Almost a White Christmas

Greece
It was almost a White Christmas here which was quite a surprise. On the 28th there was a snow warning and on the 29th it happened. It was a very violent happening at night. The thunder rolled above us, the lightning flashed around us, the storm lashed the windows and the snow fell heavily and settled. In the morning we awoke to a white world. I had not seen any snow here worth mentioning for 8 years. The top of the Mimosa tree was broken and the branches heavy with buds were hanging low. It was very sad to see - that tree had taken a long time to grow strong, we had planted it ourselves, and it was quite the loveliest in the garden. The dogs snuggled deeply into the hay in their kennels, the cats stayed in on beds and chairs. We stayed in too for several days because the snow was deep in our lane and it is an uphill drive to the main road. Fortunately my husband had taken the warning and went for the weeks’ shopping on the 28th. Today the clouds cleared and the sun melted the remaining snow. It is very cold still and more snow is expected by the end of the week.
@mysdianait (64068)
Your snow made it to the news here as it was so unusual. Thunder with snow though? That is unusual too isn't it? We have had none worth speaking of yet this winter in the north of Italy. We have a relly cold spell arriving at the end of this week but no snow with it.
• Greece
It was very unusual and rather disturbing too, especially in the night.
@mysdianait (64068)
@41CombedaleRoad Oh yes it would have scared me at night for sure! The climate is definately changing rapidly and we can see so many changes each year compared to past years. Some are not for the better at all either.
I was thinking the thunder was unusual when I was reading it too.
I doubt i can stand that kind of weather, my last conversation with my relatives over there told me that even with the combined sweater and heater, it was still cold.
@averygirl72 (16318)
That's really cold, Although it's nice to see a White Christmas, I cannot stand extreme weather condition too
• Greece
I find the houses here colder than they usually are in the UK which expects a laong spell of cold weather every year. We have insulated walls here but tiles on the floor and the curtains are thin. Carpeting and heavy curtains helps to keep houses warmer I believe.
@averygirl72 (16318)
@41CombedaleRoad yes that really helps heavy curtains and carpeting
It looks very pretty in your picture. Just like here! Glad you got to stay in during the storm
• Greece
I was afraid of falling or of the dogs jumping on me in the snow - they got very excited. So I chose to stay indoors.
@41CombedaleRoad One has to be careful.
It was good that your husband had stocked up before the snow came. I guess you get some snow there every year?
• Greece
We rarely have snow, it might just dust the hills around us but it is 7 years since I have seen it heavy like this.
@41CombedaleRoad I thought maybe it was a bit unusual. It is very pretty though isn't it?
@rz3300 (140)
Well at least somebody got some semblance of a white Christmas. We had the exact opposite, and it was rainy and slushy and ugly. It is amazing how much that really affects the attitude too.
• Greece
We have all those picturesque Christmas cards to blame for our disappoint if Christmas is not a white one.
That's interesting - I wasn't aware that it ever snowed in Greece.
• Greece
There are ski resorts in the north of Greece, but here in Attiki I have rarely experienced more than just a light covering of the hills that melts as soon as the sun shines on it.
It seems that the heavy snow like that is seldom seen there.Strangely,there were lightning and thunder while it was snowing.By the way,Does Mimosa tree have golden blossom?
• Greece
Yes it does, the blossoms are like clusters of bobbles and the yellow colour is very strong.
• Portland, Connecticut
Well that was a surprise I am sure. We had a little snow over the last few weeks but nothing much.
• Greece
There is plenty of time for more snow to come. You might be lucky too!
After 8 years, that snowfall had to be a surprise for all. I hope the Mimosa tree can be saved. You sure do have a wild type of snowstorm, that is for sure.
• Greece
My husband has taken steps to help it, branches have been tied where they have have snapped and propped up where they have fallen. We live in hope...
What a beautiful place, it does look cold though. We got our freak snow in 2015 about the 26th of December, so far this season it's been relatively warm.
@Freelanzer (6721)
Interesting to have snow and thunder at the same time. We never get that here at the same time.
@Gillygirl (16445)
• Sutton, England
The photo is so -pretty I would never have imagined that Greece would get snow.