Jest when ya wonder where autumns hidin', WHAM!

crazyhorseladycx all rights reserved
Sure, we'd toyed with cold fronts that'd moved through these parts o'er the past couple'f months, jest nothin' serious. The storm that hit here'n the wee Saturday mornin' hours though 'twas a whole diff'rent monkey! 't 10pm Friday eve, the temperature sat 't 58 degrees (f). The hubs refused to believe that ol' Jack Frost 'd be soon nippin', quite ferociously I might add. Winds picked'p, one could here the mischief such made 's pots 'n chairs got slung 'round my lil sanctuary. Sure 'nough, I awakened Saturday morn to a most mysterious sight - snow! Not big snowflakes, jest wee lil creatures, billions 'f 'em. Comin' down so fast'n furious 'n fueled by 45mph winds one couldn't see more'n 1/4 mile down the road. The thermometer left a note: Please send word when this nonsense 'tis o'er. By noon t'was down to 12 degrees (f) with a windchill 'f -14. Noperz, the critters were none too impressed. The birds were'n a tizzy. Feeders were filled, winds knocked 't out quicker'n I could make't back to the house. By the time such t'was said'n done, 2" 'f the schtuff 'd fallen (best guess coz 't blew 'n drifted). The temp jest kept plummetin' through the night. Sunshine graced the plains today, but t'was still bitterly cold. When I went out 't crack 'f dawn 30, I found that the hubs'd left the frost proof hydrant by my lil shed'n. If'n I'd done such he'd prolly buried me out'n the back somewhere 'n jest tell folks I ran off. But, since he did this (did make a most interestin' picture though, eh?) 'long with bustin' 3 100' hoses, 'twas alright. Jest ask him, he'll attest to such. 'sides, he got to go 'nto town 'n purchase 3 new hoses. Oh, I got to haul water to the horses, so's least I got my exercise...
BBBRrrrrr, this looks really really cold. Take care going out with the ice, pay attention not to fall.
sadly such t'was jest from the hubs negligence. the snow t'weren't that bad, no icicles from the house - jest where the line busted he'd left'n...
@crazyhorseladycx Here is very warm today, an unusual temperature for the season.
@LadyDuck t'was 61 degrees (f) here yesterday, then an ice storm blew through durin' the wee hours 'n we only got to 39 degrees (f) today. 'pposed to be back'n the upper 50's tomorrow i believe?
so that's what all that created? It's...quite pretty at least, lol!
yes ma'am, jest takes one person to not tend to schtuff 'n one gets great photo ops...
@valmnz (12531)
• New Zealand
What an amazing picture. Loved your telling of this tale.
thanks, nice to show off the hubs 'handi-work' from time to time, lol. glad ya enjoyed 't :)
Cold, but so pretty!
yes ma'am to both :) then 'gain, i'm most certain that such more'n likely ruined the doors to my pottin' shed. the ones he left 'raw' so they'd jest weather o'er the years.
Oh lordy, that's not good ..... pleeze don't send it southward, we don't need that stuff here
no ma'am, not good 'n a waste 'f funds, to boot. i hope such didn't slide down to yer neck'f the woods, but 't didn't look to be headed that way.
Well, ya know how it is round these parts @crazyhorseladycx the winds hits a mountain then changes directions taken clouds etc with em then they hit another mountain n pick up more clouds n changes direction again .... as you know this is a continuin phenomenon of these here parts .... I'm bettin it hit Alamagordo or Rosewell.
@rebelann aint sure where that last storm went? the current'un seems to be tryin' to sneak 'cross the high plains 'f texas 'n 'p to colorado. did'ja get some 'f the rain down yer way? i hear they got quite a bit down'n cruces.
Is that photo from the latest storm? It is incredible. I'm sorry you're hauling water. That's too bad. :(
yes'n no, ms. judy? the storm t'was bitter cold with snow. the ice 'tis from the hubs neglect :( 'tis taken me a few days to recover from the water haulin', but i knew he'd not do't. 'nstead he'd let the horses go without, which would'a made 'em ill/possibly die.
@crazyhorseladycx I can understand that the horses would have to have water. And they drink a huge amount if you have to carry it for them.
