Bummed but Not Depressed

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I turned on the news this morning. I don't normally do that. I wanted to verify the weather, and that is what bummed me out. Today we are getting a light coating of snow, less than an inch. However, the temps are on the rise and on Christmas Day the biggest travesty is going to take place for this part of the country at this time of year. We're going to hit the mid 40's and it's going to RAIN not SNOW. I can only hope it doesn't melt all the snow on Christmas Day and there is still some left when all is said and done. Of course that all means that in the mean time there is also going to be a good deal of icing taking place as temps go down at night and freeze all the melted snow taking place. For right now I'm on my way out the door. It's time and past time for me to do laundry. I'm wearing the last of my clean clothes. I'll be picking up my son's laundry as well. I can only hope he was able to get some done last week as I wasn't able to do laundry at all last week. I will return early afternoon and get at my notifications and my new story that is coming along nicely. I haven't finished the first chapter yet, but I will today and I will know the conflict and where it's coming from by then. My goal is also to finish the Christmas Alphabet. So a lot to do today and I am not going to let this WARM weather get me down. It's also a good day to finish decorating the apartment for Christmas. How is your day going? Are you ready for Christmas? What are your weather prospects for the next few days and Christmas Day? Thanks for reading.
@Bluedoll (17089)
Be careful if it freezes. The warmer weather will be welcomed by many but I know what you mean a wet snow feels a little better than rain or worse freezing rain.
@Bluedoll Yes it is worse. My daughter is traveling on Sunday and I will be praying for her travel to and from. Icy roads are nothing to tangle with. I'm not traveling and my sons, who live here are coming to me, so I'm happy about that.
@Bluedoll (17089)
We need to always watching ahead. Once for me the road was good and then we tend to drive faster, the person behind us too and all of a sudden the road became a skate rink. brrrrr.
@Bluedoll Yes, that black ice will get you every time. Easy to happen when the temps soar upward and then freeze at night.
Not doing much for Christmas, but ready.
It's good you're ready. I'm 99% ready.
@TheSojourner (17493)
It's supposed to be partly sunny here on Christmas Day and then the following day we're supposed to get mixed snow and rain. I am putting together the few Christmas packages that I need to put together. I will be doing some baking probably tomorrow. And today I'm taking some things I've collected the that need to be donated to down to the thrift stores, and I'm donating a microwave to the veterans Center on the campus.
@just4him I have much to do, but not sure just what I want to do where holiday stuff is concerned. If I feel like it, I may try to make things a bit more festive her. I can leave it up all year, right? LOL
@CoralLevang Yes you can and I probably will once I get it all up.
@just4him *laughs* Change ribbons for different colors for yearly holidays.
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
A bit warmer than yesterday. Don't you hate that when you are running out of clothes. I am never ready for Christmas. Good luck on your story.
Thank you. The story is coming along. Yes, I do hate running out of clothes. Before my move I had my own washer and dryer so it wasn't a problem. Now it's the laundromat for me. The washer and dryer are on the second floor and my knees don't do stairs well.
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
@just4him There is an advantage to the laundry mat, you can do more than one load at a time if you go during a slack hour.
@His_chariot Their biggest washers will do all of it in one load without a problem, and I can use their large dryer for all of it too.
@alberello75 (15583)
• Genova, Italy
Well, I wish that, you to finish the alphabet, Then I, letter after letter, at least  I'll read.
I'll be finishing it tonight. The remaining letters don't have many Christmas words for them.
@alberello75 (15583)
• Genova, Italy
@just4him Well, for me, it has little importance, however, I'll find a way to comment positively.
@alberello75 Thank you.
we are going to have good weather for the weekend
I'm glad to hear it.
Hope you get snow on Christmas day. I have already done most of what I plan to do fr Christmas.
I'm glad you're almost ready for Christmas. Thanks, but unless the weather changes, it doesn't look like snow.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's been cool out here in CA, but not too bad.
I bet our temps are similar. We've been a bit warm - 40's and the snow is melting. However, we're supposed to get more snow on New Year's Eve, so we should have colder temps soon.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@just4him It was warm enough here (around 55 F, I think) that I cycled around in short yesterday. I could tell it was in the 30s last night when I came home from a friend's house. Cold for the Bay Area, but not for Wisconsin! The thought of snow on New Years Eve makes me smile.
@TheHorse It makes me smile too as our snow is melting and there is a lot of grass showing once again. I can only hope we get a large snowfall to make up for all we've lost with this warm weather. We won't see 50's again until spring. I'm glad you had fun cycling in your shorts.
That travesty, giggled at that word cause it sounds so intense evoking a deep emotional response, is going to happen here too . . .
I'm so sorry. I hope it won't be as bad as they are predicting.
@just4him not bad just soggy
@enlightenedpsych2 We're getting heavy wet snow right now. It's supposed to change over to rain, but I don't see that happening. Not since it's starting to get dark and that means lowering temps. From what I saw on the weather site, rain isn't supposed to happen again until late on Christmas, so it looks like it will be white here.
You did finish the Christmas Alphabet. Rain and not snow huh? That means a nasty icy mess. Sorry to hear that. I'm ready for CHristmas luckily because it is nearly here. Now to contend with my grandson being home for the next two weeks. That should be interesting
Yes, and that's what I'm worried about with my daughter driving to Milwaukee on Christmas morning. I haven't seen any posts about his behavior so I hope it will be a good two weeks for you.
@just4him .....Hope she takes it slow and easy. I have written many posts in the past about my grandson and his behavior.
