Justifying Myself

Boise, Idaho
I feel guilty sometimes paying so much for cable. It's not just cable either. It is internet, cable and phone. I pay(get ready for this.....please don't yell) $205.41 a month(my daughter pays half). I figure the internet has been wonderful and I rarely have any issues. Only when I don't refresh the router like I am supposed to every three or four months does it bog down and get slow. Then the cable is just grand. I have all the movie channels so I have a lot to watch in my odd hours. Two DVRs(one upstairs and one down) is nice too so we can tape whatever we like and watch it at our leisure. I have the upgraded channels too and HD cause my television is a HD one. I would like to get a smart TV and that is going to be my next expenditure I think. I have music choices too that I like to listen at different times. I can see my Bates Motel and a few others coming up in a month or too. For someone who watches a lot of TV it is great. And, I would hate to have to go searching for some TV series on the streaming sites and would so disappointed if they didn't have the ones I like. This is very convenient. PLUS, I don't' have to pay the huge theater prices nor go out around people. For a homebound person with social anxiety it is wonderful. And the newer movies come on my Netflix site usually as early as a month or two after releasing to the theaters(some are longer). That isn't bad at all. For the three of us to go to a movie it would cost us about $100 a whack. Taxi fare and tickets plus some popcorn and a drink. Even the cheaper theaters are getting a bit spendy but could bring the amount down by half perhaps. The phone is about the only thing I don't care for that much. It is okay and we have a cordless Vtech phones so it is nice and the service is LD through out the US. Good enough. A cell phone would be nice and alleviate a lot of the problems we are running into. Such as, I fear I am coming to a position with my Bing account where they are going to insist on a cell phone number. Each time I go to cash out and get a Amazon gift card it causes me about a week of writing back and forth with the support department until they find a way to set up the page it goes to when I click on redeem so that I can get the card. It always gives me a notification that is having trouble reading my landline number. Ugh! What a hassle. And I do love Bing's search engine so much I hate to try to get used to using a different one. I tried to redeem before Christmas and have heard from them twice and am still waiting. I have asked them why they can't set it up where I just have a number I give them each time to show that I am who I say I am and then redeem the card for me. Is that really that hard? So, anyway. There I am. I do feel justified in my bill each much although I do wish it could be lower. For the amount of movies we watch monthly and the streaming my grandson does and the enjoyment we have with it all I am hard pressed to change it all now. I would get a cell but that would be another bill and we don't make a lot of calls at all. The kids don't call anyone I don't either.
Well, if it is what you like and is your only means of entertainment then why not! That is of course if you can afford it. We have had an expensive cable bill, and less expensive too. Now we have Dish, which my husband pays for and internet that I pay for. It works out okay.
That's good. I can't have Dish here because I am on housing.
@celticeagle many can't for that very reason. We own this place so it is okay.
@ElusiveButterfly ......Am so used to Cable One, not sure I'd like another format.
I think if your happy with it then that's what matters. =)
@LovingMyBabies You're so right.
I am and I agree, that is what matters.
some things are useful, that sounds useful to you. you might be able to do a straight talk phone, where you add a card of minutes WHEN you need, for 5-10 dollars, so not another bill
I will be looking into it. I would like a nice one if I get one.
@celticeagle maybe an obama phone I think those are still free, but not sure. I do know the straight talk things from like walmart aren't too bad. they have some ten dollar cells, and then you can just buy a card with minutes to load on when needed. Texting, back when I had one, used a third of a minute, and we just kept calls short, so often didn't need to add minutes even more than every couple of months.
@Jessicalynnt ......That'd be good. I just hate to make the change. Don't want the extra bill or problems with the payee. I'm a procrastinator at heart. Hehe
I pay an outrageous cable/phone/internet each month too but I feel as if it's my luxury each month since I don't go to the movies etc.
I'm the same way. I would have to minimize this bill a lot if I was still going out to moves.
It does sound expensive, but when you explain in detail - you are getting a lot for your money.
I think so too.
@PatZAnthony (12871)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
That is a lot of money to me, but everyone has the 'thing' they need in their life or home. We were able to ditch the house phone and have limited TV by choice. The Internet is more important to us these days.
It all comes down to the individual and what they need.
@sallypup (28058)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That's quite a whopper of a bill!
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
It does sound a little expensive but if we could afford it, I would probably have all the channels that you do too. I am at home all day by myself and I do watch a lot of TV and would love to have more choices on what I can watch even though we do have Netflix. There are times when I wish I had a DVR for my bedroom because I use my computer, artwork, jewelry making, scrapbooking and sewing there because we don't have a third bedroom.
I just have the basic cable channels and then the upgrade. There are a lot of channels. Just don't have the premium ones like HBO and SHowtime. I love having the DVR and it is only $10 a month.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@celticeagle I am going to be rearranging my room over the next couple of days so that I can unpack some of my boxes in my closet. They are office things as well as some of my jewelry and scrapbooking stuff. I have to find a way to have the room to have everything where I can find it. I may see if my brother would be okay with me getting a DVR for my bedroom. He is the one who pays the bills but I could work a little harder on myLot to pay for it myself.
@simone10 ........I once put my jewelry on a cork board with pins. That got it up and out of the way. I have most in dishes now that have lids. A DVR is a nice thing to have if you enjoy watching TV.
i think my brother pays more than that.i've been trying to talk him into getting a roku or something.
For someone who doesn't know how these things work it is sort of scary to change when they are used to the convenience of the cable.
With drift in family and friends relationships, this is the only way one can get in touch with the world and I, therefore, feel these expenses are justified.
I keep in touch with my BFF on FB so it is nice to have the internet and the service.
You are happy and satisfied with what the deal brings to you day in and day out! No justification is needed. Good for you.
I think everyone has ever felt this way in their lives.