Tomorrow is the big night

I cropped out a portion of one of my photos of mom's Christmas tree.
El Paso, Texas
Yepper, here in the USA it will be the longest night of the year, elsewhere it will be the shortest. By the end of the month I will put out some of the morning glory seeds and cover them with cedar or pine shavings, I hope that will make them want to sprout and bloom in spring, if it is not too hot by then. So what will you be doing for the solstice? Something interesting I hope. I really miss mom's beautiful trees, she always used candles and never lit them until Christmas eve. Sadly that tradition died too.
Your mom's tree looks like one in a fairy tale, but you know how dangerous that can be. I'm looking forward to more daylight.
Thank you, but if you stop and think about it a flame fire is easier to put out than an electrical fire. Personally I don't have the talent my mom or grandmoms had so I won't be trying to put candles on a tree.
@rebelann Thank goodness I haven't had either!
I think it's funny that most fires start because of faulty electric circuitry @DianneN
also in the Philippines :)
The Northern Hemisphere, which includes the Philippines, will experience on Wednesday, December 21, its longest night and shortest day this year.
The solstices are a big deal in many cultures.
@rebelann yea, i think it will be a first for the country you can put up your own beautiful trees, can you?
@rebelann oh i see. we don't have real trees back home.. it's just here in the UK that every houses has the choice to get the real trees or the artificial one
Not a big deal - I prefer the shortest night LOL
The only reason I think it's a big deal is because after tomorrow the days get longer again, thank goodness.
@rebelann i hate winter and everything it represents.....
Well I can understand that @AbbyGreenhill but in for me it's ok as long as it doesn't get as cold as it does on the north or northeast coast.
I did not know this will be the longest night of the year, so thank you for alerting me. It is too cold to do much here, so inside we will be.
Yep, I'll be inside too even though it's not nearly as cold here.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
We really won't be doing anything different than we normally do. It's been so cold here that I don't even want to go outside.
I haven't gone out much either mostly cuz I caught a damn cold. My sinuses have that stupid tickle only a runny nose can give ya ...... I'm getting better though so soon I'll be back to the old grindstone outside. The blasted winds tore up my project out there, probably a good thing it happened now instead of later cuz I'll restart in a different way.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@rebelann I'm sorry to hear that have a cold but glad to hear that you are getting better. Colds can really get you down. What kind of project were you working on outside?
I am trying to create shade so I can grow some vines that don't tolerate the heat we get here @simone10 I guess it's a good thing the winds blew it apart now instead of later. Eventually I'll get it figured out, just takes time is all ..... I'm lucky the wind didn't blow the really heavy pallet down, that was a beach to handle.
I live in the southern hemisphere so we are experiencing the shortest night.
How lucky you are, I prefer long days rather than short ones but it's a relief that our days will be getting longer here. It must be beautiful where you are.
@rebelann I´d like to live in a place where thereos no winter at this time of my life.
But if there was a place like that it would have to be rather warm most of the time and that always means insects @marguicha sometimes winter has the benefit of killing those biting insects.
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
I would love to have real candles on my tree, we never had that because my mom was afraid of fire...actually I am too so even if I could I wouldn't .
To fear fire is a good thing, it keeps you safe. But knowing how to decorate a tree with candles is also a good way to learn to respect fire. Kinda like building a camp fire, you can't just do that any old way you want right?
@rebelann I agree.
@Shellyann36 (9885)
I hope your morning glory seeds give you plenty of flowers!
Thank you, I hope so too.
• Midland, Michigan
Nice picture you have here. I also never thought about it being the longest night of the year on that date in December, but it really makes sense. If it's the shortest day, it would have to be the longest night since each day has the same amount of hours. Other than the one second longer day we had recently according to Anna's post.
Thank you, I'm glad you like it.
@quantum2020 (9261)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I will be doing the regular activities. I lived in a rural area for some years, where I could see the sun displacing on the horizopn each day and by the time of the winter solstice, I could notice the time change in the duration of the day. It´s an interesting phenomenon of nature
Yes it certainly is.
@silvermist (20100)
@rebelann Yes,Dec 21 will have the longest night of the year.You can always at least try to put up beautiful trees like your Mom.
I never developed the talent she had for placing candles in such a way as to prevent starting a fire.