Ten Favorite Rock State Names Songs: All the Lilacs in Ohio (#8)

@FourWalls (13701)
I'm traveling around the country, visiting different cities and states courtesy of their names appearing in the titles of songs. I did ten rock songs with cities' names and ten country songs with states' names, and now I'm reversing that trend. Here's the next song on my list of favorite songs with a state's name in the title. #8: All the Lilacs in Ohio - John Hiatt Yeah, like I'm gonna forget him in this countdown. And I was there that day, and I don't know what to say Except New York had her heart broke (From "When New York Had Her Heart Broke" by John Hiatt) Back in the "old days" it was customary, for some reason, to release new albums on a Tuesday. So on Tuesday, September 11, 2001, John Hiatt was in New York City to do promotional interviews for his new album being released that day, The Tiki Bar Is Open. Needless to say, none of the interviews took place in the light of the terrorist attacks. Despite the fateful day on which the album was released, The Tiki Bar Is Open is one of Hiatt's great albums. Jimmy Buffett has covered the title song (providing more college money for Hiatt's kids ), and it contains one of my favorite Hiatt songs, an uncharacteristic lost-love song called "Something Broken" (Hiatt usually writes love songs, inspired [as he always says] by his 30-year marriage, so when this downer of a song came out Hiatt said fans were asking him if his marriage was on the rocks!). And there's this rocking, upbeat song, featuring the Goners (the powerhouse band that backed Hiatt's classic albums in the 80s). It's sung to a drunk (the "you" is used throughout) who gets in a taxi with a woman wearing lilac perfume. She leaves her handkerchief and he dreams of her. Hiatt makes it sound much better than my lame description. That's what makes him so great. All the Lilacs in Ohio Written by John Hiatt Recorded by John Hiatt From The Tiki Bar Is Open, 2001 You might see your own ass in a double whiskey glass:
First track from The Tiki Bar Is Open. I do not own the rights to this.
That's a pretty hard rocking tune!
@FourWalls (13701)
Put Sonny Landreth on an album and it's gonna rock.
John Hiatt. Need you say more lol?