Coming Home For Christmas

Riga, Latvia
One of the oddest things about my life is that for most of my life I lived in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, New York and on one and the same street Ovington Avenue only once switching from one apartment building to a neighboring one. Anyway between the two apartment buildings there was a medium sized two story house with a lovely little garden. Living in the apartment building from the time of my birth until I was nine I had a fantasy that someday my mom, dad and me could live in that house. I had a great imagination and enjoyed all of those Christmas movies that showed people going home for Christmas but all we had was an apartment. So that house became my dream. The apartment building at number 237 was a very large one with five flights no elevator and a courtyard in the back. From there I couldn’t see the house but always loved walking past it. Especially at Christmas time when snow fell it looked just like a house in one of those movies should look like. Anyway when we moved to the apartment building at 267 which was much smaller and had six flights and an elevator I was delighted to be living right next to that house. From the windows of some of our neighbors that we visited you could look right out upon that house. Then several things happened. We moved when I was nine and when I turned ten my dad died. After that it hurt looking at that house because the dream of living there was no longer possible. Then the house was sold and the company that bought it knocked it down and built a home for senior citizens. I will tell you that the block didn’t look as good anymore with three tall buildings all in a row. That little house made the block so appealing. Anyway as you know all of my memories are greatly associated with music and this is not different. Just remembering that house and the thought of us three living there associates with this wonderful Christmas song. Have you ever fallen in love with a house or a place where you would have liked to live?
Nobody Sings this Song like Ray Charles
Yes, the home that I lived in as a child. My parents sold it in 1975 and my husband bought it for me in 2003. It is precious to me and now my husband too.
• Riga, Latvia
Well congrats to you. You certainly picked a gem of a husband and obviously he loves you very much @Tamp_girl7
@Inlemay (16484)
• South Africa
Merry Christmas
• Riga, Latvia
Hope the holidays are merry bright for you and yours and that the New Year will bring you all the best @inlemay