Tax Time is approaching!

This is meant for those of us who actually do our taxes and pay our fair share! It is time to get prepared!! Keep an eye on your mail since many of us get those envelopes that say, 'tax documents'...I know over the years I accidentally threw a couple of them away! We have our taxes done for a few reasons: . If a mistake is made I won't go to jail if someone else makes that mistake . It's fairly cheap and I think it would cost me more to print out all the pages . I always hope the tax lady will find something I didn't think of So that's my story....when we were able to itemize our dedications I did a lot of the prep work myself, which made is easy on the tax preparation person! Now it's just the short form but there are a few extenuating circumstances which might change things a little this year for us, another reason for the pro to take over. Taxes...should be interesting to see what changes will be made when tax time rolls around a year from now. Will the rich get richer and the poor get poorer? Photo: pixabay.com/en/tax-forms-income-business-468440/
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I also have a guy who does our taxes. Some years ago when I got my inheritance I ran into some possible trouble. After two years of writing letters and many phone calls to the IRS everything was put in proper order. I still worry about that so to keep things correct we use a tax man, who is a dear friend of mine and comes to my house to do my taxes. It's a win win situation.
I agree. Inheritance was one reason we started using a tax pro. She doesn't come to the house but is just a few miles down the road.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@AbbyGreenhill The whole " Required Minimum Distrubtion" is what got me into trouble. We didn't know about it so didn't take it for the first 2 years. The IRS wanted to levy a 20% penalty on me. Thankfully I got that all straightened out and they ended up taking the penalty off the table for which I was extremely grateful. But it was just over 2 years of worrying about it. Way to much stress.
@fishtiger58 Wow, that must have been harrowing. It pays to let the pros handle stuff like that for sure.
When our finances were a bit more complicated we used to get our taxes done but now we're retired and on a pension we don't have to put in a tax return.
So you don't have to file at all. ... we do although we make just a small amount from pension it's the dividends and interest that mess us up.
@AbbyGreenhill Ours is structured somehow that we don't need to do a return but basically it's because we don't have enough assets. You're allowed a house, car and x$ (don't know the figures) and you can still get the pension but once outside those limits the pension drops. I think if you're not earning then the tax returns become unnecessary.
@JudyEv taxes are crazy aren't they?!?!?!
We usually go to our tax prep guy in March.
We go early Feb., as soon as all the stuff is in. I like to beat the rush!
@AbbyGreenhill You are well prepared! I did hear they were delaying tax returns if people were getting any money back.
@infatuatedbby I didn't hear that, and I don't get much back!
Our tax forms are so easy to fill that even a kid would do the work and if we make a mistake, we surely do not go to jail, unless we try to cheat the system.
Just the basic form is simple but we have a few more than that. I could do it I'm sure, but I choose not to.
@AbbyGreenhill If you work, especially as a self employed, the forms are a bit complicated, but once you are retired everything is very simple.
@LadyDuck It is simple until other issues arise.
When I was working I always had H&R Block do my taxes. I got the check in a day or so and I didn't mind paying the amount so that I never had to worry if there was a mistake made. WHich there never was. I have almost thrown some tax papers away too. Glad I have OCD and double check everything before I throw it away.
We used HR once and they made such a mess they even gave us the copies that belonged to someone else but had our names on them. They had to redo it all and it took hours. Then we started going to an independent accountant and she was cheaper and faster. I keep telling my husband, "when I'm gone don't throw out mail w/o opening it".
@AbbyGreenhill ......I never had a problem and they did an excellent job. Yep. You really need to open those odd letters.
@dragon54u (31636)
I pay $300 every month toward what I owe the damned IRS. I fell behind one year and was never able to catch up. Now I'm penalized for not having health insurance--it would cost me $1800 a month in premiums--and they tack that fine on every year to what I owe from previous years that I'm trying to pay. My son and I both lost our affordable insurance policies due to ACA regulations and his life was in danger so I put about $20k on my credit cards/personal loans that I'm paying off. So ObamaCare has cost me close to $30k in fines and expenses and stolen my insurance coverage and made a new policy completely unaffordable. I'm sitting here with heart disease symptoms and COPD and few choices in treatment. The IRS just makes my problems worse. So yes, some of us are getting poorer. I was doing well until the ACA was passed (Affordable Care Act) and now I barely make ends meet. Thanks, IRS devils and Obamacare. I hope things improve with a new administration and new tax laws but I sincerely doubt that anything will help out the struggling, sinking middle class because no one cares about us but us.
I don't have high hopes for a new administration making my life any better - I am more concerned about what the gop plans to do to SS and Medicare... Sorry you are gong through that but I don't know what to say and have no clue what you can do.
@dragon54u (31636)
@AbbyGreenhill Thanks for the kind words. There is nothing to do except keep my head above water as long as possible then sink. I'm 62 now so it won't be long for me. I just feel sorry for my children and grandchild. My children are already experiencing the treadmill of life and suspect they will not get ahead and my grandchild has no idea of the bleak life awaiting her at the hands of the IRS and corrupt politicians.
I do them online at one of the free sites.
With old age comes laziness.....
@AbbyGreenhill if I could afford it, I would totally do that too lol
• Trinidad And Tobago
Hate those things. When I was working I did those religiously. Now that I am early retired, I don't do any more. I think I am supposed to but I don't. Our country has enough oil money to get things done. Anyway taxpayer's money is just squandered away.
Aren't you worried - that if you are to pay taxes and you don't they will come and find you?
@LeaPea2417 (21939)
• Toccoa, Georgia
My husband has always done our taxes.
I always did my own up until about 10 years ago.
Garanteed: rich get richer and the poor get poorer
It has always been that way and I think it will be more so starting in a few weeks.
Abby we will always be rich in life.We have our taxes done. fair share.I am sure that there are plenty out there do not give fair share.Lot of cheaters,
Oh yes many cheat. People also 'work under the table' so they don't have to declare the money - those are the ones who should be turned in.
@dodo19 (33583)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Not always a pleasant time of the year, or something that we like to have to do, but we have to do anyway. Such is life. It needs to be done.
Absolutely and we do what's right, unlike some...LOL!