Today is Boxing Day

When I first moved to Canada, at Christmas I heard the the 26th was called Boxing Day. I had no idea what it was and a neighbor told me it was the day that everyone boxes up their gifts and return them to the stores and exchange them to what they really wanted instead..... I thought that was a bit off as far as history but she was my closest friend and I was new to Canada...I believed her... silly me... Then a friend and I went to Dundurn Castle in Hamilton Ontario, to see their Historic Victorian Christmas. The house was awesome and the decorations for the season were beautiful. A guided tour through the old home was very interesting. The explanation of what Boxing Day was! On christmas all the staff have to take care of the owners Christmas, making sure their day is wonderful. Boxing day is the day the staff in the huge mansions had off to celebrate their Christmas. A Box filled with important things was given to every employee as a Christmas Gift. The following from the internet: One idea is that December 26 was the day centuries ago when lords of the manor and aristocrats typically distributed “Christmas boxes” often filled with small gifts, money and leftovers from Christmas dinner to their household servants and employees, who were required to work on December 25, in recognition of good service throughout the year. These boxes were, in essence, holiday bonuses. This above is from So it turned out my neighbor had no idea of where the term Boxing Day came from. But I know! How do you celebrate Boxing Day? It's a quiet day for us.
December 26 is not only a day for Santa Claus to catch his breath but a public holiday known as Boxing Day in the United Kingdom and other B...
We do not celebrate the Boxing Day here, but today we celebrate St. Stephens day, it's a Catholic holiday, he was the first Christian martyr.
When I was looking up the facts about Boxing day I saw St. Stephens day for the first time...I'd not heard of it before today...
I went to exercise class and that is about it for me today.
I stayed home, there were no classes at the Y on Boxing Day. I really miss my water aerobics when its not offered. Today it snowing and raining and I am staying home, maybe time to start putting Christmas away...
@PainsOnSlate I know our classes were suspended for this week but the one at the senior center was still on. Luckily we didn't know the water classes were canceled and we bumped into our teacher at the pool and we got a private class, it was fun.
@BelleStarr The Y was open but no classes on Boxing day...I could have gone and used the pool but I'm basically lazy...
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I always thought it was a day to return gifts as well. I have a couple of Canadian friends and I think that's how they explained it to me. Must be the real reason behind it has been lost for quite awhile.
Unless you go to a museum like I did, you probably wouldn't be told...except I think in School it must be taught at some level.
@PainsOnSlate I mentioned it to my husband as we drove up to Niagara Falls yesterday and we were discussing Canada. He forgot they had a holiday called Boxing Day, but when I told him, he also thought it was for the returns/exchanges. I set him straight!
@katsmeow1213 too funny!
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
We don't celebrate boxing day here in the U.S. I never even heard of it before until we made friends with someone who was from Wales and they told us the meaning. I found it very interesting as I do other customs and traditions throughout the world.
It was a surprise to me when we moved here. My daughter shops on Boxing day but not me...
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@PainsOnSlate I don't blame you at all. Here in the U.S., people were acting stupid the day after Christmas because of sales.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
Have a most wonderful Boxing Day. I am just going to run out right quick and pick up some Christmas Wrapping Paper as it goes on sale for like 25 cents a roll in a local store. I am running out so I want to get some of that.
I refuse to shop on that day, Luckily when I was younger I stocked up of Christmas paper and don't need it...
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
@PainsOnSlate I had enough to last like 4 years but those 4 years have come and gone, so it was time to restock.
@mom210 (6761)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Ha, the first thing that popped into my mind was neighbor's putting on their boxing gloves about parking spots.
No, that's not what its about! Thanks for the laugh.
@salonga (28016)
lol, I thought it was a day to watch boxers on the ring. But thank you, I leaned something new from you.
I had no idea what it was when I lived through the first one, now I do... too.
Nowadays Boxing Day is the day we get over Christmas. When I was young it was the day we caught up with those we didn't see on Christmas Day.
Since I never knew about it while in the States, its just another day. I liked learning about the history from Victorian times, but we usually just stay home and relax.
@sueznewz2 (9993)
• Alicante, Spain
yes it's a quiet day for us we went for a walk and watched tv..and ate a variety of leftovers ... whivh is quite traditional if you are not going visiting ...lol..
We don't do much on Boxing day, we did have some friends over for a drink in the afternoon and nibbles. My daughter went shopping but I dislike crowds.
You are now one up with information and thanks for sharing it here. And as far as I am concerned I really thought everyone had boxing 'routs' .
Too funny. I didn't know anything about the event until I moved here...its a legal holiday too...
@PatZAnthony (12659)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
This is interesting to learn. Not too many in our area have a clue what it is about.
I never heard of it before moving to Canada but I like the history part...
Well, here, the day after Christmas is nothing special. I had heard the term Boxing Day on TV shows we can watch from England. I never knew what it was, but I do now, thanks to you.
I like to share.... glad you learned something. We stay home on that day the crowds are awful!...
Happy Boxing day.What do I know.LOL
It was a quiet day here, we avoid the crowds.
@stbrians (15106)
• Kakamega, Kenya
In my place it is when we celebrate our culture
That is very interesting and a good thing to do. I like the history attached to the day here in Canada.
I knew that Boxing Day stemmed back pretty far, much further then shopping on Boxing Day, which is relatively new in comparison. Happy Boxing Day!
When we moved here I had never heard of it before....