@Jackalyn (6644)
• Oxford, England
@CoralLevang Thatbwould be amazing.
@CoralLevang (39836)
@Jackalyn I think there are a lot of people, not the typical homeless we see who have people who are doing things for them through programs. I think that there are people out there that we never know are "hungry"... People that we see daily who look well on the outside, but are struggling in ways we have no idea.
@Namelesss (1002)
Sounds like a great soup. I made soup tonight as well using cabbage and celery from my plants and just what else I had on hand. Love soup and looking forward to leftovers.
@CoralLevang (39836)
I was not quite sure of the powdered potato...and thought twice about admitting to the cashew milk. :-) Yours sounds wonderful, too! Where do you live that you still have a garden from which you can harvest now?
@Namelesss (1002)
@CoralLevang I've used potato flakes before too and it really depends on the brand, some are great, some are.. another story. I don't really have a garden but I had one cabbage and one celery plant I put out a few weeks ago that have just flourished. Can't say why but must be because I put them on the table where I feed the birds and squirrels. They must really like that. They are incredibly healthy which is a wonder to me as usually I have a black thumb and a propensity to kill almost anything I plant. I've never put cashew milk in a soup before but I can't see why it wouldn't taste wonderful. I love experimenting and soups are perfect for that. :-)
@CoralLevang (39836)
@Namelesss I used a brand called "Honest Earth" and it's potatoes and butter. They taste wonderful, and I like them to make soup. I used to boil my potatoes and mash them to thicken, but now just use these. Cannot tell the difference. I am the same with the "black thumb." I have killed so many house plants that I don't buy them anymore.
@Julie555 (2597)
Must be very tastyCan i replace cashew milk with average cow one?
@CoralLevang (39836)
Yes. I just had this cashew milk in the refrigerator. I still had a cup of goat's milk, but it smelled a little "soured," so I used the other instead.
@Julie555 (2597)
@CoralLevang Nice.I will try then with cow milk
@averygirl72 (12511)
The soup looks perfect. Maybe I can make one also
@CoralLevang (39836)
Thank you. Make one! It will be delicious!
@spaceseed (2925)
Good recipe..........I am going be vegetarian from 1st january. So I will try some veg ingredients instead of chicken.
@CoralLevang (39836)
Sounds good!
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
looks yummy, + I'm hungry anyway.
@CoralLevang (39836)
I love food, so I could always be hungry!
@AutumnSnow (4625)
That sounds really good, I have never heard of elephant garlic though.
@CoralLevang (39836)
Thank you. Elephant garlic is huge, and looks like a garlic bulb, of which I used one "toe." It's actually not a true garlic, but it's a variety of leek. I like the bulb cut up raw in salads, as it's much milder than true garlic