Christmas and the legend of the Farkleberry cookie in Pittsburgh, Pa

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
If you are from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, then chances are you know the farkleberry cookie legend, a legend that the people of If you are from the PittsbuPittsburgh love and all wait for the Christmas season since 1971, 45 years ago, for a local bakery in Oakmont, a Pittsburgh suburb to get their cookies. This great bakery both in generosity and yummy everything they bake! First of all, there is no such thing as a Farkleberry Bush or anything. But Jack Bogut, a broadcaster that worked at KDKA radio, started in 1971 (a month before I was born!) started a fundraising campaign that he was auctioning off farkleberry tarts, Farkleberry cookies.While the cookies and tarts existed the Bush was nonexistent, and he would even sometimes auction off a nonexistent farkleberry bush. The money wasn't going to KDKA but rather the money goes to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Free Care Fund. This is a fund to make sure they never comturn away a child whose parents or family do not have the means to pay for it. Those children get the best care., whether for free, or of course, if the family or insurance can pay for it then they accept the payment) Now in 2016, 45 years later Farkleberry cookies are on sale from the Oakmont Bakery and a dollar from every dozen they sell a dollar is given to the hospital Sources: Pittsburgh.about.com/b/2012/13/19/whatever-hspprnrf- tto-thre -farkleberry-cookie.htm Picture Pixabay
This is a very worthwhile cause.
@judyev Yes, they say that Children's Hospital is fantastic that kids cry when they LEAVE!
@Marty1 That's amazing. It must be a great hospital.
@JudyEv from what the patients say it is wonderful
I did not know this story, but what they do is great. Our big Swiss chocolate factories offer 1$ to the charities for each Christmas chocolate box sold during Christmas time.
@LADYDUCK that is a lot of money from each box. Glad they do it!
@Marty1 The Christmas chocolate boxes are pretty expensive.
@LadyDuck I thought that was the case but wasn't sure as i remember you told me once the best chocolate in the world! I don't know if I could buy that expensive of chocolate as I don't really like chocolate!
That is a terrific cause!
Interesting story.
@cahaya1983 (7930)
This is interesting to know! I've been to Pennsylvania a few times when I was in the States but didn't know about the legend. Thanks for sharing
@cahaya1983 perhaps you weren't in southwestern Pennsylvania the area it is famous. My sister is bringing me one on Wednesday when she brings me a cake that day to celebrate my birthday. It is supposed to be orange base; then cranberries covered in white chocolate the lady on the phone when my sister ordered the cake told my sister who told!
@Marty1 That sounds yummy! I should probably try to find the recipe online.
@cahaya1983 I wonder if they do have it online as that bakery made it special for that radio host. It might not be online. I will give a better description when i actually eat one maybe you can improvise. I think they might not put it online as this is a big fundraiser in Pittsburgh!
Here is a link if you want to learn more:
An introduction to and overview of Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, one of the nation's leading pediatric hospitals.
@marlina Thnk you so much for the link I keep forgetting to go to youtube to learn!
You are welcome.
That sounds like a wonderful event charity.
@just4him Everybody in the area waits until Christmas each year waiting for those cookies! And it is a good hospital! So nobody is turned away if they are children!
@Marty1 That's awesome!
@xstitcher (9892)
• Petaluma, California
Aw. Now I want to buy some Farkleberry cookies !
@xXstitcher my sister,r is on the phone with the bakery now getting me a birthday cake and said she would get me my first farkleberry cookie! I am so excited!
@louievill (16195)
I would support and buy those cookies if I were there, their csuse is very noble
@louievill That would be nice to buy them, but I live too far from the bakery that sells them
• Preston, England
great fund raising initiative
@responsiveme (14347)
Thats a heartwarming story and oneof the things that keep this world going. Thanks for sharing.
@Gillygirl (15292)
• Sutton, England
Interesting story and worthy cause
Thanks for sharing this story. Very interesting.
@LoriAMoore (9542)
Interesting, sort of like hunting for snipe, but for charity.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
What a lovely Christmas story.