A Charlie Brown Christmas

Pixabay, tree, public domain
@CoralLevang (37066)
Today I was mentioning to @DWDavis that my favorite Christmas show was A Charlie Brown Christmas. It first came out in 1965, when I was only 10 years old. Charlie Brown was depressed during the holiday season. Even then, the show touched on the over-commercialism of Christmas. The music was my favorite, featuring a jazz score by pianist Vince Guaraldi. It is probably my favorite Christmas album ever. I just turned on the television (which I rarely watch), and lo and behold, I will be watching it for the next hour.
@DWDavis (11151)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank for the mention! I find it interesting how early you can find references to the over-commercialization of Christmas. It is mentioned in Miracle on 34th Street during the scene with Kris and Albert in the employee locker room, and that came out in 1947. Considering the modern Christmas we celebrate with Santa and such only came into being in the mid1800s, and was used commercially almost immediately, I find complaints about the over-commercialization of the holiday ironic.
@CoralLevang (37066)
As do I. And people think that's a new phenomenon. It's why when people talk about the way things were in the old days, I have to laugh. And if you study philosophy, much of the complaints of today are the same as back that wasn't of years ago, it was just a little different in the topic. People Are People. And we don't really change much.
First off, I appreciate any mention of one of my all time favorite movies. Yes, Miracle very explicitly brought up the commercialism issue. Not just the scene with Albert but when the manager tells Santa what toys to push at the kids.
@CoralLevang (37066)
@JohnRoberts not one of my favorite movies, but that scene was so appropriate to this topic.
I love all the old Charlie Brown specials, but the How the Grinch Stole Christmas...a yearly watching ritual for me. And the original, not that freakin' version that hit theaters several years ago.
@CoralLevang (37066)
Those old ones certainly had a Simplicity that touched hearts.
@CoralLevang I've been eyeing a couple Vince Guaraldi albums, but haven't found one in the condition I want for the price I'm willing to pay
@CoralLevang (37066)
@JolietJake wow! I am impressed!
I can't tell last I watched that show. It was nice when I was a kid. I am not interested in it these days. I just can't enjoy too much cartoons anymore.
@CoralLevang (37066)
Maybe getting back to a bit of your childhood would bring back some enjoyment.
@CoralLevang When I get my winnie the pooh tattoo that is going to be it for me. I hope to get it next month.
@CoralLevang (37066)
@sharon6345 good for you. Hope you get it as you want.
@theBlock (2471)
@CoralLevang I loved it as a kid, too. Although I never watched it as an adult---but that may change. Happy Holidays!
@CoralLevang (37066)
You, too. I'm sitting here and watching a whole lot of them that started. The original and now another.
@theBlock (2471)
@CoralLevang I'm glad you're enjoying them. I think I'm gonna watch a bunch of Christmas reruns tomorrow. I had watched It's a Wonderful Life around 20 times
@CoralLevang (37066)
@theBlock Ugh. Don't care for that one. LOL I am trying to get my holiday spirit back. It's been a couple of decades gone. but I'll let you read the posts about that rather than rehash. LOL How have you been? Have missed you here.
@fluffysue (1430)
This is one of my favorites. I watched it when it was on this year, but only half-watched since I was online at the same time. I will have to get out the DVD and watch it (Christmas season is not over yet!) :)
@CoralLevang (37066)
@fluffysue You can celebrate year-round! Yay! I would watch it monthly if I had it!
Greatest Christmas special ever made!
@CoralLevang (37066)
I agree
It's nice to wax nostalgic sometimes.
@CoralLevang (37066)
I think we should have a mile at party where we all watch the same thing and wax nostalgic together
I watch it every year. It is also a favorite of my grand daughter's. No matter how old is get christmas just isn't Christmas without Watching Charlie Brown.
@CoralLevang (37066)
That's a good tradition to have!
@Platespinner (17573)
That's one of the Christmas specials we usually try to watch every year.
@CoralLevang (37066)
Well, I got to watch it last night and didn't even know it was on. I should turn my television on more often perhaps!
I saw that on, but I have seen it many times. I watched the second Peanuts special though.
@CoralLevang (37066)
I'm watching that one now.