What to do when your own dog growl at you?

By RK
@ragikutty (2460)
Kerala, India
I have a Labrador at home and he is 5years old. He isn't trained. So he growls at me and my hubby when we try to take something from him which he should be having. For example today I found him trying to eat a coconut shell and tried to get it from him. He went all growling mode and I know for sure he would have bitten me if I went near him. Thankfully me and he was separated by grill and I was trying to take it using a stick. Later I gave him some snack to eat and then took away the shell. This always happen when he tries to eat stone or brush or stuffs like that. What to do? Since he goes all his growling angry mode my hubby doesn't like him and doesn't help me with these situations. He is like how can our own dog growl at us even after feeding him and looking after him? Dogs are supposed to be best and thankful being, but our's isn't ? :-(
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
You need to find someone who can help you obedience train your dog. If you haven't taken the role of the alpha, your dog will. That is why he growls at you. He is the boss and your trying to frustrate him. Giving him treats to get him to let go of something he shouldn't be chewing just reinforces his chewing and he will do it just to get the treats. Please get some obedience training for the dog before something bad happens.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
Seems like that's the only way. But that is not gonna happen here. In our placed dog training is all waste of money. So elders will scold us for doing that. And if I tell them the reason for doing that, they will tell me to give up the dog instead of spending more money on him.
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@ragikutty There are courses available online that might be helpful. This site offers many options for home training.
› ‹ Cyber Dog Course Eight-week, online pet manners course. Individualized coaching up to twice per week. Read More Start Smart Course Ten-day, online clicker skills course. Perfect for in-home clients or pet parents new to clicker training! Read More Webi
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
@DWDavis Thanks a lot. I will try to learn. But dunno if my doggy will be ready for some discipline
@Bluedoll (17069)
Labs are so docile but I guess something is bothering him. Perhaps the stick is not agreeing with him. When he is not eating giving him hugs might help? Then offer some nice food by hand with hugs. Then in play pull something from his mouth. If he gets angry, give him the cold shoulder. Wait this is all wrong. This is how you train a husband. Sorry about that.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
I didn't hit him with the stick.i just tried to move that coconut shell away from his hand with the stick. I do hug him, kiss him, rub his bellies, feed from my hand etc. I do everything to make him understand I do love him. Giving him cold shoulder, he never gets it whenever i tried doing that. He just acts normal. Then in the end I will feel bad and go back hugging.
@Bluedoll (17069)
@ragikutty I guess he really wanted that coconut shell. I've seen an owner with a Lab and it showed his teeth and growled but the owner wasn't too concerned. I guess his dog was just expressing. But the owner didn't press it just let him be.
@nomus24g (22880)
No pet experience....
@louievill (18642)
Dogs are pack animals, there is something wrong in how you raised and trained him, he does not uderstsnd that he is below you in the pack and growling at an Alpha Male or Female ( both of You) is a no no for him to survive Never ever grab anything an animal is eating, not just dogs although if he understand the pack hierarchy like my pets then it csn be done, remember although domesticated, they have genes from the wild,wolves to be exact
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
He usually doesn't have any issue eating from my hands or if I take food from him plate and feed him or move his plate when he is eating. He gets angry only when I stop him doing stuffs he know he shouldn't be doing. I am depressed. :-(
@louievill (18642)
@ragikutty what ever it is he should know what his position is in the pack, he should be submissive when you, the alpha make or female does things, he does not even have the right to get angry because that is the way of his nature, if he does it then he does not understand his proper place and need to be trained.