Solve this mystery...?

@vandana7 (56875)
I took a home loan about 13 odd years ago, and since final payment was within my reach, I repaid it last month... I went to collect the document..which as per laws is scanned in our state. Now, 1st page in normal documents is a stamp paper, second page and other pages need not be. Behind first page, the vendor and vendee sign and affix their thumb impressions and Registrar becomes the witness. The document they were returning had first page missing, instead there was a photocopy of that page without any thumb impressions, signatures, etc. on the back. I refused to collect the document, and insisted that they report it as lost and issue notices in newspapers, and furnish FIR report, advertisement, EC... My position is weak here, I know...I have repaid the entire home loan. But their reputation is also at stake. I am left to wonder how it could have happened since banker would not have accepted any document like that...did any employee try to be too smart? Just dread the thought of work involved in getting the thing moving.
@topffer (29625)
• France
You have not a copy of the original document ?
@vandana7 (56875)
I do have a copy of original document. But without original in my hand, I would not be able to do much ...it would prove to be a hurdle for selling it.
@vandana7 (56875)
Moreover, I did not take the copy of my document there. The first page (photocopied page) has only the names of the vendors. If that is so, they can pick the photocopied page of any other document from the same project and attach it to mine...right? I am told I need to approach the police along with the banker ..tell them how it was lost or misplaced at the banker's end...publish notice in the newspapers...and after giving decent period ...to anybody else, to come forward, to pick it, obtain a certified copy. It still reduces the resale price of my property because how can people be confident that this entire thing really happened? I am dreading this work...
@topffer (29625)
• France
@vandana7 I do not understand exactly the problem. If it is about a loan contract now paid, the bank can give you a certificate telling that you paid it ??? If it is a property deed, the state do not keep a copy of property deeds in your country ? They keep a copy of any property deed since 1790 in my country, to tax people, and anyone can obtain a certified copy for a few euros from the tax administration. We cannot sell a land or a house with a private deed here, and the notary would also be able to deliver a copy.
@louievill (15876)
If you have all your payment or amortization receipts then I do not see any problem on your part, they would be answerable or maybe even liable.
@vandana7 (56875)
I have all amortization receipts...in the sense, we gave post dated checks so bank account clearly shows them. But how could banker lose that document...
@louievill (15876)
@vandana7 you will find out if you sue for negligence, but I hope it does not reach that point, just calmly ask them to produce it or else. Hope nobody used it to fake something
@vandana7 (56875)
@louievill ..ha ha...sue for negligence? Out here, each case takes about 50 years ...lol
@diosabella (4844)
Ooops... Thats alot of work.I hope u sort it out sooner and no one really used your documents in other purpose.
@vandana7 (56875)
I think what happened is they dumped a lot of papers for organizing them..and by mistake the first page which contains the vendors names in front and important details behind went away with other documents...while lifting. To kind of solve the problem, they pulled up similar property and took a photo copy of it, and affixed it on top of my document...and were even trying to hand it over to me thinking I was stupid enough and their problems due to carelessness would be resolved. As things stand its a property so they need to correct the situation in stipulated way.
@vandana7 Yes they should. Its your right. And its their responsibility. I worked in a bank for few months before and sometimes people that were sorting it out and filing weren't bank peoples but just an intern or two. When filing lots of papers all day they were turning to be like any other papers.
@vandana7 (56875)
@diosabella ..Yeah...its a filing problem as far as I can see...they employ people who have no knowledge about documentation and push us in trouble.
Hope you get it sorted with the minimum of trouble.
@vandana7 (56875)
There is a lot of work involved. First we have to obtain EC..then get the banker to report loss of document while in their custody to the police, and then publish in two dailies..giving 21 days notice...and once that is done, apply for certified copy of the document.
@vandana7 Think of how necessary a good end result is and it won't seem like too much trouble putting in the extra work.
@Drosophila (16881)
they need to sort this out for you regardless
@vandana7 (56875)
Yes. They need to...the bank manager was saying I will give you a letter and it will be alright...as if he does not retire,
@Drosophila (16881)
@vandana7 erm no, it's not alright
Since they cannot find the original paperwork, I'd demand them to find it. In addition to not being able to find it, create new paperwork stating your home is paid for with thumb impressions, signatures, and so forth with the addition of upper management to handle the case! How can they NOW tell you after 13 years or so, when you paid off the home ~ they're missing the copy?! If you haven't had paid your home yet.. you'd never know this mystery. I hope it gets resolved or misplaced and found quickly!
@vandana7 (56875)
It is so pathetic...the way they handled it...I am afraid there would be other parties too with such problems.
@vandana7 definitely pathetic! I hope you get everything sorted out soon!!
I hope they can straighten this out.
@vandana7 (56875)
Yeah...I too. I sent a mail to the bank manager last evening. He was trying to avoid one of the mandatory provisions. I am going to force him to do that now...let us see what happens.
@ms1864 (6979)
• Bangalore, India
the problems that arise in india. they always look for ways to stretch a simple process....this county needs to be more organized.
@vandana7 (56875)
Yeah...kinda worried actually...
@sunrisefan (16602)
You did the right thig not to accept the document and demand that they execute an affidavit of loss because the document got lost while in their custody. The annotation of cancellation of the mortage should be on the original of the document.
@vandana7 (56875)
Exactly...this is terrible situation. I would have to do some running about...
That does sound frustrating. I hope you can get paper work in order so you can feel secure.
@vandana7 (56875)
A lot of work is involved and I am just wondering where to begin. :(
wow some one was at fault there I hope they wikk straiughtebuit iut fir you
@vandana7 (56875)
I believe while lifting the document the first paper fell away. I also believe that they have used somebody else's document's first page and affixed it there because only vendors' names are there on the first page. Without registration number evidence, I am not accepting that...it is very clear that the page that the affixed on the top had multiple staples...it implies that somebody did tamper with it.
@masood72 (4159)
• Amersfoort, Netherlands
really not getting it to solve easily
@vandana7 (56875)
It would be very difficult for you to understand unless you know how registrations are in India.
@hostessman (6684)
• Tucson, Arizona
Good luck with this I hope you can get it squared away..