@JudyEv yes ma'am, horses 'n cattle seem to drink e'en more durin' the colder weather, but such helps to keep 'em healthy. i filled 'p 5 gallon jugs halfway (i can't lift 'em full any longer), loaded 'em 'nto my large wheelbarrow, took 'em out, divvied that out 'n repeated 'til they'd sufficient 'mounts 'f water - 'bout 8 trips total. he knows that i'd crawl/'r slither to tend to 'em if'n need be :(
@simone10 (22294)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Oh my goodness, what a sight but it really does make for good picture. We got it pretty bad here too but only had snow flurries, nothing stuck. Our roads were a bit icy from the rain that froze overnight. Our temps weren't quite as bad as it only got down to 13 degrees with 0 wind chill. It just makes me cold seeing your picture.
the snow t'weren't the bad part nor does't 've much to do with the pic here. t'was the hubs negligence. he didn't fill all the water troughs the eve prior when t'was warm, nor did he drain the hoses to ensure they didn't freeze. then, he left the hose attached to the frost-proof, turned 't on, hopin' the warmer water from under the ground'd melt the ice 'nside the hoses. mind'ja, there's nearly 500' 'f hose to get to all the horses. so, he left't o'ernight, durin' which the hose attached to the frost-proof burst, sendin' cascades 'f water all o'er my lil pottin' shed 'n surroundin' area. our actual temp that night t'was -3, with the windchill t'was -21.
@simone10 (22294)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@crazyhorseladycx I agree with what you wrote that if it had been you, you never would have heard the end of it. I bet he thinks it's no big deal at all. I'm sure it made it really difficult for you to have to carry water to the horses. I never knew it got that cold where you live. I just couldn't stand temps with a minus in front of it. That is just too cold for me. I wish I would move somewhere warm for the winter.
@simone10 he asked me earlier this eve if'n i'd ordered my Christmas present from him yet. i jest smiled sweetly 'n told him he spent those funds'n water hoses :) yepperz, he jest looked all innocent, professin' t'weren't his fault the ol'un's froze 'n then burst...sigh, there's times i wonder how i made 't this long with him?? oh yeah, i could get out'n tend schtuff myself! i spoke with the daughter 'bout 2pm today. she said t'was 49 degrees there'n las vegas, been rainin' fer 2 days, snowed 'p'n the mountains :) i aint real sure where there's a 'safe' place to be warm these days, lol.
@bunnybon7 (30549)
• Holiday, Florida
wow what a photo. makes me not miss Ohio so much after all right now. lol. i suddenly remember those days of ice cycles and when we was kids we would break them off and lick them . silly not knowing the dangers of dirt. haha. poor lady having to haul that water.
if'n ya recall, we were all purty healthy eatin'/drinkin' all that dirt versus young'uns these days who've been sterilized/pasturized 'n thus've weakened immune systems. to the point many can't e'en shake off a common cold :( took me a few days to recover from haulin' the water, but the hubs'd no intent to do such. he's fully aware that with no water the horses could colic, but seems to live'n a dream world... big hugs right back at'cha, hon.
@bunnybon7 (30549)
• Holiday, Florida
@crazyhorseladycx true but it seems we have different kinds of germs these days. i may be wrong. i do remember that i worked at trying to keep germs from my kids but had a cousin that left her house dirty, kids run around in snow bare footed, etc. yet all both our kids thrived it seemed. maybe my dad had it right. he used to say" you caught cold from someone or a certain germ and not from being under dressed or getting cold". who knows what causes all of it. ?
@bunnybon7 sadly the o'eruse 'f antibiotics 's caused those germs to mutate. the young'uns who've been most sheltered from birth seem to get hit the hardest :(
@Drosophila (16897)
thats some craziness
yes ma'am. jest shows ya what someones neglect combined with mother nature can produce.
@Drosophila (16897)
@crazyhorseladycx and there was I thinking there's no snow in your part of the world
@Drosophila we get some doozies from time to time. used to snow more oft, back when i first moved to these parts. sometimes we don't get loads 'f snow, but with the winds wind'p with 10' 'r better snowdrifts, 'n then barren ground.
@PainsOnSlate (18314)
Wow that is some big ice!!! We see that every few years, when the weather is crazy and doesn't know what its doing. When I was a kid I walked to the barn twice a day with my dog to care for my horse. One day when I got to the barn the dog was on the roof. What the.... I had to figure how how he got there and found the back of the barn was drifted all the way up the back and over it...The dog loved it, I was too big and sunk into the snow.... Yup, hoses don't freeze well. Ours are put in the garage in November and won't see sunlight until its spring...
the hubs's always refused to fix the waterline that goes out to the horses water tanks, so's the need fer lots 'f water hoses to reach 'em all. sadly i can't jest turn 'em out'n pasture so's they can all share a tank - there's no grasses left 'n they'd jest leave the ground barren'n hard-packed. i'm gigglin' o'er that pup 'f yers. i recall back when i t'was'n alaska i lived'n an apartment (shocked?? i know...) 'n the 3rd floor. durin' the winter we'd oft climb out my window'n 'p to the roof courtesy 'f snowbanks firmly packed 'gainst the buildin'. used to haul tons 'f quilts 'n sit fer hours watchin' the northern lights :)
@crazyhorseladycx That must have been gorgeous!
