Giving Your Kids Ridiculous Names

@tallawah (9726)
Kingston, Jamaica
I know a guy who gave his kids "African" names. Now there are many names which are somewhat familiar, somewhat easy to pronounce, and not difficult to remember, to spell or to reflect gender. Then there are names which not only are hard for a Westerner to say, remember or even catch the gender. In the West, names ending in 'a' suggest female. So you can imagine when a boy is named Shemona. Sure, give your kids names that 'mean' something to you. But not when the name is going to lead to the giggles and the confusion.
• Uzbekistan
In Germany, silly names are not accepted by the registrar.
@tallawah (9726)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Very sensible idea.
• Uzbekistan
@tallawah A baby must get a name with which it can live as an adult.
@tallawah (9726)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@MALUSE I am certainly with you on that. I know a number of kids in Jamaica who have these humiliating names and beg people to call them something else.
@ms1864 (6974)
• Bangalore, India
whats in a name?...if people can't pronounce it...they will say it in another way ...problem solved. plus..close family and friends will end up giving him a nick name anyway. Maybe they just want unique names for their kids.
@tallawah (9726)
• Kingston, Jamaica
What about the child? Here he is, and they think he's a girl because he has a girl's name. The other kids laugh at him. Does he need this? It's not like you have a child and the mother's name is Beth and the father's name is John and they call the kid Jobe. This is taking a name from an outside source which means nothing where the child is; it is not the name of family member or friend, it is a name picked out of a book on African names.
@AutumnSnow (4582)
I couldnt agree more. Some names is here and I wonder what the heck was their parents thinking.
@tallawah (9726)
• Kingston, Jamaica
It is as if the parents don't recall what it is like being young when the least diversion from what was expected is seen as strange.