Only 4 more days to shop

Prissy, left, and her son Stanley. I'm holding them. I can't remember who took this shot.
El Paso, Texas
I don't know about you, but I don't shop for presents this time of year, not much is really worth buying right now. Retailers have marked up all their merchandize to make up for the loss they suffered in spring or summer and the worst day to shop is Black Friday, honestly they need to rename that day, we're not that stupid anymore. If I want to give something special I like to shop between January 21st through the summer and often I'll put things on layaway. It seems the market rises as soon as school starts. Do you ever put the special stuff on layaway in the spring or summer? Did the price you paid for it rise after school started? Hey, I found that old shot I wanted to share, it's the only photo of me you'll ever see, I'm holding Prissy on the left and her son Stanley back in 1975 or so. Prissy was my first kitty and Stanley was my second. They were awesome kitties and always came when I whistled for them.
I wondered if that was you and it was "you"! Oh those kitty eyes!! I've actually never put anything on layaway . . . my mom never did it, so I had no clue about it until my adult life . I tend to buy things on the spot, but as I am a bargain hunter I aim for the the best price possible. I used to be better about buying throughout the year, but these days I seem to be 50/50 . . . the rest I do tend to shop around now . The kids and I went shopping yesterday and it actually wasn't so bad. We found parking right away and zipped through any lines. I was discussing with Hubby and he thinks maybe because more people are online shopping now . . . and I know a lot of people say you get better deals online too!
I know, ain't I purrrdy I don't know about good deals online with some things like clothing, I've had a little bad luck with that. As for electronics then yeah, you can get good deals. The way I get the good deals is using a ccard that give a % back plus a site that gives me points per dollar spent like swagbucks or ebate. Still, you really have to know what the local stores are offering to make that a good bargain, I use the idea that if I have to drive 25 miles to get to a store and the item I want is either the same price or a little higher than maybe the trip I'd save myself is worth it. I think it all depends really. Do you have to go very far to get to a store?
@rebelann Yes, you is purdy ! I love the pattern on what you're wearing too! I am still pretty much a "store" shopper . . . I rarely buy online - can't get used to it. The only time I really shop online is to redeem what I've earned on other sites . . . like those Amazon gift cards . . . and like you said to get something back from SB (I still gotta check out ebate!). Oh gosh, I am so spoiled living where I do . . . we have stores and malls galore so I really don't have to go far . . . and if I have to get to the same store but at another location, it's usually not terribly far either (like I could choose from 3 Walmarts, at least 5 Targets). I know I've read about some folks on myLot who have to go miles to even get to one store.
You braggin @much2say ?? Yeah, I drive 8 miles to get to Albersons, 15 miles to get to walmart or sams, 18 miles to a target and a mall, 25 miles to get to Costco and if I go to Las Cruces, which is my preference I travel no less then 40 miles but they have all those things except Costco within a few miles of each other plus they have Natural Grocers where I can get organic foods. I love going to Las Cruces.
We usually shop after the holiday of Dec 25th and most get their gifts right around the 6th or 7th of January . . .
That's smart. I usually take a look at things I need around that time especially clothes.
@rebelann smart maybe but actually so much cheaper, less people, no frills, no gimmicks and no pushing customers to buy what they do NOT need
That depends on how far I have to travel @enlightenedpsych2 not much is close enough to home to make shopping in stores cheaper than online.
@sallypup (19413)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I love the photo. I'm more of a thrift store junkie as far as shopping goes. I'm liable to lose something if I buy it too far ahead.
Thank you, glad you like my shot. I don't do thrift stores, but thats because I generally shop for food. As for the idea about buying so far ahead of time, well, I no longer have anyone to buy for so I'm off the hook.
@sallypup (19413)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@rebelann I've slowed way down on thrift shops cause if I don't I will need to build a new room on my house for the 'stuff'.
I think I used to be you @sallypup only not with thrift stores, got a nasty "slap" to my face when I realized I'd bought too much junk I didn't know what to do with. I'm still donating some of that stuff to this day. I don't think I'll ever do that to myself again
You are a tease not to show us your face! What's 'layaway?
Yeah, I know. Layaway means putting an item on hold and paying for it over time, usually 6 months.
@rebelann Oh right - so you can't take it home until you've finished paying for it?
Exactly @jaboUK and the worst part is that some stores penalize you if you can't pay up within the 6 months. Lucky for me I don't do that very often.
• New Delhi, India
I shop when I find something good and obviously I can afford it.
Yes, that makes sense.
• New Delhi, India
@rebelann and a practical approach for me
Oh yes, very practical @amitkokiladitya
Love the kitties and what little I can see of you. Lol! I shop any time of year. If I like something, I buy it. Sale items, to me, are just leftover garbage.
I'm glad you like my furbabies, I still miss them terribly as I do all those who've passed on. I think it depends on the item on sale, if it's clothes and your a fashionista then sales wouldn't be in your line up but I've found that some electronics on sale are worth the buy.
@rebelann Just as long as you're a wise and smart shopper, that's all that really matters.
If only @DianneN
@silvermist (15385)
That is a lovely photo of the kitties and--you,though I can't see your face.
Thank you. I never post shots of myself, I'd rather leave that a mystery.
@silvermist (15385)
@rebelann You are welcome.
@Shellyann36 (8046)
Cats that come when you whistle. That is certainly unique. I did quite a bit of late shopping at Walmart and got some great clearance deals on clothes for the boys and Keith. The twins got winter coats and they only cost $10 each. Listing price was anywhere from $25 to $35 depending on sizes. Keith Jr. got some clothes and Keith Sr. got jammies, nice robe and some shirts as well.
That's a nice price for the coats. Do you ever check Kmart.com? I've seen some really good prices on their site.
@rebelann I don;t get out much to shop, but I bought my Christmas gifts at the beginning of November! I don't have that many people that I have to buy presents.
Likewise here, I don't have family anymore and my best buddy lives with her family in NE so I just send her plants or something which she tells her hubby it was intended for him too.
They were cute kitties, I also do not like too much to show photos of me. I never shop before the holidays, I wait until the beginning of January or during the summer sales.
Thank you, they were sweet kitties.
i had to get a new water heater.that's what the family's getting for christmas..period lol
They outta be grateful they don't have to take cold showers this season, right?
The only thing that I will be buying from now on is the last persishable food.
That makes sense. Looks like you can pretty much take it easy these next couple days.
An adorable photo of Prissy and Stanley!!! I have never put things on layawy, but I do buy gifts to have for Christmas when I see a good deal throughout the year.
Thank you, they were sweeties. I used to do the layaways way back when but anymore I don't even bother, I've sent a plant to my friend in NE and that's really the only gift I'm giving.