A Smiley Face for the New Year

Bunbury, Australia
We are home again after four very enjoyable nights spent with friends at their holiday house in Yallingup, Western Australia. I have quite a few things to tell you about our time away but for the moment I thought you'd enjoy this photo of a round hay-bale decorated with a smiley face. We saw some other bales decorated in various ways too but they can wait for another post. We returned home this morning and Vince has gone off to golf. I think he is mad. It is 37+C out there. If he dies of heat-stroke, I'll kill him! The New Year hasn't started particularly well for me as I have a cold but it could be a lot worse. Hope the New Year has started off well for you all.
@moffittjc (35628)
• Gainesville, Florida
That is pretty cool that people come up with inspirational ways to use their hay bales. I have never seen anything like that here in the US, but I'm sure people here probably do something similar. I like how just a simple paint job on the side of a hay bale can brighten everyone's day! Sorry to hear you have a cold. Hopefully, you will recover quickly. My daughter has come down with a full-blown case of the flu, only two days after we returned from vacation.
I'm pretty sure I've seen some 'creative creations' somewhere - perhaps it was in Canada. Such things bring a smile to everyone's face. And it's just a simple thing really. Costs almost nothing. Hope your daughter is recovering. My cold has just about run its course but one side of my face swelled up yesterday. It has gone down a bit and I'm waiting till tomorrow to decide if I go to the doctor or not. Have been to the Emergency Dept and they thought perhaps I'd hurt my jaw. Vince thinks I need to be absolutely silent for 48 hours and it will all be better. He's got fat chance.
@moffittjc (35628)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv Sorry to hear about your swollen jaw! Did the swelling ever go down, and did you ever find the cause? I wonder if you possibly could have gotten bitten by something?
@moffittjc I'm sure I wasn't bitten. It has gone down almost completely but it is still sore and sometimes I'm battling to finish a meal because it starts hurting so much. A good dieting aid! But it has improved a lot so I'll give it more time. One of these days I'll suddenly realise I haven't thought about it for days then I'll know it's better.
I love that hay bale, now I wish I had one to decorate. Happy New Year I hope your's will be healthy, happy and prosperous.
Thanks for the good wishes. I have some more hay-bales for another post. :)
You are so very welcome @JudyEv I think this will be fun to get to see, I don't drive around on our country roads very often because they are in poor shape and so many people drive way too fast on them, usually I upset those behind me because I'm no longer in a hurry to get anywhere.
@rebelann The roads where we were were crowded with holiday-makers but mostly people are considerate and the roads are good.
That's a bit nippy for you. We have that temp right now and all my wonderful snow is melting, and there isn't anymore in the near forecast. I think heat stroke will be the least of his problems in 37F temps. I would think it would be much warmer than that for you this time of year.
@just4him @Jessicalynnt It was supposed to be 37C! Doh! I've edited it now.
@JudyEv That does make a big difference in what the temp is for you. I hope he survived his golf game and you didn't need to kill him.
@just4him No, he got home in one piece thanks. Golfers are very committed although Vince wouldn't normally go when it is so hot. Numbers are down and he felt he should go.
The new year started better for me this year. I wasn't stressed out, i wasn't mad at anybody. Was a peaceful one. So i think i'm going to have a better 2017!
It is always good not to be stressed out or mad at someone!
@JudyEv True. But every Christmas and New Year's eve, except this year, I found myself in that situation.
@toniganzon Then that is especially good. A bonus for you.
Cute bale of hay. I have a cold, too. Feel better soon.
It's a summer cold for me and a real pain at the moment.
@JudyEv Mine is a winter cold in a place that seems like summer. I caught it from my husband. It's just a head cold, but laid me up for three days. I have to make myself better by tomorrow. Get rest and have a hot toddy.
@DianneN I sort of consider myLotting as 'rest' or am I pushing my luck?
@JESSY3236 (5020)
I had a cold too. I think I'm finally over mine.
Sometimes they hang around for ages. Mine seems to have gone too.
@Freelanzer (6456)
Hope you get rid of that darn cold soon. But nice to know you had an enjoyable holiday
Thanks. It is better than it was. But sometimes a cold is hard to get rid of completely. It's a work-in-progress at the moment. :)
• Austin, Texas
Sorry you don't feel well. It's easy to catch a bug over the holidays. But usually it's nothing major. I feel like something is trying to get at me but there is enough medicine in our house for me to fight it off. Last night it was a headache. Today it's my throat. But I'm sure it'll be OK. The weather report is that a cold front is coming in tonight. Right now I'm sitting under a ceiling fan. It's not even 10 o'clock yet. The night is young! Maybe it will get a little chilly. Got my space heater ready just in case.
Mine started off with a really sore throat too but hopefully it will run its course and I'll be well again.
@rz3300 (141)
I love this stuff. Sometimes those little things that people do can go a long way in cheering you up. I could stand to see more of those around.
I like it too. It puts everyone is a better frame of mind.
@katsmeow1213 (28917)
I like the caption.. Hay-moji.. that's cute! Emojis are all the rage right now. Glad you had a nice trip. Hope you feel better soon.
It's a happy looking bale isn't it? Thanks for the good wishes. :)
oh I read that as 37 Fahrenheit, and thought, brrrr!
I wrote it as Fahrenheit but went back and edited it once I realised.
Very creative hay bale. Hope you feel better sooner than later.
Thanks. I haven't had a cold for so long I'd nearly forgotten what it was like. It's awful!
Happy New Year Judy glad you had a nice visit with your friends. Hope you cold doesn't linger
Yes, I'm hoping to get rid of it soon.
Happy New Year on your first post here from Down Under in 2017.
Thanks. I hadn't thought of it in that way but you are right. Have a great New Year too.
Mine didn't start off too well either - but I survived.
Survival is always a good start.
They do that a lot around here, decorate the bails for most holidays. Hope you feel better soon.
I've seen YouTube clips of quite elaborate 'sculptures' of hay-bales.
All what one needs is creativity and with that there is no limit what one can do. Cute idea.
That's very true but some have more creativity than others. :)
@xFiacre (10461)
@judyev Mine started with a very sore back but it seems to have gone this morning. Yesterday we walked in brilliant cold sunshine along the sea front in Warrenpoint, prettiest little harbour at the foot of the Mourned. I hope the rest of the year goes fabulously well for you and yours.
Thanks for the good wishes. I'm glad your back came good. My back plays up from time to time but it's mostly good if I'm a bit careful.
@Madshadi (4537)
• Brussels, Belgium
Sorry to hear that cold ruined your new year's eve. Hope you are feeling better already. And thanks for sharing the awsome photo of that smiley face
It didn't quite ruin it but of course, I'd prefer not to have it. I have some more decorated hay-bales for later.
@Inlemay (17329)
• South Africa
that is very hot to be playing GOLF - they siren us off the course at 35*C for 10 minute breaks - goodness I hope he is all right.
He is home again and fine. It is interesting that they make you come off every so often.