That is a good question. Why do we want to copy America?

@Jackalyn (6684)
Oxford, England
I was just trying to sort my notifications. I found a discussion I had not read about people copying America. In a way it puzzles me. I loved my visit but while 50's diners and guitars are fun in Nashville I hated they still paddle their kids and stayed with a friend in a kind of elaborate hill billy shack. I disliked I had to ride and not walk everywhere and was shocked she could not afford follow up care after a hysterectomy. In New York it was fun, but I would hate to love high up and tipping people just seemed complicated. Then there is the justice system that sentences kids to life and in some cases executes people. And the missing people and the guns. Here in the UK it is not perfect. I do however,get free health care. Justice is not perfect, but kids do get a second chance . I rarely see a cop with a gun and you can walk places. So my question is, what is good about America and why are we copying it? This is not an anti American post. I did like the U.S just interested to know why we copy it.
I don't think any other country should copy the US and vice versa. What makes the world great and interesting are the unique identities of each country. Ironically, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are actually heavily influenced by England who is the mother country of them.
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
I suppose in a way they would br a bit.
This is a question that I ask to myself every day, especially when I see family restaurants replaced by McDonald's. We have good healthy food, why should we eat garbage and drink unhealthy soda?
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
We just got a fast food health place in Oxford. I think the concept is American. Mcdonalds drives me nuts.
@Jackalyn It drives me nuts too, even the smell coming out feels "greasy" it makes me sick.
@geopiscean (1780)
• Kochi, India
It is always better to be yourself rather than becoming a copycat of anyone..
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
Yes but we are talking here of nations copying nations. I am hoping some Americans will point to some of the reasons.
It would be nice to copy the good things ... more property for your money for a start!
Well said, we are only good to copy the garbage, never the good.
The States is just like what the Ancient Rome used to be; sadly to say, but one day it'll fall.
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
I wonder. Do not forget the States is huge and has many States all of which are like a nation in themselves.
this country's a greedy mess.i don't know why anybody'd want to emulate it. there is some good in people and things still,but the media buries it in crap on a daily basis.
@Inlemay (16730)
• South Africa
I have often wondered by people need to WESTERNIZE everything - I like the European style of living as well and If I could move there - i would. There are some places in SA that are a little European still and some that have adopted the BIG AMERICAN THEME - not for me
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
I guess the dollar is useful though. At least it is in Zimbabwe. I have only ever sat in Johannesburg airport. When I went to Zimbabwe the dollar was important as Zim money is practically worthless. Is it we copy places because of economic power because their money provided for more? I liked a lot of things about the African way of life.
@Inlemay (16730)
• South Africa
@Jackalyn we dont even think outside our currency - Earn Rands - spend rands as for the Zimbabwe issue - they seem to be stable at the moment with the US dollar helping them out.
@Jackalyn (6684)
• Oxford, England
@Inlemay Which must make American goods seem good for them.