@PainsOnSlate 'ndeed! i wish i'd still the many photo's i'd snapped 'f such, 'long with all the other natural beauties. sadly i've not.
@epiffanie (8148)
wow! awesome photo of melting snow ..
i fear 'tis not'f the snow, ms. bess, but 'f the beautiful creation that resulted'n the hubs neglect.
@epiffanie (8148)
@crazyhorseladycx hahah! yes you're right!
I'm just in awe at those icicle thingie formations! It was rather warm here for a long while, but then it started getting cold for us too . . . but of course Southern CA cold is a slap on the wrist kinda cold compared to other places. We are finally getting some decent rain for once . . . but also some freezin' wind to go with it . . . this is what our winters were a long time ago and I guess I kinda forgot how it felt! I can't imagine hoses busting like that. . . but I hear that happens with plumbing too?
t'was sure a sight to see 'n 'fter my blood pressure rose a bit, i'd the need to fetch the camera, lol. the weather seems'n some places tryin' to revert? the other day t'was 49 degrees (f) o'er'n las vegas, nevada when i spoke with the daughter 't 'bout 3pm. they'd been gettin' rains fer 2 days 'n the mountains much needed snow. perhaps thingies're lookin''p 't least fer a few places? yes ma'am, frozen/burst pipes'll do the same. fortunately i'd none that burst 'n only 2 that froze here'n the house. sigh...
@crazyhorseladycx The weather is certainly strange. We had the rains - and then it all came to a halt and actually became sunny warm again. Today we are back to gray with rain again (you'd never know it were coming yesterday). What's going on? I'm glad none of your pipes burst - geez, I wouldn't even know what to do with frozen pipes. Hope you had a lovely Christmas!!
@sueznewz2 (8587)
• Alicante, Spain
That's an awesome photo...I love it...but....i'm sorry hubby's negligence meant all that extra work for you....
see what'cha missed? yes ma'am, made fer a purty pic 'n lots 'f work. took a bit to recover somewhat from 't, jest shows how lazy'n outta shape i've gotten ;) big hugs 'n love!
@sueznewz2 (8587)
• Alicante, Spain
@crazyhorseladycx. I'm glad you've recovered
Now that's a beautiful picture. I would have loved to seen all those beautiful snowflakes by you. One way to get your exercise.
oh, the snowflakes were wee, jest billions 'f 'em. the photo 'tis courtesy 'f the hubs. the frost-proof 'tis 'bout 3' from my pottin' shed 'n when the hose burst, water shot way o'er the roof line 'n froze to what'cha see here.
@crazyhorseladycx The results of that little mishap make a great picture.
@katsmeow1213 (28695)
Brr! That's about our weather here too... just too darn cold!
yes ma'am, cold 'n unkind. winter 'tis not my favorite season fer that reason.
@crazyhorseladycx Nope! I like warmer months.. not really the hot months, but warmer ones
Oh, I am so glad he did it and you did not!!! Ya gotta love it when that happens!!!
that fella lives'n denial. i'm glad he did't, too. i used to water horses/cattle 'n then unattach/drain o'er 500' 'f hose, then hang such o'er the side 'f the stock trailer to prevent 'em from freezin' solid.
That's a really impressive picture, but I can't understand why you've not yet needed bail money regarding that hubs of yours! Sheesh!. Hauling water in those conditions would be difficult for anyone, but in your state of health it must be positively dangerous. Take care
yes ma'am, one 'f many (yepperz, i've a collection 'f 'em). i've yet to figure yer query out myself? prolly 've maintained due to the fact i lack those kinda funds, lol. such took 'ts toll'n me fer certain. he jest shrugged his shoulders like t'weren't his fault that winter caught him by surprise.... i've 'bout recovered from the water haulin', thanks fer yer kind thoughts, ms. @jaboUK. big hugs 'n love comin' back at'cha from 'cross the pond!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Dang, that's a cool picture! Can you take a picture or two of the horses with their Winter coats? I wonder if they're thicker than here in balmy California. We whine when it hits 29 F at night.
cool, yet destructive pic. i've jest now recovered from haulin' water to 'em, but'll try to get out'n take ya a few pics. i'm certain their coats're thicker, but then 'gain 29 f 'tis quite chilly'n yer parts.
@Platespinner (15580)
Sorry about the hoses and you needing to haul water the hard way! Your photo is spectacular!
thanks, hon. i'm none too happy 'bout the 'xpense 'f him buyin' more hoses due to his negligence. took me a few days to recover from haulin' water, but the horses cannot do without such. did make a good pic, i've quite a few from diff'rent angles :)
@CoralLevang (30404)
That looks cooooooollllllldddddd!
yes ma'am, stayed that way all day 's the temps didn't rebound 'til the day 'fter.