My Husband is Going to Quit Smoking!

A few days ago, from out of the blue, I came upon a post on Facebook. It was posted by my husband saying he was going to quit smoking. I was delighted to see this. It was a surprise for me! My husband has smoked for a long time. I try not to nag him about his habit. However, with so many of his family members having smoking related health issues, it is hard not for me to be concerned. There is an anti-smoking commercial that plays several times a day and every time it plays, I cry. I noticed that my husband has silently watched it as well. It is called "Last Dance." I've posted a link to this commercial and encourage you to view it. I hope and pray that my husband can kick this terrible habit. And for those who are trying to do the same, I wish you success.
Quit Tasmania?'s latest campaign 'The Last Dance' depicts a man dying of a smoking-caused disease sharing a tender moment with his wife as she cares for him ...
@Asylum (46826)
• Manchester, England
This is not an easy thing to achieve and cantake more willpower than many people realise.
@Asylum (46826)
• Manchester, England
@ElusiveButterfly You need the desire, but even then it is difficult.
@HAPPSINGH it took me by surprise to hear he was going to quit. I hope he is successful.
My husband quit "cold turkey" in his early twenty".
Wonderful news!
Thank you! I was delighted to hear him say he was going to quit. I haven't smoked for over 39 years and being around smoke bothers me.
@ElusiveButterfly I was in line behind a couple of smokers at the grocery store yesterday. Just smelling them grossed me out.
@NJChicaa I can smell it on his clothes and also in our vehicles. He puts the window down when he smokes, but even so the smell stays in the vehicle.
@moffittjc (34755)
• Gainesville, Florida
I imagine there will be some ups and downs on his journey to quit smoking, so try to be patient with him and provide encouragement along the way. Also, there are help lines that can offer tips and encouragement to those who are trying to quit.
I am a very patient person. Was told that today as a matter of fact. I want him to succeed with this so badly.
@moffittjc (34755)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ElusiveButterfly It's going to be rough, but with nurturing support and a strong willpower, he can do it!
@moffittjc I will do what I can to support him. However, the strength to succeed must come from him.
@elusivebutterfly Happy, your husband, decided to quit smoking. It will be hard, but I am rooting for him and know he can do it!
He isn't fully committed to it yet. Still puffing away. But, not as much as he usually does.
@ElusiveButterfly Maybe he is trying t slowly quit. If he is smoking less than before that is a good indication he must be trying to commit to it. Before you know if he won't be a smoker anymore!
@Marty1 I wish he would try the patch to help him with cravings.
My husband and I both quit cold turkey 17 years ago in February. You have to really want to quit to make it work. Good luck to him!!!
@ElusiveButterfly My husband and I ate - and I mean ate - and we haven't stopped yet!
@AbbyGreenhill my husband said he won't turn to food, but he loves his sweets and I think he may have a problem.
@ElusiveButterfly I needed a lot of food lol - when I quit smoking I was smoking 4 packs a day for many years.
I wish him luck, it is hard, some things work, some dont. some can track and cut back, some go to a vape for awhile then start cutting back the amount of nicotine, some use a patch, some use chantix. some are able to cold turkey.
He won't touch a vape because of the chemicals they use to create the vapor. He won't use medications because he is not one to take medications, unless it is acetaminophen. I'd like him to try to the patch to help curb the cravings.
@ElusiveButterfly most that I know that used the vape to quit (he is smoking chemicals right now anyways), found it helped them step down, then they phased it out too, it at least started helping get the smoke stuff out of the lungs faster.
@Jessicalynnt I bought him one a couple of years ago and he gave it to my son. Not sure my son uses it anymore.
Hope that he can stop, it's very hard. I've never smoked but have seem some try to stop.
I have known many who have had severe health problems and still can't stop. I don't want him to get to that point. However, he has smoked for a long time and this will be harder than he thinks.
@ElusiveButterfly There was a guy using an electronic one in Walmart yesterday. His wife said it was better for him than regular cigs. But not sure about how that would be.
@Susan2015 those are just nasty. Nobody knows the long-term effects using these has on a body.
@dodo19 (27755)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I hope that he is able to quit and that it goes well for him. Good luck to him! I wish him the best of luck.
He will need all of my support. Says he will be a grumpy bear throughout the process, but I am willing to put up with that.
@dodo19 (27755)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@ElusiveButterfly I'm sure it won't be easy and he'll be grumpy. But that's the way it is. So long as he has some support from loved ones, I'm sure he'll make it through.
@dodo19 If he can stay away from people who smoke it will be easier for him. My brother doesn't smoke and we spend a lot of time at his house. I expect that we will spend more time there now.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
My husband thinks I don't know that he smokes. I simply no longer comment....it invariably ends in him getting angry...it simply isn't worth the upset.....he'll quit when and if he's ready. Good luck to your husband.
My husband smokes in the bathroom with the fan on. Even so, I can smell the smoke when he leaves the bathroom. I can smell it on his clothes too. I worry more about his health as well. He gets upper respiratory illnesses more often too.
@Morleyhunt so those who are chain smokers just reek of that nasty smell all the time. Yuck.
I hope that he is successful, I know by experience that it is such a hard vice to give up. I nag at my husband occasionally for him to quit, but he needs to come to that decision on his own.
I stopped nagging altogether. When this commercial came on and I just sat there and cried without saying a word, I think he took it to heart.
@ElusiveButterfly It would be beneficial if this were shown to teenagers in the high schools before they become totally addicted. I showed the clip to my husband, he's pretty quiet right now.
@Juliaacv It played a few minutes ago as I watched the news. I had to focus on something else.
I've never seen that commercial. It was very good.
It plays every day on the stations that I watch. Makes me cry every time.
@ElusiveButterfly I'm sure it does.
I hope he quits successfully, best of luck . My father did and its been over a decade now
Let's hope that in 10 years time I will be back to say we are celebrating 10 years of him not smoking!
@ElusiveButterfly Every year will be a milestone of successfully not smoking.
What a very touching commercial. I wish him all the best. I wish my fiance would quit. He quit for 4 months last year. I was so proud of him and then he started smoking again. I was so disappointed.
The triggers that push them to smoke need to be evaluated. Mine lights up as soon as we get to the end of our driveway when he is driving. He will light up every 15 minutes or less when driving as well.
@ElusiveButterfly yes mine is the same. I hate It. It is a nasty habit.
good luck to your husband!
thank you snowy~
@DWDavis (11147)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I quit smoking in April of 1987. I remember the month and year, but not the day. Congrats to your husband for deciding to quit. I pray he is able to kick the habit.
Thank you! I am so happy that he has decided to quit. His health is my main concern.
@FayeHazel (10881)
So hard for so many, I wish him well
Thank you!
What a great moment for you! Congratulations! May you both live for a long time to come
Thank you Cali!
I do hope your husband is successful in quitting smoking. My husband quit when our son was born. Quite a struggle for him, but so glad he made it to being a non-smoker. I am wishing your husband the best of luck!
Thank you Deb! He has never seemed more dedicated than he is now. I hope he kicks this!
@oracle1ac (341)
yea it is a very hard habit to stop, i have been trying for years now to quit but i still go back to it but am going to make a very serious resolve next year to quit
Best of luck to you!
• Pamplona, Spain
I donĀ“t smoke but I pick up the horrible stuff its got in it. He does try to give up too. So I hope yours is managing to stop it bit by bit as well. Not easy but he will get there.
I am hopeful that he will succeed with this. It came as a surprise to me that he decided to do it.