It was a nightmare.

My dad's side of the family got together Monday, the 26th, for Christmas. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive, but since my grandmother (my late mother's mom) lives close to where the get together was, my dad dropped me off at her house after the Christmas party with his family. So I've been gone since then (she has no internet), and got back yesterday. My uncle, my mom's only sibling, lives in the house next door to my grandmother (which was not bought by him). I'll get to him being the nightmare in other posts, but it's too extensive to talk about in one post. He is sixty, and my grandmother is 79. I believe he is a sociopath, and so does the rest of the family. I don't get how my dad is the15th of 16 children, and every one of them are/were productive members of society. Yet my mom had one older brother, and he is so awful. My uncle had an easier path than my.mother, yet he squandered every opportunity he had. It's nuts, isn't it?
It does seem very strange how one member of a family can be so different. It seems most families have a 'black sheep'.
Yes! I thought for sure my dad would have a black sheep for a sibling. The closest one to a black sheep in his family is the 16th, my dad's younger brother. He had a drinking problem for about five years. but hasn't had a drop for 25 years.
Nightmare - yikes! As others have said, I guess all families have one of those - and who knows just how that comes to be. I hope he is not being a burden to your grandmother as she lives right next door to him.
She changed his underwear because he missed his bedside urinal. When he wants his heat turned up and down he has her come over. She feeds him, and does all his cleaning. He's definitely a burden.
@AmbiePam Oh no. Sounds like he totally depends on her. I can't imagine that your elderly grandmother would be able to take care of him hand and foot like that - it must be so difficult on her - especially when she should be taking it easier and enjoying her life at this time.
@bunnybon7 (36482)
• Holiday, Florida
@AmbiePam omg, poor grandma!
That's tough that your uncle is that way-I think that every family has one of those in them. Is this the same Gramma that you were always very close with? I remember on the other site you used to post about your Gramma, and I cannot remember if it was your Mom's mother or not. Happy New Year Amber!
Yes, that's the one!
@AmbiePam I remember how very fond you were of her, did you enjoy your time together this past week?
@Juliaacv I treasured the time I did get with her, but over half was taking care of my uncle, including when he wanted me to pick him up, and when my grandmother had to help him change his underwear. He refuses to get help and depends upon my grandmother for care. Even though she walks hunched over with a cane. He could go to the hospital or a rehab center, but doesn't like people. And he keeps falling because he takes too much pain medicine and goes nuts. When she wasn't at his house I made sure she didn't lift a finger, but she was still so stressed.
@FayeHazel (18007)
I am sorry to hear that. I have a half brother who we know is a sociopath. It's hard but sometimes no contact is the best.... I hope whatever your case is that it works out for the best
Thank you.
@bunnybon7 (36482)
• Holiday, Florida
yes i had 5 and 2 have done just that. i had no brothers or sisters but made a couple wrong choices in my life too. we all have some family like that i think. at least one or 2 of them
Sounds like a lovely Christmas - being facetious. I'm glad you're back home.
There seems to be one like your uncle in every family. It's such a shame.
That's sad that your uncle spoiled your visit with your grandmother.
@TheSojourner (17454)
Some families have one, some have to, some have whole groups of them like that! I'm glad you did have some time with your grandmother and that it was special. And the rest of it just keep the intention to keep a good relationship with her and that's what's important
i'm sorry it was a difficult get together
@1hopefulman (28403)
Oh my! Not a great thing to have a family member like that. Glad your home safe!
@STOUTjodee (3440)
I think every family has at least one of "them" in the family!!! Look forward though to ready about him in other posts!!
It is nuts and you never know just what knocked people off the good path.
Every family has at least one.
Every family has some members who are pretty weird, it's weird, but this happens all the time.
Yet my dad's family has none. Unless I'm the weird one. My uncle isn't weird; he's just horrible. My grandmother changed his underwear this weekend when he missed his bedside urinal. He doesn't like people, so he'd rather have his crippled mother take care of him instead of going to the hospital or a physical therapy rehab center. I certainly hope all families don't have one of him.
Family trees tend to produce inedible nutz all the time . . . sorry yours hit so close to home. Have a wonderful New Year btw