Who idea was to put radiators by the windows

Kingston, New York
With all the old homes most of the radiator heater is under the window. This help the home lose heat faster since it just go out the Windows Most of the new homes are electric heat And most are central air and heat but the old Homes are allway cold. And use oil for heat But i think having thr heater yndet the window is a mistake.
We bought an old house in Oak Park, IL, and it was beautiful. However, the radiators wee under the windows! Strange indeed. Found this, and it kind of explains the reason: By placing the radiator under the window this floor draught is directed upwards thanks to convection from the rising hot air, making the room feel warmer and providing a more even distribution of heat. Any draught current around the room will thus be warm air, not cold air.
@yukimori (8556)
Huh, never would have guessed that was the reasoning behind it!
• Kingston, New York
Very interesting, but my floors Are ice cold
Now that is a perfectly logical explanation for steam radiators underneath window sills @Corbin5
@yukimori (8556)
It makes about as much sense as the electric heaters in our apartment being installed in the ceiling. I suppose you could put plastic or bubble wrap over the windows to help insulate them, but that only does so much good.
• Kingston, New York
Actually that might be a good idea i think Homedepi and lowes has something for Windows
@masood72 (4180)
• Amersfoort, Netherlands
good idea i think to make the home cooler
• Kingston, New York
To make it warmer for the winter Not cooler
The older homes with steam heat supplied by radiators is far better health wise than these newer constructed homes and that darned central air or heat BUT in the case of your post, windows were made much better back in the old days too I my opinion
• Kingston, New York
I like the old style windows in the old homes as long as I do not have to clean them they are to big but you are right with the steam heat
@eagletrek2 they make squeegies that are for very tall windows and shorter people that are so much fun to use, one actually enjoys window washing !
• Kingston, New York
@enlightenedpsych2 as long as it not a tall building like the Sears tower
@PatZAnthony (11757)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The theory is that the moving air (from the window) will be warmed as it enters. Like you, I'd like to see it elsewhere.
• Kingston, New York
I just learn it had to do something with moisture To keep the home warm with the Old style windows
@redurnet (772)
I have never thought about this before but you could be right. I suppose it is coldest near the windows so it warms up the colder air first and then warms the rest of the room, perhaps. When it is really cold we stick an electric radiator in the middle of the room and it really makes a difference.
• Kingston, New York
What I found out most of the heat goes out the window that why the old homes do not warm up
@UncleJoe (7167)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
We lived in a house that had the radiators right under the windows. I think they were suppose to warm the frigid air that was leaking in because the windows were the crank-out jalousy type that didn't seal very well. Our school radiators were like that too.