Ice, falling trees, and alll the schools are closed

Pixabay free image
Eugene, Oregon
It happens just about every winter in western Oregon. Rain falls steadily for a day or two, temperatures hover near freezing. When night comes, the thermometer drops somewhere below freezing and many tall trees are overcome by the weight of the ice. They topple, falling on roofs, cars (in driveways and on streets), occasionally on cars with people in them. Power lines go down, power goes off in parts of town and we are all warned to stay inside. Some downed power lines are live and quite dangerous to touch. Schools close, businesses suffer and winter's bite is felt. Personally, we are fine and have power. Anne has a doctor's appointment this morning. She is about to call and see if the office will be open. I am not scheduled to work at the retail store today, but, then I was wasn't scheduled the last two days and they pleaded with me to come in. My daughter is okay in Portland, I think.She can work from home. Her biggest problem is getting that Chihuahua puppy out do it's thing. There is a woodpecker at my suet feeder and a hummingbird was waiting for the feeder I just put out. I hope that winter, or whatever season it is in your world, is being kind.
The ice on those tree limbs pose such a danger. We are at 1 degree here. Our son, age 32, sent an email from his office asking if we have any extra gloves here, and he said he thinks he needs some. Dude, buy some gloves! Of course we have them here. Yes, I can imagine the pup with little hair does not want to go out in the cold.
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
Sounds like the pup needs some boots and a sweater as well.
• Eugene, Oregon
@His_chariot That pup has a jacket, a hoody and a raincoat, but her feet are sooo small, I don't know how anything would stay on.
Bad weather for sure, hope that nothing fatal has happened.
• Eugene, Oregon
I have not heard of any fatalities at this time and hope there are none too.
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
Sounds like winter is vicious in your neck of the woods.
• Eugene, Oregon
Usually, we have a lot of rain, a little ice and then this happens maybe once. This is the second time this year already.
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
@JamesHxstatic Lovely picture, too bad it is such a bitter time.
• Eugene, Oregon
@His_chariot Thanks. It will warm up some today, maybe 30.
@Platespinner (16512)
Ice is so pretty when it coats everything...but so very, very treacherous! We're expecting some icky weather in the next few days, at the moment, though, it's just cold.
• Eugene, Oregon
I was surprised at the number of limbs down on side streets when we were out. We saw one pretty big tree that put a big whole in a garage roof. Power is out in a number of neighborhoods, with limbs falling on lines.
I saw the report on this on the news.Are you guys okay there?
• Eugene, Oregon
Doing fine, but I will drive Anne to the doc's office soon, since she called and they are there.
@blitzfrick (2912)
Things still not so nice here in Portland, more having to do with people slipping and sliding on the streets and highways than anything else. If we were flatlanders in a flat land it might not be quite so tricky.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am glad that we live in a level area of Eugene. I am not looking forward to taking Anne to the doc.
@JamesHxstatic Hard to believe any offices at all are open. Glad I'm able to stay home until next week, when it warms up. Be safe out there!
• Eugene, Oregon
@blitzfrick The roads are okay down here, but tree limbs are down all over the place and some will be without power for three days. It will be about 20 in the morning.
@sallypup (26658)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I love your photo. We've not had a kind day since almost the first of December.
• Eugene, Oregon
Winter is not a favorite of mine at all.
@sallypup (26658)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JamesHxstatic I love and I mean love not living in a town. Way too close to people for me and yet getting around in the winter is plain plug ugly. Hubby reminds me that it was me that yarked until we moved from town. He reminds me quite often.
• Eugene, Oregon
@sallypup That sounds like a good idea (reminding).
@shshiju (10392)
• Cochin, India
It is sad that winter is very hard and bad there. How will the birds and animals there recover from the climate.
• Eugene, Oregon
I and many others feed birds and that helps, though I don't know how many will not make it. We have hummingbirds that stay all year and there are several using my feeders. This is early for this kind of cold weather.
@shshiju (10392)
• Cochin, India
@JamesHxstatic That's good and noble deed to help the other animals and birds to recover, as they are also part of the nature.
• Eugene, Oregon
@shshiju Thank you. It is also quite entertaining.
@TheSojourner (17448)
You can keep that ice stuff. Brrrr. I haven't been outside yet to see what is going on here. It's too darned cold, though!
• Eugene, Oregon
I am sure it is plenty cold where you are too. Walk carefully.
@JamesHxstatic thankfully we don't have a lot of moisture on the ground.
• Eugene, Oregon
@CoralLevang Yes, that is a good thing for you.
@fishtiger58 (30344)
• Momence, Illinois
No it's not being kind in the Chicago area, we have about 5 degrees currently with a -13 wind chill and getting colder. But I don't expect anything less.
• Eugene, Oregon
I know that you always get brutal winters there. Stay warm if you can.
@fishtiger58 (30344)
• Momence, Illinois
@JamesHxstatic I plan on staying warm. Not going out for a few days I think.
It's cold today, but not as cold as in your town. We expect colder temperatures next week.
• Eugene, Oregon
Well, I guess we can expect this kind of thing for the next three or four months. I hope we get some nicer days.
@JamesHxstatic Yes, it's coming the time of the year when you can expect bad weather.
@FayeHazel (17093)
That is a good head's up about the trees. Here falling icicles can be a hazard.
• Eugene, Oregon
That would be a shock!
@kevinakash (1947)
• Sri Lanka
we don't experience extreme weather conditions during this month
• Eugene, Oregon
Our weather is not usually this bad either.
I hate harsh winters when we have ice on trees and power lines and power outages. We're due for a wintry mix over the weekend so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it isn't too bad.
• Eugene, Oregon
I wish you well with that blast of winter!
My girlfriend keeps giving me updates about Portland. She's from there, so she's following it. Stay safe!
• Eugene, Oregon
It is much worse there really. Cars were abandoned on streets and kids were stuck on a school bus last night for three hours. Just talked to my daughter, snow still on the ground, but warming up some.
• Riga, Latvia
I hate winters that are so harsh. However here in northern Europe we can expect most anything. I was hoping for a white Christmas but now they say we might not get any snow and the harshest weather always comes in January and February.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is usually when this kind of thing happens.
@JESSY3236 (6260)
We haven't had any winter yet.Just coldness. It supposedly coming next week.
• Eugene, Oregon
I hope that the cold weather does not bring a lot of ice for your area.
@Gillygirl (17277)
• Sutton, England
I hope you will stay safe in the bad weather. In Southern England we are having unusually mild weather
• Eugene, Oregon
How nice for you. I don't mind nice Pacific rain storms with temps in the 40s but ice and less than freezing are a bit much.
The tree in your photo is nice to look at. Ice in the streets, however, is horrible and can be fatal.
Sounds like typical winter weather in your neck of the woods. I imagine the road into Crater Lake is closed.
• Eugene, Oregon
No doubt it is. The east side of the Cascades got a lot of snow and colder temperatures than we did. I hope what we got is not a preview.