@celticeagle Yes you have, but I haven't seen any lately so he must be doing well.
I woke up ok, then started seeing visual aura's, which is a good sign a migraine is coming. So I took something, ate something that helps, and have been taking it easy. I think driving 30 min into town to take J to lunch is out, migraines and driving don't mix. A bit sad, but it is what it is.
I hope it's gone by now, though from the past your migraines last a couple days. I hope this one doesn't.
@just4him I managed to keep it from every getting set in place, so I'm just dealing with nasty headaches now
@Jessicalynnt That's a plus at least. Now if you could just get rid of those.
@simone10 (21696)
• Louisville, Kentucky
We are going to have warm weather for Christmas as well. It is expected to be in the 60's. Monday it will be in the 70's then drop back down to the 40's. Is this weather crazy or what?
Yes it is. I've never seen 60's or 70's at Christmas in this part of the country.
@simone10 (21696)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@just4him We did end up having 60's on Christmas day and the day after. This morning, the temps are slowly dropping and it's supposed to be in the 30s tonight. I just wish the weather would decide whether it wants to be warm or cold and just stay that way. Our bodies can't adjust to the cold if it keeps getting warm then cold again.
@simone10 Being warm and cold like that is also an incubator for germs. There are more people sick in winter when the temps are always fluctuating. When the temps go down below freezing for a minimum of 14 days, it kills all germs and people are able to be healthy then.
I try not to let the weather get me down. My only worries are when the roads get bad. Last year it was 70 degrees on Christmas day. I had the living room door open and the kitchen window too. No, I am not ready for Christmas. I am a classic procrastinator. I am also so tired at the end of my work day that I can barely keep my eyes open. Got my second wind last night and got a lot done. Hoping to finish up that task tonight and get some baking done. Now if only I can keep the hubby out of the baked goods I'll have it made.
It sounds like that will be your biggest problem in the kitchen. I hope you can keep him out as well. You must be somewhere south for those kinds of temps.
@just4him as a matter of fact, we live in Vermont. The weather was crazy last year. No snow and the temperature was indeed 70 on Christmas day.
@ElusiveButterfly Wow! That's just crazy for this time of year.
i'm ready. 'tis balmy here today, but to change this eve 'n 've an ice storm briefly. fer 'the day' 'tis to be'n the low to mid 50's.
No snow for you. Too warm. I'm glad you're ready for Christmas. I hope that ice storm doesn't do any damage.
@just4him yes ma'am, too warm fer snow. did get awakened by ice peltin' the house 'bout 4 this morn. very light sprinkles off/on throughout the day (if'n ya didn't happen to be outdoors 'r look out the window, ya'd missed 'em, 'twas so light) 'n then jest 'bout'n hour 'go 't rained fer a bit. we'll take moisture any ol' way it'll come, the lands're so parched.
@crazyhorseladycx I saw the weather on the weather site and it looks like moisture won't be a problem soon. It looks like California is getting clobbered and they need it and it will move east.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Christmas Eve we are supposed to be warm and rainy. Christmas Day is forecast to be in the 60s with some sun. No chance of a White Christmas around here.
You don't normally get one in North Carolina though, do you?
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@just4him In all the years I've lived in NC, which is going on 31 years counting when I was a kid and since I've moved home, I've never seen a White Christmas here. One year we had snow three weeks before Christmas but it all melted, and one year we had snow on December 26th, but that's as close as we've come.
@DWDavis My good friend lives in NC and she told me they had snow a few years ago and it shut everything down and it was less than an inch on the ground.
I would be happy for the warm weather if I were you.
It's officially winter. I've never been a fan of warm weather.
@just4him I've grown to hate the winter as I've gotten older. If I never saw snow again, I'd be totally fine with that
@NJChicaa Now that would probably put me in a permanent state of depression. It just lights up my face and puts a smile on there that can't be wiped away. I hope you don't get very much and is manageable for you.
I hope despite of the snow , you will still have a very Merry Christmas , my dear friend .
I will definitely have a Merry Christmas, snow or no snow has never hindered that. It's just nice to have a White one.
@just4him Yes. Someday i would like to visit where there is a White Christmas .
@SIMPLYD There is nothing like it.
Well, I am looking forward to the 40s, but hopefully, icy conditions will not be a huge factor, but seem likely. I just want all the snow to melt. Never have been a fan of snow.
I don't want to see 40's until we're ready for spring and that is three months away as of today, the technical first day of winter. I worry about the icy conditions on Sunday. My daughter and son-in-law are driving to Milwaukee to be with his mother and family. My grandson is also driving up from Elgin to Milwaukee. So I'm praying everyone will be safe.
@just4him I will pray that they are safe too.
@Corbin5 Thank you. I just don't trust this weather. It was so warm today I didn't need my winter hat or my boots.
I just returned from 30 minutes of sitting in the sun. The first of our snowbird friends arrived yesterday and called to gab and invited us to their home for a barbecue on Sunday evening, and my husband is going to let the refrigerator repairman into my brother's condo to check out his icemaker. It turned out to be a beautiful sunny day here. I'm sorry you won't have a white Christmas.
Despite the warmth today, we still have snow, so I'm hopeful it won't all melt before Sunday.
• Marion, Kansas
Our weather will match yours, I believe. I learned a long time ago that Christmas will come whether I am ready or not.
Yes it will. I'm ready. I'm hoping the snow won't all be gone. We've still got a good amount despite how warm it was today.