Here's A Rather Morbid Fact

Some things are so strange that you wonder how persons thought of such things to do. I thought this was very morbid and how the artists obtained the ingredients wasn’t revealed. But, in the 1800s, artists added ground-up mummy powder to their paints, thinking that whatever kept mummies fresh for thousands of years, might keep their paint colors fresh for longer periods of time. Some artists seemed to be self-absorbed: Rembrandt, for instance, has the record for the most self-portraits by a famous artist, with sixty-two paintings of himself. Van Gogh is second with forty self-portraits. Hmmmm. What about Michelangelo? It was said that he wanted to be buried in Florence, his home city, but the Pope wanted him to be entombed in Vatican City. His nephew stole the body, and in an unmarked crate, shipped it to Florence to be buried there, where it remains even now. Have you ever noticed that the “Mona Lisa” does not have any eyebrows? Since it was the style in Italy in the 1500s, women plucked out their eyebrows. Really???
@Deepizzaguy (11456)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Thank you for sharing the knowledge of some of these artists of the past that are revered as geniuses for their work.
I always enjoy learning and sharing odd facts.
@Deepizzaguy (11456)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@IreneVincent I enjoy your work. Keep it up.
@Deepizzaguy I really enjoy sharing what I've learned.
• Peoria, Arizona
I really liked these facts haha I didn't know that but it is really cool I think about the paints. Thinking embalming would help, that is kind of smart and also silly at the same time haha! Perhaps da Vinci didn't want to mess with eyebrows since they are stubborn or maybe he couldn't remembered what they looked like. Which makes sense haha!
It's hard to tell all the reasons behind some of the worlds greatest paintings. Personally, I don't think any painting is worth millions of dollars. Millionaires think so and owning one of these paintings gives them prestige. However, most really famous paintings, I suppose, are in museums, rather than being privately owned, I would imagine.
• Peoria, Arizona
@IreneVincent It is more of the history behinds some of these paintings and artwork now days it is more of a staple piece. i guess it has always been like that, you have to be open minded to artwork to see the cleverness behind a lot.
@DesirousDreamer Yes, when a person takes a class on art history, there is much to be learned.
@averygirl72 (16670)
I learned a lot from this post. Thanks for the great info. So that's the reason why, I'm also wondering why Mona Lisa does not seem to have eyebrows.
Rembrandt and van Gogh we both Dutch, clearly they were being thrifty and not spending money on models to practice their techniques. . Seriously though, some of the best writers are very introspective and write from the heart about themselves, is a painter who studies himself for self portraits any different?
I enjoy collecting odd facts and sharing them with others. It's one of my favorite things to do and now that I'm retired, I have even more time to read and learn about such things.
• New Delhi, India
Omg...I had not noticed it earlier.. Thanks for sharing.. It was so good to learn this
It's always FUN to learn something new. That's why I read so much and collect these odd facts.
• New Delhi, India
@IreneVincent thus us commendable. I would love to read more
@amitkokiladitya I hope to share more in the coming weeks. And I would really like it if others on mylot would share what they know about different things.
@louievill (18135)
Very interesting, some experts say that the Mona Lisa had jaundice cause the yellowing of the skin and eyes was natural color and not due to the age of the artwork. Rembrandt and Vincent were merely doing what was selfie during their time so it's not that strange
The ANCIENT selfie. That's probably true. AND the fact that they didn't have to pay a model to practice their painting techniques. I guess they looked into a mirror. Who knows?
@louievill (18135)
@IreneVincent yes they do look at the mirror to do a self portrait, if you noticed Rembrandt's self portraits, they are mostly candle lit cause they love to play with lights and shadows which is also a popular art subject. Van Gogh's style is modern, it's more of an impression of himself, his moods and what he feels rather than than the portrait like realism of the latter
@louievill Thanks for adding more information. I appreciate it when someone does that. We can learn from each other.
Yes, I first commented on it to my husband when I saw it at The Louvre. I've read about mummy powder as well. Perhaps that's another reason the burial tombs in Egypt were robbed.
Could be. Where else would a person get mummy powder?
@PainsOnSlate (20089)
That really is morbid. I'm an artist but never heard of that before but looked it up and it truly did happen...very crazy!
I thought you might like to know, being a painter yourself.
At least Rembrandt didn't cut off his ear.
I know. That was another odd fact.
yet our eyebrows at tines nmake aoretty woman even prettier
My eyebrows now are white, so I have to use some eyebrow pencil to color them.
I did not know that about Mona Lisa. Interesting facts here.
I like sharing odd facts. And I have collected quite a few of them over the years.
Wow what a nice fact about Mona Lisa. Why is it so famous?