What I Want For Christmas!

@Morleyhunt (14146)
Every year my children ask me what do you want for Christmas? I tell them I don't really need anything, but make a few suggestions, because I know they feel they must purchase something. The lean years, we appreciated the gift basket with ground coffee, crackers, cans of soup and the grocery gift card. Last week I found this "essay" on Facebook. I would like to credit the person who actually wrote it but so far everything I have found is just a shared, uncredited quote. So I am copying it into my post, but if someone knows who it can be attributed to, please let me know so I can give credit, where credit is due. " What do I want for Christmas? I want you. I want you to keep coming around, I want you to bring your kids around, I want you to ask me questions, ask my advice, tell me your problems, ask for my opinion, ask for my help. I want you to come over and rant about your problems, rant about life, whatever. Tell me about your job, your worries, your friends, your kids, your fur babies. I want you to continue sharing your life with me. Come over and laugh with me, or laugh at me, I don't care. Hearing you laugh is music to me. I spent the better part of my life raising you the best way i knew how, and I'm not bragging, but i did a pretty darn good job. Now, give me time to sit back and admire my work, I'm pretty proud of it. Raid my refrigerator, help yourself, I really don't mind. In fact, I wouldn't want it any other way. I want you to spend your money making a better life for you and your family, I have the things I need. I want to see you happy and healthy. When you ask me what I want for Christmas, I say "nothing"..... I want you."
Lovely!
@Morleyhunt (14146)
It just sums it all up.
Wow is so beautiful..I must share it on FB for my children.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
The sentiment came across so well. I have it hanging on my fridge. I know my kids read the few things that I hand, because there is never much left there. )I think it looks cluttered and at the moment I seem to have grandkids artwork on display.
@Morleyhunt That is where I display my grandchildrens' artwork as well.
This is really lovely. Thanks for sharing it with us all. If kids would only realise how much parents want a little of their time rather than gift.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
That I why I felt I wanted to share this.
@Tina30219 (20777)
• Onaway, Michigan
I like that very nice. Whoever came up with it is very talented.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
They had an excellent turn of phrase. They summed it up in a paragraph...I would have written a book.
I also have read that on Facebook , as shared by another friend . It's very touching because it is true .
@Morleyhunt (14146)
It is so heartfelt, and sums it up so well.
@Morleyhunt True. ! Is that your dogin he picture ?
@Morleyhunt (14146)
@SIMPLYD yes that is my dog Fifi, reclining on the back of the sofa, watching the world pass by.
That's so lovely. I can imagine that's what mom wanted .... and yep, she got just that.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
They said it so much better than I ever could. I liked the sentiment...not sugary sweet, but very real.
It's old time family caring for one another @Morleyhunt to much about family has changed over the past 150 years.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
@rebelann I was talking to an elderly woman whose family owns a furniture store. She told us they no longer sell dining room tables....everyone just eats pizza in front of the television while sitting on the couch. I found that sad. My husband and I sit together at our table three times each day. Any family who is visiting joins us at this table. Some times the table can be very crowded, but we eat as a family.
That is wonderful and I'll bet that most of us parents feel the same way. It must be awful to be excluded from your children's lives.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
I am truly blessed. My five children live close enough that I see them often. One of my grandchildren I see at least once a week the others not quite as often, but still much more than many other people I know. They all include my husband and I n many of the things they do. We go to our grandkids Christmas concerts...swim meets, band concerts...we go on picnics and hikes. I would rather spend time with them than try to find a place for "stuff".
@Morleyhunt I'm glad that it's like that for you. Though I don't have grandchildren I know I can count on my son and daughter for anything - we are very close.
@ms1864 (8098)
• Bangalore, India
that is a really sweet article. I too ask my mom what she would like...and I tell her even if she says nothing ....i will be getting her something...so she might as well give me options.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
I understand what you are saying, but as a mother....more stuff isn't really needed. Your time and your presence means so much more than your money and your presents.
@ridingbet (31445)
ditto. no material things but just love.
Very nice.
well, 't least yers ask :) mine ne'er 've. i agree though - this quote 'tis spot'n. sadly the youngest'n family aint comin' this year 's planned, so i don't e'en get to cabbage 'nto some snuggle time with the wee one :( big hugs!!
@Morleyhunt (14146)
I'm so sorry your family won't be with you. sometimes I forget how blessed I am.
@Morleyhunt aw, thanks, hon. momma, the aunt, eldest son'll be there. jest missin' the daughter 'n family, youngest 'n family. one can't 've 't all, eh?
@Morleyhunt (14146)
@crazyhorseladycx we can dream.
That is so sweet. And I can totally relate. Although I don't have everything there is nothing that I want. For me a gift is something that comes to me from someone who loves me and feels that I would enjoy what they give to me. And over the years I have to say that those gifts that you remember are the ones that came from the heart and often had little monetary value, or were high in value and came during a year when times were a little tight.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
@Juliaacv those things become part of our traditions. We have a Christmas Nail. It is always the first thing hung on our tree. If grandkids are helping they reAd the card with the purpose of the nail and then help me to hang it in the tree.
Perfect!
@Morleyhunt (14146)
It says it so well.
@Morleyhunt It sure does!
Awe, that is so moving.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
I thought it said it so much better than I could.
@Platespinner (15489)
I like that. I may need to copy it and post in on my fridge as my progeny begin to leave the nest.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
That's my plan....it's already on the fridge.
This is a keeper to read again and again. For all parents, this is the "what we want for Christmas."
@Morleyhunt (14146)
I felt I had to share it. I wanted to give credit to the original author. This will be saved and passed along.
@dragon54u (31040)
That is just how I feel! Things can never replace interacting with your children and their children. I would much rather have my sons here than just look at their photos!
@Morleyhunt (14146)
I am blessed. My children all love no more than an hour away. I see all 8 of my grandchildren regularly even the 17 year old boy is not embarrassed to give grandma a hug.
@CRK109 (14454)
That's so beautiful. My mother used to always say something very similar!
@Madshadi (2709)
• Brussels, Belgium
A true gift is to have tour family and friends around. You cant put a price on that
@simone10 (22294)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Amen to that! That is exactly how I feel. With my kids not close by, it really makes me wish that we all lived close together again.